Chairman Squishy Meow - The Fungus that never was?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Squishy's(formerly known as Bailey) "ringworm".....oh man.

Long story short, he's loosing big clumps of fur. And his "ringworm spots"....they're weeping.
I called the vet tech & she told me ringworm doesn't weep.

Squishy has a vet appt. for 9:45am Monday. His one spot doubled in size in the 4 days I've had him, he's got another spot that's growing by the second....but the new spot is hairloss, no wound/redness/nothing.

I plan to blacklight him today, just for my own prelimiary fungus check.

I'm actually really worried there is something really wrong with him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he doesn't have sarcoptic mange Natalie???? That IS contagious to people and other animals, demodex isn't but sarcoptic is. The amount of hair loss sounds like sarcoptic- and it can weap on occassion (normally it just flakes, itches, and balds- but weeping can happen.) Be sure you scrub yourself off after you handle him and keep him seperate from everyone else. Wash all his bedding and bowls seperate from everyone elses and use a different sponge- i'd also run a load of bleach and water only after washing his laundry and before doing your own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I sure hope it isn't mange!
Now you've got me worried, because he's had contact with Cow, who has had contact with the dogs, who have had contact with every other animal in the house!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, dear, Nat! No wisdom here, just lots and lots of that this is controllable.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got my fingers crossed that this isn't something terrible. Goodness knows that you two have been through enough!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never been so glad to see hairloss glow under a blacklight as I was last night!
Although, I do have to admit, there are definately scabs there & scabs will glow. I really need to quit worrying about it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any way you can get him to a vet to have an absolute diagnosis and skin scaping Nat? It shouldn't cost much.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Any way you can get him to a vet to have an absolute diagnosis and skin scaping Nat? It shouldn't cost much.
He's going in Monday at 9:45am. They don't do "fungus cultures".
I tried to find a vet that would for Damita, but none locally do such a thing!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! He has THREE spots on one side, & now TWO spots on the other side?!! He's been here since Tuesday night for crying out loud! I took pics like yesterday or the day before...and it's much worse already!

This was Wed.

This was Fri, I think

That's the same spot. It's triple the size it was Tuesday night. He has two on his other side, one has doubled in size since Friday....the other is still small.

I seriously wonder how many other spots he has, if I'm missing some? I plan to anti-fungal bathe him tonight, then maybe I can evaluate just how many spots he's got!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh thats terrible!! Thank godd the vet appointment is tomarrow!! I hope its nothing serious! Good luck to ya, Ive got my fingers crossed!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness.... Poor baby!

Is it still weepy? Or just after the scab/fur came off?

Sending Get Better vibes! I love his face... old meezers make me melt :-)

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart!! Hadn't he been treated at the shelter? You'd think he would be getting better instead of worse.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
to you and to Chairman Squish.

I hope all goes well at the vet's tomorrow and that you come back with good news.

Most importantly, he's got a great meowmy looking after him.

Laurie