My step son has a seperated shoulder....

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you say OUCH?? Poor kid, hes such a clutz,lol...but he was ice skating yesterday with a school function(out of town) and he slipped and fell! Seperated his shoulder. I can tell hes in pain. They did xrays and just put it in a sling and gave him pain meds. Does anyone know if they will want to do surgery? Or is that something that has to heal on its own??

If you would spare some vibes, it would be appreciated
I know hes in pain. He is a tough kid and not one to complain, but this is obviously really hurting him.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sending many vibes for a happy healthy kid again! Surgery depends on the extent of the damage to his shoulder...they will probably know for sure whether it needs to be done within the next 6 weeks.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure - I had a dislocated shoulder once - I think that's the same. Anway, it was moved over about two inches, and it took months and months of physio to get back to "normal" again. I say "normal", but I have to baby it now and do exercises to keep the muscles in shape or it will slip out again.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make an appt with an othopedic surgeon. They will be able to tell you better than the ER guys.

My husband separated his shoulder while sliding into 3rd base. He was in a sling for 8 weeks. And the worst part was not being to wash his arm pit the way it needed to be washed- can we say stinky after playing baseball in June. He was still in the sling when our second child was born. I had to mow the lawn during that time - and it was on a slope.
And he is fine, BTW.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Make an appt with an othopedic surgeon. They will be able to tell you better than the ER guys.

My husband separated his shoulder while sliding into 3rd base. He was in a sling for 8 weeks. And the worst part was not being to wash his arm pit the way it needed to be washed- can we say stinky after playing baseball in June. He was still in the sling when our second child was born. I had to mow the lawn during that time - and it was on a slope.
And he is fine, BTW.
Yeah he is going to the family doctor tomorrow, and we will see what he has to say, and go from there. He does have it in a sling and has been keeping ice on it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex did that once..and then afterwards it was weaker and it would just come out for no reason..like if he was laying down or something. Any amount of pressure would make it seperate so he had to get surgery. We must have been 17 when that happened.

I hope your stepson doesn't need surgery