For those in Eastern Europe...

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probably not many of you, but thought I'd try.

What do you think of the feasibility of opening up a cat rescue in Germany or the Czech Republic?

I'm moving to Prague in September, but will most likely migrate to Germany to teach.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have lived on Germany and traveled to the Czech Republic. Does that count?

I would say that it's a great idea. I know that around military bases US military families that get orders to move out of the country often leave their felines behind (it happens a lot).

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think germany has a drastic need of a cat rescue group, as it would in italy or spain, maybe even Prag as I dont think its as developed as Germany..

Which part of germany are you planning on moving to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I dont think germany has a drastic need of a cat rescue group, as it would in italy or spain, maybe even Prag as I dont think its as developed as Germany..

Which part of germany are you planning on moving to?
I'm actually going to be in Prague for a few years teaching English as I'm finishing up my teaching degree. Haven't really thought of where I would go in Germany, maybe Hamburg, since that is the closest major city near where my ancestors are from.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I don't think Germany has a drastic need of a cat rescue group, as would Italy or Spain, maybe even Prague, as I don't think it's as developed as Germany..

Which part of Germany are you planning on moving to?
I have to agree (fwan and I both live in Germany, as do a couple of other members). There's no shortage of cat rescue groups or no-kill shelters in Germany, but they can always use more volunteers. Many of them bring cats and dogs from southern, central, and eastern Europe back here.

IME, some cat rescue groups exist in large central European cities like Prague, but are usually desperate for funding and volunteers/foster families. The situation outside the large cities is pretty appalling, though.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I have to agree (fwan and I both live in Germany, as do a couple of other members). There's no shortage of cat rescue groups or no-kill shelters in Germany, but they can always use more volunteers. Many of them bring cats and dogs from southern, central, and eastern Europe back here.

IME, some cat rescue groups exist in large central European cities like Prague, but are usually desperate for funding and volunteers/foster families. The situation outside the large cities is pretty appalling, though.
I'm actually going to concentrate on senior cats older than 7-8 years old.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many many cat rescue places in Germany, but I m sure they need helping hands!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Bosnia a friend and I had links with a couple of cat and dog rescue organisations in Germany. They would take homeless animals and rehouse them if we got them vaccinated and blood tested and took them over the border. There was no possibility of rehousing them in Bosnia. We had a wonderful vet, Haris, who worked with us and did all that was necessary for cost price because we all believed in getting these unfortunate victims of the war off the streets and into a better place. I think in most of Eastern Europe now there are rescues, but they are always short staffed and short of money.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

When I lived in Bosnia a friend and I had links with a couple of cat and dog rescue organisations in Germany. They would take homeless animals and rehouse them if we got them vaccinated and blood tested and took them over the border. There was no possibility of rehousing them in Bosnia. We had a wonderful vet, Haris, who worked with us and did all that was necessary for cost price because we all believed in getting these unfortunate victims of the war off the streets and into a better place. I think in most of Eastern Europe now there are rescues, but they are always short staffed and short of money.
So, you think volunteers to help me out would be hard to come by?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

So, you think volunteers to help me out would be hard to come by?
Yes you also have to take into consideration of their mentality. And their living conditions.

A lot of the east germans ive met dont really like cats and have no interest in them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
To get to the point, Germany has a highly developed rescue system in place, so establishing yet another one makes little sense. Believe it or not, animal protection laws here are far more advanced than those in the U.S.. (I'm an American who has lived in Germany since 1982, so I have experience in both countries). Just to give a few examples, all shelters are no-kill ones, declawing, cropping ears and docking tails are illegal, there are many restrictions in place forbidding the breeding of "mutants", and vets may not euthanize an animal at the owner's convenience. Pet stores are not permitted to sell puppies or kittens, which helps to cut down on puppy and kitten mills.

You'd probably be able to contribute more by volunteering at a local shelter/rescue, than by starting your own, in Germany. The Czech Republic may very well be different, but please don't go there thinking that U.S. laws are better, and you're going to "teach them the right way". The EU has far more stringent animal protection laws than either the U.S. or Canada, and northern or western European countries' laws will be an eye-opener for you. The southern and central/eastern countries are lagging behind, due to their relatively new membership, but research before trying to "reform" the system.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

You'd probably be able to contribute more by volunteering at a local shelter/rescue, than by starting your own, in Germany. The Czech Republic may very well be different, but please don't go there thinking that U.S. laws are better, and you're going to "teach them the right way". The EU has far more stringent animal protection laws than either the U.S. or Canada, and northern or western European countries' laws will be an eye-opener for you. The southern and central/eastern countries are lagging behind, due to their relatively new membership, but research before trying to "reform" the system.
I totally agree with Jcat. You can stir up so much resentment without meaning to, and end up achieving nothing. If you volunteer somewhere, you will learn attitudes and make friends, before deciding if and how there is something you can do on your own.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would definately volunteer heavily before, and if, opening a cat rescue, wherever it may be. I have no idea where I am going to end up as I might like another country better than Germany or Czech Republic.

Thank you all for your input. It has been really appreciated!