Need Help! Exotic Fur Matting

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My baby cat is an exotic and I am at a loss with how to deal with his fur! I tried combing it out, it just doesn't happen. I tried cutting knots out but the fur remains stuck together in clumps, only shorter! People think he looks cute in this scruffy way, but really he deserves better. What can I do to 1) fix this and 2) maintain his fur looking nice?

Thanks,

Breindel

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of food are are you feeding. Is his coat oily if its sticking together? How often do you groom him?

Exotics DO need to be groomed more then other shorthair cats as their fur is dense. While they don't need daily combing like their longhair persian cousins, they do need several times a week combing.

Are you using a brush or a fine tooth comb?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi GoldenKitty,

No, we haven't brushed him enough. We kept losing the cat brushes and then took a while before buying another one.

Do you have an Exotic? I'm wondering how to get the knots out and then maybe hopefully if we brush him everyday, they will stay out.

Do you know how to get the knots out?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need a fine-toothed comb if you want to groom properly - not a brush - they really don't do much for shorthair or longhair cats.

No I don't own Exotics, I like my "easy to groom" cats - rexes and Ocicats
But I've shown enough cats and am familiar with most breeds and the grooming. I always thought the Exotics would be an easy cat - learned from Persian/Exotic breeders this is NOT true.

Get the knots out gently with the comb. And start grooming 2-3 times a week and see what happens. Also be sure you are feeding a quality cat food (dry and canned).

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks. Yes I do feed quality cat foods. I switch so they have variety, right now they are trying Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul but also eat Felidae, Go! Natural, or Innovo Evo (I tried Wellness's new all-protein but it made the older cat throw up) and when I've run out I'll get Iams at the super market until I get back to a pet store. For canned, they don't have it all the time but every few months I pick up Merrick's or my grocer carries Evanger's.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pay a groomer first to get the knots out and then start myself. Do you mean a human's fine tooth comb?

Breindel

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, do a search for Pet Supplies Catalog (Foster & Smith or Jeffers) they have good grooming combs. I usually get my supplies from cat shows (combs, clippers, etc.) when I'm showing.

So you could look for a local or nearby show and attend as a spectator and pick up what you need. Talk to a few persian/exotic breeders/owners and ask for their help in picking out the right grooming needs.

I don't know how knotted/tangled your cat's coat is. Seems that a groomer would not really be needed. Can you post a few pictures of the problem - there are persian people here that may help you too.

If you are willing to go over to Atlantic City in February, here's info on when and where the show will be held:

Feb 23-24(L). NJ, MORRISTOWN ATLANTIC CITY: Atlantic City NJ National Guard Armory, 1008 Absecon Blvd & N. NY Ave.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

No, do a search for Pet Supplies Catalog (Foster & Smith or Jeffers) they have good grooming combs. I usually get my supplies from cat shows (combs, clippers, etc.) when I'm showing.

So you could look for a local or nearby show and attend as a spectator and pick up what you need. Talk to a few persian/exotic breeders/owners and ask for their help in picking out the right grooming needs.

I don't know how knotted/tangled your cat's coat is. Seems that a groomer would not really be needed. Can you post a few pictures of the problem - there are persian people here that may help you too.
OK that sounds like a great idea! My DD has a digital camera, I'll ask her to post them. Should I do it on this thread or is there a better section where Persian and Exotic breeders would see the post?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you can work the mats out yourself. It may depend on how bad they are and how close to the skin they are. But once you get a comb just work at them a little bit at a time. Sometimes it helps to try to seperate them a bit with your fingers first. If the mats don't come apart very easily then you may have to go to a groomer. Then you can start a good preventative grooming routine. Here's a good example of a decent comb:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

And this is the comb I use. I really like it. You also may want to invest in a furminator to use regularly after you get the mats out.

Please post your pictures here as this is the grooming section. And I'd love to take a look at them!

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Mzjazz,

Thanks. For some reason when I first bought him and asked the breeder what to use she said a regular cat brush. You'd think she'd know. Anyway, I'll try to get a photo posted soon. Those combs look really good. What is a furminator?

Edna

Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Hopefully you can work the mats out yourself. It may depend on how bad they are and how close to the skin they are. But once you get a comb just work at them a little bit at a time. Sometimes it helps to try to seperate them a bit with your fingers first. If the mats don't come apart very easily then you may have to go to a groomer. Then you can start a good preventative grooming routine. Here's a good example of a decent comb:

And this is the comb I use. I really like it. You also may want to invest in a furminator to use regularly after you get the mats out.

Please post your pictures here as this is the grooming section. And I'd love to take a look at them!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious as to who the breeder is - IMO a good breeder would KNOW how to groom their cats and be more helpful then to just say "use a normal brush". Sounds like he/she didn't know the first thing about grooming

When I bred/showed rexes, I could tell a owner what to use, how to groom and how to NOT groom. One owner bought two kittens to show. She wanted me to show them for her (1st time) which I did. She brought the kittens to the show and I was horrified at what she did. I specifically told her what to wash them in and how to groom. She told me she used dish soap (you wash rexes in Nexxus shampoo). The dish soap had dried the coat out horrible PLUS she blew dried the rexes- you NEVER do that!

