Mind over matter? Mind over pain????

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure y'all know that my wrist is seriously messed up. I got a cortisone shot a week before Christmas and it worked (mostly - much less pain, less swelling) for about a week. Then the pain started coming back. By 2 to 2-1/2 weeks, the pain and full swelling was back full force. I am already on Celebrex, which is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory (NSAID), and while it does help (proven when I ran out accidentally) it doesn't take the pain or swelling away. I'm at the point again now that when I take Advil (Tylenol and Aleve don't do anything for me), it really only works for about 15-30 minutes, and then I just have to wait until it's been 4 hours so I can take the next dose, while still staying under the recommended daily dose of 6 caplets per day.

I'm seeing my orthopedic surgeon on Friday, and honestly, I really hope she says that we'll go ahead with the ulnar osteotomy (ulnar shortening - taking 2-5 mm of bone out of my ulna to alleviate the pressure and impaction on the cartilage and ligaments).
You know it's bad when surgery sounds GOOD!
But until then, and/or until we get a definitive diagnosis and/or second opinion and/or the surgery scheduled, I really have to find a way to deal with this pain and still go on with life. I still have to work, which involves a lot of typing. And I still have to just go on doing the stuff I need to do - like driving, eating, doing kitty chores (scooping, feeding, fresh water), etc. I can't keep popping Advil like they're candy - I hate doing it now, and I worry about what it could be doing to my stomach. I know there are others out there with much worse pain than what I have, and it's difficult to quantify pain in any case - but let me put it this way: I went to the Avalanche vs Islanders game tonight with GREAT seats (14 rows from the ice!), a very competitive and great game, and since I couldn't take any more Advil until the start of the 2nd Period, and it didn't kick in until the intermission, I really didn't even enjoy myself until the 3rd Period and Overtime (when we won!). But that really made me realize that I need to find other ways to cope.

Does anyone have any tips on pain management with mind over matter or meditation? Anyone with chronic pain have any tips to help me deal with this? My doctors are very hesitant to prescribe anything more powerful than Celebrex (read: narcotics), and I don't blame them. So I'm pretty well stuck with the drugs I have.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well first of all that the pain subsides. I have chronic neck pain due to stress and some bad side effects of a BC I was on. I used to see a great massage therapist who would work wonders on my neck. But alas you pain is in your wrist. Have you thought about acupuncture? It was recommended to me with rave reviews from many people. I have yet to try it due to a lack of money but it's my next step in trying to get my pain and migraines under control. I'm at my wits end with the pain and I'm not ready to do anything abrasive like surgery.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've grown to just ignore what I can unless it stops me from doing something - ie getting out of bed, walking, moving my arms, etc.

Why are you worried about a narcotic? Have you ever taken any before - if so, which ones? (if you don't mind sharing that info)

Myself I have Ultram 50mg (tramadol) to take as needed for pain, and that's only if I know I'll be in a lot of pain or already am. It only has one really noticeable side effect for me... it makes me chatty.
No buzz, no drowsiness, no out of it feeling.
It's one of the starter meds that most people can take if they haven't gotten used to a stronger narcotic and is generally viewed as none addictive. But as long as you don't abuse medicine, of any kind, you're not going to end up addicted.

Take care of your stomach, NSAIDs will tear it up quicker than you think.
If they're upsetting your stomach already you can try taking Prilosec a little while before you take the NSAID. Also - if your doctor didn't tell you already, don't mix NSAIDs. If you've taken the Celebrex, don't take naproxen or ibuprofen too.

You may be able to try some supplements that can help decrease inflammation. Each person responds differently though, so they may not help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not so much that I'm worried about narcotics, it's that my doctors are. My orthopedic surgeon said that the DEA has gotten to really scrutinizing any narcotic prescriptions so she's hesitant to write them unless it's really (i.e. following surgery) necessary. We asked about something stronger for the pain.
She recommended that I take Advil along with the Celebrex for pain during the day, but I'm planning on talking to her about it when I see her. It's hard to make a doctor understand the level of pain you're in, you know?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

It's hard to make a doctor understand the level of pain you're in, you know?
Offer to hit her on the wrist with a hammer a couple of times?

She could prescribe them. There are thousands of people taking them that haven't had any surgeries. The first doctor I went to for the arthritis in my pelvis was an orthopedic surgeon, he didn't want me on any either.
Maybe orthopedic surgeons are feeling more pressure to keep their patients off them? ..considering some surgeries fail and the person is still left with chronic pain, I suppose those docs would have a lot of people taking them.

There is an unjust social stigma that goes along with prescription narcotics. And it's sad that those who really do need them are being punished because of those that get them illegally.
Don't let that keep you away from any medicine if you need it - you don't deserve to be in pain.

