Unacceptable Urinating

axis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 month old, intact, male kitten named Bradley. I have had for 2 months now and he has transformed from a "little jerk" as I liked to refer to him, into a pretty good little kitten. I work with him for at least an hour a day, which includes playing with toys, affection and discipline if needed. That usually is just me picking him up and taking him out of the behavior, after I tell him no, sometimes putting him in the bathroom. But this is where the problem lies.

Bradley has quite a personality and is coming of age. If he doesn't like something, he lets me know by urinating in the general area. When he harasses our 2 year old cat on the bed when it is time to go to sleep, I let him know that is not acceptable by putting him on the ground. Sometimes he decides to jump back up a few minutes later and pee on the covers. He has done that 2-3 times. Today he was upset when I wouldn't let him outside, he was pacing in the window seal, howling, so I closed the blinds. He pee'd in the corner under the window. And just about 20 minutes ago, I took away a bag of sunflower seeds that I just bought and he was curious about, I was afraid he would spill them. So he decided to pee on the couch. This was very upsetting, because a couch isn't as easy to clean as a carpet.

So that is the dilemma, but I will give more info so nothing is left out. He has been to the vet to check for medical problems, I use Sweat Litter in a closed top litter box, our other cat is a fixed female, also checked up and fine. I feed the cats a 100% home made diet, alternating with chicken or rabbit.

I am pretty knowledgeable about cats, I have had them since I was a boy, but I have never seen a "vengeful" cat. Has anyone else had this kind of scenario? I plan on having him neutered, but I am trying to hold out until he is at least 6 months old. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

axis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No UTI. He has already had his checkups and additional checkups. I also don't think it is marking either, he only does it when he doesn't get his way or if he gets in trouble.

But that Feliway is pretty interesting.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are expecting way too much of Bradley for his age and possibly the stress of dealing with that plus the other cat may be causing the 'accidents' (which may not be so much intentional or even accidental as just a matter of inability to discipline himself). I'm sure it is very frustrating for you to live with, but I wonder if it's possible to confine him to a single large room for a while, one that is 'pee-proofed' short term (few wks?) maybe with plastic over the bed, no carpet of consequence, etc., but toys or even a small cat tree that he likes, plus food, an open top box of unscented litter, and water. Don't think in terms of 'discipline' yet - he's really just a bundle of urges, instincts, wonderment, etc. at this point, with almost no cause and effect connection (even much older cats seem to have trouble with that!). And maybe if he gets back to a proper box routine for a while, and feels more secure there in future, you could eventually retry getting the two cats together under supervision, but always having a separate box for each one.

teddybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem with my 3 m/o Teddy. Rather than doing it when he doesnt get his way, Teddy just does it when he cant be bothered, i guess, to go to the litter tray. He only does this sometimes though..normally he uses his litter tray as he has done since he was a baby, but its just lately he has started doing it. We put him in the bathroom withhis litter tray/water/food and toys over night and i think its working. I also give him treats when i catch him using the litter tray. You can also wipe vinegar on areas u dont want him to go near, but im sure u dont want to wipe vinegar all over the house!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like Bradley is a stressed out kitten. I think he needs more freedom to be a kitten. Less discipline and more understanding I say.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's old enough now to be neutered. That may stop all the urinating on things. And also have him checked for UTI - he's young and its probably not that, but have it checked by the vet.

If you hold out, he may start MORE spraying on things and the older he gets, the worse the smell and trying to get it out of things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

axis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies everyone.

But keeping Bradley confined in a room wouldn't be possible, all my rooms are high traffic and he is a bit too fast to catch. He darts outside pretty often when we open the screen door, even when we try to prevent him from doing it.

Our other cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, who spends most of the day outside until night time, then she comes in. She avoids Bradley at all costs because he wrestles with her way too much and she doesn't like to stand up for herself.

Honestly, we try to keep the environment as stress free as possible. We lost a 6/mo kitten to FIP and that broke our hearts. We figured the vet visits, bad diet, antibiotics and neutering too close together stressed him out and the virus mutated into FIP. So we are cautious of stress. We haven't moved and nothing has really changed to start all of this behavior, it has been here since day one.

I think neutering Bradley might be the option we are looking at. But please keep any suggestions coming.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He's old enough now to be neutered. That may stop all the urinating on things. And also have him checked for UTI - he's young and its probably not that, but have it checked by the vet.

If you hold out, he may start MORE spraying on things and the older he gets, the worse the smell and trying to get it out of things!
you said your still looking for other options... why isn't neutering him your top choice?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a chance he might be a little older then you think and just is smaller in size? We have a cat at the shelter now that everyone thought was 12 weeks old and she is actually over 3 according to the vet and the shape of her teeth. If your cat has his adult teeth already that puts him closer to the 6 month range which could explain his peeing/spraying.

I would definitely neuter him. If it continues though or you can't neuter him for whatever reason, try putting him in a dog crate to basically retrain him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely have him neutered to see if that stops the problem. He seems young - but vets can be wrong about the age, and cats do mature at different rates.