I took the kittens home and rewashed it properly that night. Next day when she picked up the kittens from the show, one of the kittens had gotten a final - because it was groomed right.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bloob & valo

Hi Mzjazz,

Thanks. For some reason when I first bought him and asked the breeder what to use she said a regular cat brush. You'd think she'd know. Anyway, I'll try to get a photo posted soon. Those combs look really good. What is a furminator?

Edna
Well, all I can say is not all breeders are created equal!

The furminator is a grooming tool. It's a bit pricey but it worth it. You can get them at Petsmart or many other pet stores for around $30. Some people have gotten them on ebay for around $20. Here's a link with information about them:

http://www.furminator.com/

Sorry I don't have more time to explain the FurMinator in more detail today. I have my 5 month old grandson and he's not feeling good today. So I have precious little time on the internet!

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, the Furminator looks great! Thanks again for taking the time to give me this info, especially with a little angel on your hands today!

Breindel

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to my Exotic breeder/show friends there are only two reasons an exotic would matt:

1. Insufficient combing
2. Greasy or oily fur

For the first, I would recommend that you invest in teflon coated combs such as these:

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p...lon-Combs.aspx

and comb daily.

For the second, well, only bathing regularly, say, twice a month with the RIGHT shampoos and conditioners is the answer.

It is a common misconception that Exotics are less work than Persians. This is not true at all. They require the same amount of care as Persians. Granted drying time is much faster!

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

According to my Exotic breeder/show friends there are only two reasons an exotic would matt:

1. Insufficient combing
2. Greasy or oily fur

For the first, I would recommend that you invest in teflon coated combs such as these:

and comb daily.

For the second, well, only bathing regularly, say, twice a month with the RIGHT shampoos and conditioners is the answer.

It is a common misconception that Exotics are less work than Persians. This is not true at all. They require the same amount of care as Persians. Granted drying time is much faster!
Hi thanks!

Thanks, Abymummy!

This is great info. Which comb should I buy? medium, medium/coarse or coarse (I don't know what it means)

Also do Exotics need to be washed that often, because my other cat never does? Or is it just for Exotics whose fur is matted or the oily problem if the comb doesn't work?

Thanks

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have the medium/coarse for my Persian and Norwegian, and yes, I use it on my shorthairs too!

As for the bathing...I only know breeders/show peeps. And they always advise that Exotics should be bathed at the minimum once a month if there's no problem with the coat. Since you are having a problem with matting, I can only assume that you do have an oily coat problem, which means, at least for the next few months, you have to bathe twice monthly until the problem sorts itself out.

My Persian Dumdum gets bathed at a minimum of once a month now. We had a problem with staining a while back (he has eye problems), this time last year actually, and that meant a bath at least every 10 days. He's no show cat but he gets a show groom every month none the less. The problem was resolved by March if I can recall correctly. It's good practice for me!
Dumdum gets combed daily...

ETA: I really prefer the teflon combs even though it's more costly for two reasons:

1. It does reduce the amount of static
2. Unless you force the issue, it doesn't pull at the hair which normal stainless steel combs do.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi OK that's what I'll do! I'll get the medium-coarse comb. Do have a preference between the two links you sent me? Also what shampoo should I get?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't want to bathe your cat until all the mats are out of the coat or he will get matted even worse. Use a conditioning shampoo. I prefer the ones with oatmeal in them. Don't use anything that says it has tea tree oil in it. I have an excellent recipe for cats with greasy coats too (if that is your cat's problem).

Rub down with Goop hand cleaner (plain/white NOT orange).

Rinse

Shampoo with Dawn Dishwashing liquid

Rinse

Shampoo with your regular pet conditioning shampoo

Rinse with 2-3 Tablespoons of white vinegar to 2-3 gals of warm water.

This works beautifully on greasy coat kitties. It sounds like a lot but after the first time or two it will only take you about 15 minutes to complete all steps.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I agree with getting the mats out first and with the tea tree aspect!

As for the balance of it....

Yes to the goop, but I disagree with the immediate rinse. (No offense intended.) You should leave the goop on for at least 5 mins to make sure it works.

Rinse, rinse, rinse.

You need a clarifying pet shampoo (but that's IMO since I've never used Dawn). I'm a breeder/show person, I always use shampoos made for cats. Maybe something like Jerob's One Step Grease Removing Shampoo. You can use this without starting with Goop, but it may take a longer time to work.

http://jerob.net/1step.html

Then condition maybe something like this:

http://www.jerob.net/creme_rinse.html

And the vinegar rinse last of all.

You could also use All Systems #1 Crisp Coat (diluted) and All Systems # Botanical Conditioner (diluted).

http://mjmcompany.com/1allsystems-grooming.htm

No, I am not sponsored by Jerob or for All Systems #1 and yes, for show grooming I do use other brand names. I'm just using them as an example. Make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse and when you think he's clean of shampoo/ conditioner, rinse again!

Since I cannot touch/feel your cat's coat, I cannot recommend anything more than that.

My cats' bathroom is filled with many different types of shampoos, conditioners, re-texturizers. But I repeat again, I breed/show, not just a cat lover!