Serious talkof moving is here

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And while I would love to get back to where I am from its nerve wrecking. Mainly its the finding a place to live down there. I have family down there but none that would allow me to stay there while we find a place. I mean we have 2 adults 3 kids and 2 cats. And so far all of the places I have called within a reasonable price range will not rent to us with the cats. No amount of telling them they are altered so no spraying, no clawing rugs or walls (just my furniture and cat posts) seems to help this matter. I did talk to one place that said no they would not rent to us with the cats but would sale a place to us. Its mobile homes 500 down (or more) min, 30.00 app fee and payments depends on what trailer we would choose. So I will talk to the hubby and see what he says. If all else fails we will be taking a trip down there to see whats aval. but no listed in the news paper. My ex step mom is going to ask her landlord (she is buying) what they have aval. and if they can work out something for us.

All I know is I am not giving up my babies. No way No how. I will hide the fact that I have them before I give them up. I have been through that heart ache once in my life and never again.

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may help you even though I do not know where you are moving too. Several of our Humane Assn. posts a list of persons and rental agencies that rent to pet owners, even includes the additional costs if there are any or not, types of pets they will except ect. on their websites. Perhaps if they do not have a website for the ones in the area you are moving too, you could try calling and asking them. Just do a search for that area.

Wishing you the Best

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are wanting to move back to Jacksonville FL or surrounding areas like Middleburg.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whispern'Cats

This may help you even though I do not know where you are moving too. Several of our Humane Assn. posts a list of persons and rental agencies that rent to pet owners, even includes the additional costs if there are any or not, types of pets they will except ect. on their websites. Perhaps if they do not have a website for the ones in the area you are moving too, you could try calling and asking them. Just do a search for that area.

Wishing you the Best
That's a good idea. Or, even call some of the vets down in that area and see if there are any resources that they know of lists of rentals that allow pets. I've found that a lot of people don't want to rent to a family with dogs, but cats usually isn't such a big deal.

Good luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard quite a few people here say that they can't find a place to rent that accepts cats -- and it's just astounding to me! Much as I dislike the Dallas area, at least pets are generally accepted here. The pet deposits (and sometimes even pet RENT!) are outrageous, but at least animals are allowed.

It is common elsewhere around the US to exclude pets?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you find some place

Where I live they don't allow pets either, but that doesn't mean I listened! I had Chynna when I moved here. I didn't come out and tell them, but I didn't hide her when the caretaker or management came around either. I also got Abby since I've been here.

The agency has never said anything to me about my cats. They realize I keep the litter clean and don't let them run in the hall, and that I dispose of the litter properly. In fact when I was in the hospital, the caretaker was looking after my cats and the management was calling me at the hospital to give me updates

I just don't get why places have "no pets" policy. I guess they don't want people to have a zoo and maybe large noisey dogs, or exotic pets like monkeys or something. But to ban all pets? I just don't get that.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've heard quite a few people here say that they can't find a place to rent that accepts cats -- and it's just astounding to me! Much as I dislike the Dallas area, at least pets are generally accepted here. The pet deposits (and sometimes even pet RENT!) are outrageous, but at least animals are allowed.

It is common elsewhere around the US to exclude pets?
Hmmm, I don't know where you are looking, but my son hasn't had any issues renting with a cat and puppy. Destructive puppy.
My daughter lives in another state. One University owned complex wouldn't allow pets, one highrise restricted them to certain floors and the rest just had a deposit. None of them even had higher rates for apts with pets.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on your search. Nothing wrong with a single or double wide mobile home. Some of them are very nice. Just try to find a DECENT park and community.

I will pray y'all find something really soon that works out

The sad truth is that it IS hard to find places to rent that allow pets. You have so many irresponsible owners out there that it makes it harder and harder for us decent owners. We had some neighbors (they've moved several towns away now) that I would NEVER rent a place to them if I had a place. They are totally irresponsible with pets (did not neuter/spay) and destroyed a house they were renting in our neighborhood. No one in the area would rent to them.

We said that if we ever owned property to rent out, the people would sign a contract that the pets (dogs/cats) were spayed and neutered first and they would be limited to the number they could have - with very high fees for any damage done.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had better luck with larger management companies than individual landlords. Usually the big companies have a set policy (refundable/nonrefundable deposits, pet rent, etc).

We've had some pretty rude comments from private landlords (only have a few properties) when we asked about cats.
One even went so far as to tell us we were welcome to rent from them if we "got rid of" our cats.

We've also found that pet friendliness varies from area to area. Where we are now, sometimes a deposit required, usually refundable, rarely asked about declawed or not. We lived in Orange County California for a year, and it was definitely not pet friendly. Hard to find a place that took 2 cats, and always declawed required. When we lived in the Quad Cities, Iowa it kind of depended. In Davenport they were pretty strict & rent was high. But it seemed outside of the Quad Cities was a little bit more lax.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Craigslist has a neat feature that filters out the places that don't allow animals. Just go to the Craigslist site for whatever city you're interested in and click the cats checkbox. All the places that show up will allow cats (read the fine print though, some will only allow one cat and some have rextra rent charges for pets). But it will give you a starting point.

I know how hard it is; I had to find a place fast with 2 cats and a large-ish dog. But finding a place is possible, just be persistent when you search.