By the way, I hope your orthopedic surgeon is a lot better then the one I seen. He was a bit of a hack.
There were obvious problems visible on my pelvis/lumbar x-ray and he didn't see them! Get a second opinion if you feel for any reason that you are not being given thorough treatment or that your doctor isn't listening to you.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty good idea of how much pain you are in. About 7 years ago I was hit by a big 2-tonne truck while I was riding my bike. The result was a spiral fracture in my wrist. I needed surgery along with a cast for 16 months. I can't really suggest anything "natural" for the pain. The mind can block out some things, but pain like this is too intense. The only thing I can suggest for the pain is to ask your doctor for something called a wrist block. It's normally only used before extreme surgeries but I have heard of it being done for pain relief as well. Basically what it is, is the doctor will inject morphine into the 2 main veins in your wrist. It's incredibly potent and I guarantee you won't feel any pain in your wrist for at least a few hours.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had some suggestions, but I read this hoping to see some tips for me

As for them not understanding your pain level, they should simply be asking you to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. It doesn't matter that what you experience as a level of pain you'd rate a 4 might be someone else's cause to feel a 9, it's a subjective scale that gives them a way to understand how much pain you are experiencing.

I know that pt really helped me get past the crying every day, as did the nsaid (relafen) that I am on.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be really careful when taking the NSAIDs. I was taking Arthrotec for chronic elbow pain (injections only worked about 3 weeks for me, so I know what you're going through.) I ended up with ARF (acute renal failure) with a creatinine of 5.9. I was hospitalized for the weekend, had IVPs done, and a nephrologist consult. Apparently I had sloughed a renal papilla (renal papillary necrosis), due to analgesic nephropathy, and had tons of blood and protein in my urine. I immediately stopped the NSAID, they did several fluid bolus(s) on me, and my creatinine dropped over the weekend, eventually returning to normal. It was pretty frightening, as I think I was looking at dialysis in my future, if my creatinine didn't go down.

I'm not supposed to take ANY NSAIDs anymore, but with the spondylolisthesis in my lumbar spine, sometimes I have to take something for the pain. My T.E.N.S unit helps a lot. Unfortunately, it's not something I can wear to bed, because the electrode pads get all messed up when I thrash around in my sleep (I'm a restless sleeper.) My back is always agony when I wake up in the morning.

Ask your doctor if you can at least try a T.E.N.S. unit. It might not be the type of pain that would be helped by one, but it also might be something that could tide you over until you can have the surgery.

Chronic pain really does seem to color your entire perception of EVERYTHING! Good luck. I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

Well first of all that the pain subsides. I have chronic neck pain due to stress and some bad side effects of a BC I was on. I used to see a great massage therapist who would work wonders on my neck. But alas you pain is in your wrist. Have you thought about acupuncture? It was recommended to me with rave reviews from many people. I have yet to try it due to a lack of money but it's my next step in trying to get my pain and migraines under control. I'm at my wits end with the pain and I'm not ready to do anything abrasive like surgery.
Just a quick, short, hijack. I've been hearing a lot about Botox injections being looked at for people with chronic migraines. Incidental evidence of migraine sufferers who have had cosmetic botox injections....resulting in much fewer migraine attacks.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

You might want to try some massage therapy. I'm sure the pain is causing the muscles in your neck, shoulders, and arm to tighten up and contribute to the pain. You also might look into relaxation techniques like yoga breathing or meditation.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your doctor prescribes OxyContin (Oxycotton, Oxy Cotton) for pain, please refuse to take it. It is one of the most addictive drugs there are.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the only thing that really helps with bone pain is Morphine.

All things like Advil, Celebrex and Aleve do is reduce swelling and inflammation in the tissue. It does nothing for the source of the pain itself...which is bone pressing against bone.

You really need something stronger than what you have. No one should be living with pain. They should at least prescribe you some Morphine on a short term basis until they can get you into surgery.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I really hope that your doc does decide surgery. Really honestly its better than taking the next step.

B has nerve damage in his lower back. This was a result of years of misdiagnosis and medications being given out. He woke up one morning and lost control of his bladder and couldn't move. After several years of this he FINALLY got an MRI done and the doctors terms were basicaly "Holy
"
The only that helps with the pain is Neurotin, however the dosage that he was given basically made him see the floor come out and attack him. So he weaned himself off of it.

He finally found that Excedrin Back & Body helps with his pain during his "rougher" days (he doesn't take it everyday). Maybe try that for now?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morphine, Neurotin, these are additive drugs. I don't want to recommend surgery, but I think that you might prefer occupational therapy after the surgery to drug rehab. Just IMO.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I know it is sharky. But since it's a weaker opioid people usually tolerate it well without too bad of side effects. Thats why I suggested it since she's a bit worried about narcotics - it may not be enough to even touch the pain though.

