TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I may have killed my microwave!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I may have killed my microwave!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I am a complete idiot. Yesterday I was out all day and came back very tired, so I reached into the fridge for a plate of leftovers and shoved them in the microwave, then rushed to the loo. When I came out I smelled a sort of burning and found to my horror that my dinner was in a metal bowl and I hadn't noticed (shows what a state I was in!). There was arcing going on all over the microwave. I switched it off and hoped for the best but today when I turned it on (using a conventional plastic plate), there was still arcing and the funny smell. Looking it up online I think I may have damaged the magnetron through a combination of factors - the metal bowl which reflects the waves back at the magnetron, and no water in the bowl to absorb the waves. Any ideas/experience before I have to take it in to the repairers?
post #2 of 17
I think I would just get a new one, Jenny, it would probably cost more to fix it! Good thing you caught it early!
post #3 of 17
How old is it? Usually the repair costs are so high after such an incident that it's worthwhile just buying a new microwave.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
The problem is it is not just a microwave - it is a horribly expensive combi oven/grill/microwave, integrated into the cabinets. It took me months to research it, get it and buy it as it is a model and colour not available in France.
post #5 of 17
Maybe you should contact the manufacturer and see what they think. I'm afraid it might not be safe anymore, even if you can get it to work.

Could you just get another microwave and use it instead of the one in the combo unit?
post #6 of 17
IMO I'd just go out and get a new one, rather then try and fix it. Microwaves are pretty inexpensive now
post #7 of 17
uhm... hehehe.... oops? We all get days like that though eh?
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have a spare microwave only umit that I can use until I get hte main one sorted out. I have someone coming round next week to see if it can be fixed. I do hope so - I have so many unexpected expenses right now - including the discovery of woodworm in the rental cottage, which has to be treated before my new tenants arrive on the 17th of this month!
post #9 of 17
Can you microwave the woodworms in the damaged microwave?
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
I do hope so - I have so many unexpected expenses right now - including the discovery of woodworm in the rental cottage, which has to be treated before my new tenants arrive on the 17th of this month!
Woodworm isn't too expensive to treat yourself, and the results are pretty quick, once you manage to inject the poison into as many holes as possible.We got the poison and needles at the local pharmacy, and did two rounds in the space of a week, and that was it, other than vacuuming, scrubbing, and airing.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yes, I am looking at the best solution. What I can't do myself, though, is take the ceiling plasterboard down around the beams that need treating and then replace it. But I have a good cheap guy whom I hope is free to help me next week.
post #12 of 17
BTW, what is a woodworm?
post #13 of 17
must be in the air, my hubby did the same thing yesterday! what a smell!!
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Woodworm is a nasty little insect that lays eggs in dry wood (furniture and house beams are ideal) and then the larvae eat the wood. You can see them as little circular holes in affected pieces.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
BTW, what is a woodworm?
http://www.safeguardeurope.com/appli...s/woodworm.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworm

Basically, the larval stage of a variety of beetles.
post #16 of 17
Did you get the microwave working?

Mine broke last summer during some seriously hot days. I didn't realize how much I used it and how much I would miss it if I didn't have one.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have to wait till next week when my kitchen installer will be here to do some tiling. I don't want to take it to the repairers till he has seen it, as they will charge a fortune just to look at it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I may have killed my microwave!