Cats Litter...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has it ever gotten so bad or you've gotten sick of cleaning the litter and let it "pile" up so badly that you're to the point your willing to pay someone else to clean it?

I've seen and smelled both litter boxes and while I know I have to clean them (and I will) I really, really just don't want to.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Yes thats what SO's are for
Not mine. He has perfected the art of "Hey you wanted the kitty that means all the yucky stuff too." line.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I had a talk about why I prefer him to do that as well as cleaning our toilets. I explained to him that "growing up my "daddy" always did the gross stuff and I always felt that was his way of taking care of me. As selfish as it was of me to expect the same from you, I always feel really taken care of when you do it."

I can't remember the last time I cleaned it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time it got like that was when I came home from the hospital and just couldn't do it.

Otherwise I make sure their boxes are scooped several times per day and the litter changed at least every 2 weeks and the box scrubbed and disinfected with each litter change.

I live in an apartment and the box is in the bathroom so I don't want to be showering or using the toilet with the awful smell of used kitty litter in the room with me. Plus I know I wouldn't want to be using a dirty smelly toilet, so I don't want my babies to use a dirty smelling litter box either.

Plus, their paws are in that and then they walk on the floors and furniture IE: bed. I don't want that smell and bacteria being trapsed around the house.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Has it ever gotten so bad or you've gotten sick of cleaning the litter and let it "pile" up so badly that you're to the point your willing to pay someone else to clean it?
Never. And like icklemiss21 said, the cats will not stand for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See over the last couple of years I've gotten really lazy about it.

We had the self scooper, but at the time 2 of our cats were too big for and "missed" too often. The thing finally got trashed.

Then we had bags, so I could lift and be done, but once we got Whitey he tore them up to the point they were useless.

I've tried the "You're the man, you do it line"...but somedays I think he is male by anatomy only...I do most of the "male" roles around the house...he does most of the nagging

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i put mine in the human bathroom, how i do my business i just clean there business at the same time. So i dont even notice anymore

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got that electric litter machine. It is in our laundry room. Only time things get smelly is when I am washing or drying and Butzie decides to do the poo. Hubby and son remove the poop trap every garbage day.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got one big rubbermaid tub in the upstairs, one big one downstairs, one 18 gal in my bedroom, then Cow has a LB in the office & Squishy has his LB in the bathroom. It takes me at least 15 mins to scoop & add more litter once a day. I just never remember to do it 2x a day. I remember Squishy's....because if I don't....he yells at me.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you...I HATE cleaning the litter boxes. I honestly dread doing it, and I will put it off as long as I can. Of course, my cats are brats too. I have cleaned them, scrubbed them out, put fresh litter in them...and 10 minutes later someone has pooped on the floor right outside the box! And there isn't any poop inside. :shrug: I think someone is just not happy with me. It's a never ending battle...kind of like doing the dishes or laundry...it's never really "finished".

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do my litter boxes twice a day, in the morning when I first get up and after I clean up after dinner. It has gotten to be a habit so I don't really notice. Sassy and Pixie don't seem to worry about how clean the boxes are but Linus will not put up with a dirty box.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey if its THAT bad just take a trash bag and throw the whole thing away litter box and all and get a new one. Easy and simple
lol

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't love the job or anything, but I can't let it get dirty either....I don't want her walking around in the mess and then all over me and my bed!

Now, cleaning the fish tank....that's a DRAG!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine doesn't get too bad..but on the weekend sometimes I will forget if I'm busy doing stuff. Most would be two days..and thats only one kitty so its not unbearable. Its grosser to clean it that way though

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Its grosser to clean it that way though
That's what I was thinking, I'd much rather scoop a little out twice a day than have a big mess to clean because I've left it til later.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have at least two kitties, or definitely one kitty, who gets SO excited when I clean the litterbox every night it's kinda turned into a game - Who can pee or poop first in the new litter? And Mojo really does think it's a game when I add litter - she tries to catch it when I'm pouring it in.
Nothing like a kitty with litter on her head! At least it's clean litter!
So unless I'm just in a really, really bad mood and don't have any patience with them, I can't help but laugh at her so it's not really that much of a chore for me.