Originally Posted by butzie

Morphine, Neurotin, these are additive drugs. I don't want to recommend surgery, but I think that you might prefer occupational therapy after the surgery to drug rehab. Just IMO.
Ah, there's that stigma again. Have you personally been on each of these medications? or been in so much pain that you would need them? PT only works for so much.

Many antidepressants are just as addicting (as in leaving the person dependent on them/causing withdrawls), yet people recommend them without a second thought.
If the person needs a medication then they need it, and as it has already been side - not much else will help bone on bone pain.

On a related note though, being addicted and dependent isn't the same thing. At this time I'm sort of dependent on relafen (or any NSAID) to keep inflammation down - if I skip doses I end up in more pain, I sure as heck am not addicted to them.
I'm sure many other people feel the same way I do - we'd toss the junk in the trash and never look back if we didn't need them.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

On a related note though, being addicted and dependent isn't the same thing. At this time I'm sort of dependent on relafen (or any NSAID) to keep inflammation down - if I skip doses I end up in more pain, I sure as heck am not addicted to them.
I'm sure many other people feel the same way I do - we'd toss the junk in the trash and never look back if we didn't need them.
Here is another thread hijack. When I first started taking relafen I didn't think it was doing that much for my pain. The I had to stop taking it for ten days prior to carpal tunnel surgery.

By day ten I was in so much pain the nurses kept asking if I was sure it was my wrist that was the problem.

Now I am on a stronger dose of Relafen and also take Ultracet. This is a combination of Acetaminophen and Tramadol. Then a year or so ago the rheumatologist added Plaquenil.

The point of my hijack is. At this point I don't care if I am dependent or addicted I have no plans of giving up any of my drugs.

In the beginning it used to bother me that I had to take so many drugs. (Actually I did give up the antidepressant that I was on. Mostly because of the cost and I didn't see that it helped much.) But now when the pain hits I have no problem taking the drugs.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First off I have to say, hon I am so sorry you are in so much pain. About 4-5 months ago I was in so much pain I could not move in the mornings, and broke down at night. I have Lupus. It causes servere pain in small joints like your hands, wrists, ankles, and feet. I tried heat, i tried cold, I tried everything you can imagine, ibuporphen, naproxen, acetamenophine, I even tried some of my grandfathers percocet, (with his permission), and nothing helped. They hurt so bad that subconciously in the middle of the night I would curl my hands under and sleep on them. And make them numb, so I did not feel them. Unfortunatley the only thing that is helping me now is a regimine of steroids and anti-malarials. Hopefully I will be able to be weaned off of them in February, as my immune system seems to be calming itself down. . . Steriods are concidered "addictive" but I promise that if I did not have to take them, I would do just as strange_wings said, and I would throw them off the side of the bridge. If narcotics are going to be the only thing to alleviate the pain, then it is important that you take them. If you are not a recovering alcoholic or drug user, or have never been addicted to anything, it is worth giving it a try. It is my understanding they are less harmful to your body than typical NSAIDs. Too much of them can really mess up your stomach or even your liver. I am now pain free thanks to my medication and I am so thankful for every day that I can type, or walk, or move, or tear open the cats food pouch. you may not find the correct medication right away, but you have to find something. The down side of this is, pain is the bodys way of telling you something is wrong. You have to make sure you cure the problem and dont just treat the symptom. Make sure you correct what it is that is making you hurt, and not just getting rid of the pain! It will never go away no matter what drugs they give you if you do not take care of the problem. If it is an injury correct it. I dont really know exactly what happend to you, but you have to get some kind of releif. And I promise, being pain free in the end will feel better than you could have ever remembered! I hope you find releif soon and please keep us updated on how you feel, and what works!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

Then a year or so ago the rheumatologist added Plaquenil.
I am on plaquenil too!!!!
I agree. If it is to feel better I am up for it. There is a beautiful poem someone wrote relating to Lupus that touches on that topic. Alot of the treatments for Lupus are toxic to the body. In there is says that she would rather shorten her life time here on earth and anjoy every moment than live in a horrible ammount of pain, and never enjoy another day!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

pain is the bodys way of telling you something is wrong. You have to make sure you cure the problem and dont just treat the symptom.
Wise words.
The body has a lot of warning signs, often we just tough it out because that is the accepted thing to do - but it's not necessarily the correct thing to do.

I'm glad you have a treatment plan that is working well for you.

Gosh, when did this turn into a chronic pain support thread?