Also, if you do not have at least 2 or 3 litter boxes (you said the other kitty is indoor/outdoor), I would add a minimum of one, if not two, and make sure that one is uncovered (or buy a covered one and leave the cover off to see if that helps - if it's not the problem, put the cover on). Then the rest is easiest this way:

I posted this in this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153534 yesterday:

Originally Posted by LDG

I feel your pain.
Been there ourselves.

The first time we had a problem with Spooky, what we did was

1) buy the Feliway plug-in diffusers,

2) added Cat Attract to the litter (I don't think the Cat Attract Litter existed as such yet),

3) gave Spooky 10 - 15 minutes of extra play time both morning and evening.

4) We purchased Multicat Household Harmony flower essences - I think you should try the Calm & Serene flower essences (available here: http://www.catfaeries.com )

5) That same site sells large quantity Anti-Icky Poo enzyme cleaner. It may work better than what you've been using. And with a gallon bottle, you can shake it up and pour it on the cushions and in the cracks of the couch. We used about half a gallon each application. If urine can get down there, another liquid can get down there. On our couch with the attached cushions, we purchased Nok-Out (http://www.nokout.com). It is safe for animals and leaves your couch smelling slightly like bleach. We had to apply it three times before the smell went completely away. It took at least a week to dry with each application - though it was summer and more humid. We covered the cushions with aluminum foil and kept a throw blanket handy. When we wanted to sit on the couch, we put the throw blanket down over the foil and sat on it like that, and we folded it up and set it on the mantle when we weren't using it - but this way it doesn't matter how long it takes to dry.

6) We also set the litterbox on the couch with the cat attract additive on the litter when we weren't using the couch. Then we set it on the floor in front of the couch. Then we set it next to the couch. Then we moved it about a foot a day until it was where we wanted it.

7) Thankfully Spooky only peed on the end of the mattress (where are feet are). But it doesn't much matter - we poured about 1/2 a gallon of Nok-Out in the area, covered it with thick towels, and then made the bed. We changed the thick towels under the sheets every day for three days - it was dry enough on the top of the mattress to just leave a thick towel in that spot after that. We placed a litter box on the bed over where she peed when we weren't using the bed - when we were, we placed it on the floor at the foot of the bed. Then we did the same thing there - we moved the box about a foot a day (with the cat attract additive in the box) until it was back where we wanted it (in the hallway outside the bedroom). Thankfully the mattress didn't need another application after that.

If you have two litter boxes, I'd consider adding a third - and perhaps do try one with out a cover. With your covered ones, if you have the swinging doors on them, consider taking the swinging door off of one of them.

I know you live in a small apartment - but for two years we lived in an RV that was 8' wide by 37' long with five cats. We had 3 litter boxes, and I scooped probably 3x a day. It never smelled of kitty pee or poop unless kitty had just taken a stinky poop. We have several cats that don't do a good job of covering their business.

Also, have you purchased a black light to go through the house to make sure you've gotten all the spots?

The next step after all of that is confining her to a very large crate or small room. I know you don't want to do the litter box retraining because of her sister, so if you don't want to go that route, then you'd really have to consider an anti-anxiety medication.

The next time we had a problem with Spooky all this stuff didn't work. We used an anti-anxiety medication, Elavil (amitryptaline). Others recommend Buspar. Buspar you can just stop - Elavil you have to wean them off the med, you can't just stop giving it. We used it on Spooky for four months then weaned her off over a couple weeks. She slept a lot for the first three weeks on it, but the peeing outside the box stopped pretty much immediately. And once we weaned her off of it, it didn't start again.

A couple months ago she peed outside the box. I freaked - I thought it was happening again. But we took her to the vet - it turned out she had two teeth that were hurting her. They needed to be pulled. When she came home - no more peeing outside the box. So it was just her way of letting us know she was in pain. *phew*

Laurie
Also, the best way to disclipline kitty is in his langauge. Blow a short, sharp puff of air in his face when he's doing something he shouldn't be. Also, if he isn't teething already, he will be. (If the vet's wrong about his age, he probably has his adult teeth in). For this stage, scatter an entire box of bendy straws around the house. If he attacks feet or ankles, blow the short, sharp puff of air into his face, give him a bendy straw and walk away. He needs to learn that inappropriate anger gets him ignored - not that it gets him attention, or you will regret this for a long time to come.

Also, just as it's important to let him know what is not OK, it is important to let him know what IS OK. When you see him use the box, or when he's playing appropriately, praise him to high heaven.

But make sure you use an enzyme cleaner (like Nature's Miracle, Anti-Icky Poo or Nok Out) wherever he's peed, and get a black light to go through the entire house to make sure you've gotten all the spots (they'll turn up as orange splotches).

Good luck,

Laurie

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LDG quoted herslef and mentioned extra attention. Another member here had a pee problem and has been giving the "problem" kitty lots of extra love and cuddles and has now been pee-free for a week. It's an easy thing to do that is actually good for our health too so in addition to getting him neutered try some extra lovin'.