I think Maxx may have anal gland problems

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have been searching other posts and I think Maxx may have anal gland problems. I'm going to call the vet and get him in. But I noticed when I came home a couple of times, that there'd be a tiny spot of soft, mucousy poo with a tad of fresh blood in it. I couldn't figure out which cat it was until yesterday. Peaches was sleeping in the computer room so I know it wasn't her. Besides, I caught Maxx scooting his little butt across the carpet 2 times now. So anyway, he pooped in the litter box and started coming down the hallway and the little dime size deposit with the bit of blood in it came out. It's like he has no control of it. Then he came in the living room and scooted. Out comes the little green machine to clean that spot! I'm hoping it is something simple like his glands just need to be expressed. I'm really kind of nervous and freaked out. I think because of losing Jake in September. Some vibes for him (and for my freaked outedness) would be helpful! But does all this sound familiar to those of you who have cats with anal gland problems? Other then that he's eating normal and very active. He's playing all the time like normal etc.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Cleo starts having anal gland problems, she becomes a bit obsessive about cleaning her bottom. She also does a lot of scooting on the carpet. Sometimes, when I pick her up (her front legs draped across one arm, her bottom supported by my other) I get a foul smelling exudate on my sleeve. Off to the vet we go! My vet has showed me several times, how to empty the glands, but I prefer to take her there to get them expressed. I'd much rather that she associate them with the discomfort of anal gland expression, than associate me with it! Good luck! I will certainly keep Maxx in my prayers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

When Cleo starts having anal gland problems, she becomes a bit obsessive about cleaning her bottom. She also does a lot of scooting on the carpet. Sometimes, when I pick her up (her front legs draped across one arm, her bottom supported by my other) I get a foul smelling exudate on my sleeve. Off to the vet we go! My vet has showed me several times, how to empty the glands, but I prefer to take her there to get them expressed. I'd much rather that she associate them with the discomfort of anal gland expression, than associate me with it! Good luck! I will certainly keep Maxx in my prayers!
Thanks Kelli Jo. I'm calling the vet right now.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

same with Bumper

Originally Posted by white cat lover

for Maxx.
for you.
Couldn't say it better so I will just quote

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I just got back from the vets. She said he looks healthy as a horse. He did have a little tiny hard poop stuck in his glands and she expressed them. But she's not convinced that is the whole problem. She also shaved a tiny bit around his butt because his fur is so thick and cottony that he had a little dried poop in his fur. It has really grown in a lot since I got him. She also suggested that I just try feeding him Royal Canin Persian formula only for the next few weeks and see if he improves just in case he may have a little IBS. After she shaved around his little butt, he voluntarily gave her a little stool sample.
It just kind of rolled out.
(Maxx IS a stress pooper.) So they will check his stool and get back to me. Meanwhile, while we were there he got his vaccinations caught up and got dewormed. When I got him he was 6.2 lbs and today he was 7.1 lbs. The vet feels he's perfect for his size.
She was impressed that he was so well groomed, no matts, clear eyes, very clean ears etc. Everyone there fell in love with him. This was his first time to the vet since I got him in October.

He's going back in a couple weeks to have his teeth cleaned. He did have a little bit of palque buildup on some of his teeth. I have him on a wellness plan so it won't cost anymore. I think I'm going to love this wellness plan! And I'm going to put Peaches on in 2 weeks or so.

Anywhoo... I feel better.
The vet doesn't seem to think it's anything really serious since he is otherwise very healthy and active. (VERY active!) Poor Maxx was totally humilliated at having someone probing and poking in his butt but he's home now and happy for it! I'm anxious to get his results from the stool sample but otherwise I don't feel so alarmed anymore.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammie, I'm so glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious! And of COURSE everyone fell in love with him!
Of course, producing a needed stool sample on demand is a Vet's dream.

Shelly had problems with IBS and changing his diet solved the problem.

Glad his anal glands aren't going to bother him anymore!

Laurie

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Tammie, I'm so glad it doesn't seem to be anything serious! And of COURSE everyone fell in love with him!
Of course, producing a needed stool sample on demand is a Vet's dream.

Shelly had problems with IBS and changing his diet solved the problem.

Glad his anal glands aren't going to bother him anymore!

Laurie
Thanks Laurie! At least I hope his anal glands aren't going to bother him anymore! We'll see. But at least she doesn't think there is anything serious wrong. It was funny because both the vet tech and the vet just kept holding him and cuddling him. No one wanted to put him down.
And the vet DID seem pretty happy when he produced that stool sample!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You gotta love cat lovers - excited about kitties able to produce poop samples! I always find it so funny in this forum - clapping and getting excited about poop and pee!

Laurie

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You gotta love cat lovers - excited about kitties able to produce poop samples! I always find it so funny in this forum - clapping and getting excited about poop and pee!

Laurie
Yeah that is funny how we all get excited about those things!

I'm so glad that everything checked out okay! You're a good, attentive Meowmy, and I'm sure Maxx appreciates how well you take care of him!
Thanks Kelli Jo. Maxx does seem to have forgiven me already for putting him through that anal violation.
He was just laying on my lap and playing with my fingers while I was typing.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious. Maxx must be a real little love to allow the vet to cuddle him!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really good news....

The wellness plan that Maxx is on sounds like a really good thing to have.
Everybody loves Maxx

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maxx is such a cutie
I hope his test come back fine and he won't have any more problems! I have to keep the fur trimmed on Zoe's backside too...it just helps alot. The wellness plan sounds good...I'll have to see if my vet offers that

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

Maxx is such a cutie
I hope his test come back fine and he won't have any more problems! I have to keep the fur trimmed on Zoe's backside too...it just helps alot. The wellness plan sounds good...I'll have to see if my vet offers that
Thanks! Yeah... I've had to give cats the sanitary shave before. Maxx's fur is deceiving because it isn't that long around his butt. The thing with his is that it is so dense.

I guess he still hasn't totally forgiven me for taking him to the vet and the anal exam.
He pitches a fit when I try to pick him up. Oh well... a few days and hopefully he will have forgotten all.