kittie keeps stepping on poop in litter box - HELP

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HELP NEEDED PLS!

Our kittie has a tendency to step on his own poop-litter clump and gets a lot of mess stuck on the bottom of his hind leg(s). We've tried:

- get him a set diet (rotation of wet + 1 type of dry - all high quality: Felidae, Merrick, Wellness, Eagle Pack, etc) so loose stool has been eliminated

- replaced a jumbo size litter box for him to allow plenty of room to roam around

- bought a supply of high quality litter liner, so he can scratch without ahving to worry about puncturing the liner

- got him 3 selections of litter and have him choose his favorite (Nature's Miracle)

- gave him a sanitary shave (i.e. "Butt Cut"
)

And poor boy still get stuffs stuck on him weekly. He feels so bad too. You hear his meow, his disdain on being wiped, and embarrassment afterward. So it's tough for us (to clean him) and for him (poor kittie).

What can we do? Help, someone? Help our kittie. Help us!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by efrost6

HELP NEEDED PLS!

Our kittie has a tendency to step on his own poop-litter clump and gets a lot of mess stuck on the bottom of his hind leg(s). We've tried:

- get him a set diet (rotation of wet + 1 type of dry - all high quality: Felidae, Merrick, Wellness, Eagle Pack, etc) so loose stool has been eliminated

- replaced a jumbo size litter box for him to allow plenty of room to roam around

- bought a supply of high quality litter liner, so he can scratch without ahving to worry about puncturing the liner

- got him 3 selections of litter and have him choose his favorite (Nature's Miracle)

- gave him a sanitary shave (i.e. "Butt Cut"
)

And poor boy still get stuffs stuck on him weekly. He feels so bad too. You hear his meow, his disdain on being wiped, and embarrassment afterward. So it's tough for us (to clean him) and for him (poor kittie).

What can we do? Help, someone? Help our kittie. Help us!
Why not ask the Vet for suggestions?

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is he? and is it a clumping litter or regular?
When I first got Zoe, she managed to step in it a few times too, so I feel yours and kitties pain....
I had started out using the regular non clumping litter because of her age, but after all the problems and watching her closely to know that she didn't try to eat the litter, etc. I switched to a good clumping litter, got a bigger litter pan (actually a low sided rubbermaid to get it big enough) and that solved the problem for us. Well as far as stepping in it anyways....I still keep her "Butt Cuts" up cause that just makes life sooo much easier for us all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

How old is he? and is it a clumping litter or regular?
When I first got Zoe, she managed to step in it a few times too, so I feel yours and kitties pain....
I had started out using the regular non clumping litter because of her age, but after all the problems and watching her closely to know that she didn't try to eat the litter, etc. I switched to a good clumping litter, got a bigger litter pan (actually a low sided rubbermaid to get it big enough) and that solved the problem for us. Well as far as stepping in it anyways....I still keep her "Butt Cuts" up cause that just makes life sooo much easier for us all!
We use Nature's Miracle clumping (corn-based). He doesn't eat the litter also. But I still can't figure out why he's stepping on them.

We tried using regular amount of litter (~2-3 inch thick). Now, we're doing it with a thinner amount, so he can see where his poop is.

One thing that we're noticed is that he doesn't cover his poop sometimes, especially when we use 2-3 inches thick amount of litter. On a thinner layer, he does cover them.

Regardless, he steps on it about once a week. It's getting impossible to keep him clean, because that would mean that we have to check him everytime he goes.

Any other pointers?