Laser toy dilemma

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chester got one of those laser toys for Christmas. He really likes playing with it but seems to be very frustrated because no matter how hard he tires he canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t catch that little red dot.

After we play, usually I get tired before he does; he will spend the next fifteen minutes or so looking for it. He will look under things, poke around and sniff then kind of shake his head in confusion. Eventually he will go off and do something else.

He is so cute and I get a kick out of watching him but I end up feeling bad for him because he looks so confused. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s like he is saying “something is in my territory, I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smell it or find it but I know itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s here somewhereâ€.

When we play with wand toys he knows when play time is over because I put the toy away. He can see where it goes and does not seem to be bothered by this. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the same with his other toys. When he is done he just leaves it and it will usually be there the next time he decides to play with it.

Maybe I am making too much of it. But I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to be making my poor boy so frustrated. He really does look so frustrated that instead of having fun I end up feeling bad for teasing him with the thing. This canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be good for either of us.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh.... the dilmna of the elusive red dot!

We used to worry about this too - but after watching the kitties chase down flies and lady bugs this summer - VERY few of which they ever caught, most of which flew away unharmed - we don't really worry about it anymore. But we don't play it every day any more, either.

However, during some of the red dot play times, you can put down a handkerchief or wash cloth somewhere with treats under it. Make the laser disappear under the cloth at the end of the game.

Laurie

northjayhawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Smokey and I play "catch the dot" at least a couple times a week. When I get tired of it, or I notice he's not really running very fast anymore, then I let him "catch" the dot. I drift it close to him, he lunges for it, I switch it off at the right time, and it looks like he "caught" it under his paws.

He usually looks around for a couple seconds, then becomes really proud of himself as if to say "I guess I got rid of that annoying little intruder", and slinks off to take a nap.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always switch to a feather teaser so they can actually catch something instead of walking around looking for the red dot.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always throw a toy when we're done with the laser, so he has something to actually catch and bunny kick and all that, and it seems to redirect the energy and make him feel like he's accomplished something in his playtime.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

However, during some of the red dot play times, you can put down a handkerchief or wash cloth somewhere with treats under it. Make the laser disappear under the cloth at the end of the game.

Laurie
That's what I do, too!!
But I usually make it disappear under a throw rug that has a furry mouse hiding underneath, that they find while looking for the dot.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomas figured it out quickly. He won't go looking for the red dot, he looks for the laster pointer.

Usually her loses interested before I'm tired or I'll distract with another toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Laurie
Originally Posted by missymotus

I always switch to a feather teaser so they can actually catch something instead of walking around looking for the red dot.
Originally Posted by taterbug

That's what I do, too!!
But I usually make it disappear under a throw rug that has a furry mouse hiding underneath, that they find while looking for the dot.
Very good suggestions! Thank you!

Today I did try to make it look like the dot disappeared under a cabinet thinking he would just give up the chase. Instead he hunched down and tried to paw it out.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

Very good suggestions! Thank you!

Today I did try to make it look like the dot disappeared under a cabinet thinking he would just give up the chase. Instead he hunched down and tried to paw it out.
Put a red mouse under there!

Laurie

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Tomas figured it out quickly. He won't go looking for the red dot, he looks for the laster pointer.

Usually her loses interested before I'm tired or I'll distract with another toy.
Ben & Molly have figured it but it hasn't stopped them from hunting the red dot. Ben reaches out and meows at the pointer before he plays.
Originally Posted by Northjayhawk

Smokey and I play "catch the dot" at least a couple times a week. When I get tired of it, or I notice he's not really running very fast anymore, then I let him "catch" the dot. I drift it close to him, he lunges for it, I switch it off at the right time, and it looks like he "caught" it under his paws.

He usually looks around for a couple seconds, then becomes really proud of himself as if to say "I guess I got rid of that annoying little intruder", and slinks off to take a nap.
That's what I do too esp when I had it on the wall or a door just before.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my cats a treat after they are through playing with the laser, otherwise they'd be trying to dig up the carpeting or whatever was near the last sighting of the dot. Treats always take their mind off playing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you can limit it to 5 mins of play. Our guys can hear DH get it out of the desk drawer. They love the pen and sometimes keep looking, sometimes not.

Maybe have a 2nd toy (feather, etc.) ready to distract your cat and he will forget about the laser.

miss_chiffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The good old laser pointer!

Out of my 3 cats there is 1 in particular, mischief, who loves to chase the red dot!! She did used to spend about half hour sitting staring at the place she last saw it as if expecting it to magically reappear but when it's turned off now she more often than not sits looking expectantly at the pointer.

The only trouble is, it is kept in a bowl on the coffee table along with other stuff ie. camera, pens etc. so whenever we now go to get something out of the bowl she jumps up onto the table thinking it's time to play.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont know about any other states but those are illegal around here. The cops dont know the difference in a cat toy and a gun site. They almost killed a kid because he pointed it on an officers chest at night. Had the officer not paused when he did he had the legal right to shoot the kid and almost did.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was given one by a friend for my 2 cats. I thought it was funny at first. But then I decided to google it and got nervous about things people were saying. Maybe I worry too much lol. I haven't used it since. I was afraid it would make my cats deranged or something.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's what happened with Stimpy too. We use the Bamboo Catfisher toy more than the laser pointer. They seem to like it better.

Stimpy gets bored with Da Bird too.