New (stray) Kitty with Other Kitty HELP! And HIVES?!

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought in a stray cat that has been to the vet, neutered and declawed and they said he tested out clean. So I brought him in the house with my other kitty of about 4 months.

We held the new one and let my other kitty sniff him but the new one kept hissing/growling at my original kitty (I have the new one locked in a bathroom for now). How do I get them to 'get along' ? Will they ever get along ?

Also, my original kitty never gave me hives when I petted him, however, my old cat that I lost back in August DID give me hives. This new guy also gives me horrible hives. Is that resolvable ?

PLEASE HELP!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if the hives are an allergy to the cat or allergies to something the cat is bringing inside? If the hives come only when you pet kitty, not from having cats in the house, perhaps keep a big tub of kitty wipes handy, and wipe kitty down before you cuddle and pet? You can also purchase a cortisone cream from a pharmacy to help with the hives.

Here is a link to cat allergies you may find helpful: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=allerg%2A

...and here are some links on introducing cats:

http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153405

Hope these ideas help!

Laurie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About the hissing: one factor is as declawed he has surely some pains yet.

Cats in pains will tend to hiss / teach also good friends...

So it is not only they are new to each other....

Was he a shy homeless? Shy homeless are usually quite easy to get along with homecats, but non shy - differs. Some can beat up the homecats... If so, this will be better with time now when he is spayed, as the hormons sinks.

About the hives: It helps very often to shower the cat now and then. Or teach it to swim. Bathing with shampoo is thus not necessary - good for the skin-fats.
If he hates water, use a semi-wet towel on him. Preferably hubby, perhaps outside....
Many cat-allergic persons have good help from air-cleaners.
There are also other things a cat allergic cat owner can do.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stefan - thanks for reminding me about the air filters! I keep forgetting to mention that in posts where people ask about allergies. I'm terribly allergic to cats, and we have two in our bedroom and one in each other room of the house (except that bathrooms). Thanks for reminding me to mention this!

BrownieLuv - did you have the kitty declawed and this is recently? The way I read the thread you've adopted a kitty that was declawed. ?????

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for confusion...

The 'feral' cat is 10 months old and is extremely loving - more loving than I've ever seen before in a cat. It seemed like someone raised him in their hands as a kitten then got rid of him after he became the age of needing neutered (as he was spotted where I got him for about the past 3 months). I just got him neutered and declawed yesterday which was so tough to do the declaw because he has enormous polydactyle paws but I had to do it because he would sit on my lap and as he purred do the 'purr-paw stretch thing' and he ripped my jeans like 5 times just from that...

I just brought him home from the vet this afternoon which is the first time he was inside and everytime he saw the house-kitty he would growl and hiss at him. I wouldn't say he was a shy stray because he would come around alot but you could never pet him until we trapped him.

So, I just worry that he and the house-kitty won't get along - ever...I guess that is what scares me. When I was growing up we had one cat (stray) then another one that we eventually brought into the house together and they got along great - they were best buds playing all the time. I hope that can someday be the reality with these two...

As for the hives, ya, I am allergic to cats but only some have the dander that gives me the hives. . I was just wondering if washing him or something like that could help lessen whatever it is about his furr that gives me the hives. Thanks so much for the posts! This helps ease my nerves a ton!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They tells often about the non shy semiferal tomcats: once caugh he is often quite sweet to the people when he realises nobody is mean to him, and gets along with his people very quickly. But being a tomcat he is used to dominate his territory - and thus beats up the homecats. Sometimes quite decisively! This a quite common variation (other variations are of course also possible).

Yours is not fully grown up yet, they are fully grown at about 18-22 month, thus he has not yet the habits of the dominating male.
So this scenario isnt dangerous to you.
And latest when his hormones go down - he and your young homecat should have an excellent chance to get pals, or at least to coexist peacefully. Perhaps even before with some luck!

Some cats do get friends quite quickly, especielly when they both are young. But more common is it takes time. It is entirely normal.
If they only hiss without fighting - it is in itself a good sign.

Besides, as I said before. As now he has pains. Declawing is a quite big surgery. He doesnt have the patience at now to become friend with another cat.

Let it take the necessary time it takes. Dont worry! If necessary, have them in separate rooms if you cant supervise them. Or if the weaker one needs rest. Or you need a rest.
Dont forget to cuddle with your old cat!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry you decided to have him declawed.

I didn't put two-and-two together until your last post. Maybe you never went back to the thread you posted when you were looking for round worm help, but I posted information about declawing cats there. Of course, it is too late now.

But just in case you never saw that other post, I'd really like you to have this information so that in the future you can make a more informed decision.

Originally Posted by LDG

Please, please, please do not get your kitty declawed. When he's at the vet for the neuter, just ask them to also clip all his claws. Then get a sweatshirt you tie around your waist to wear around the house - and when he wants to sit on your lap and knead and drool, put the sweatshirt down on your lap. And keep his claws clipped.

Declawing is illegal in 23 countries around the world [I didn't write in the post before that it is illegal because it is cruel]. The U.S. is the only industrialized nation in the world where it is still legal. It's illegal in Brazil and Slovenia. It is not correctly named - it should be called De-Toeing. To remove the claw, because of the construction of cats' feet, they actually need to remove the toe from the last joint.
It's not like removing your fingernails - it's like removing the ends of your fingers. Now pretend you walk on your toes, and you've just had each toe removed from that last joint - and you still have to walk on your toes.
Cats walk on their toes, and declawing them causes them to change their posture, which usually causes arthritis and back problems later in life.

Some cats that have been declawed develop behavioral problems such as biting and litter box avoidance. 85% of the cats that are given up to shelters for behavioral problems are cats that have been declawed.

It is cruel to the cat, and one county in southern CA has banned it. There is a national campaign to put into a law that vets must educate people about declawing before they do it, and part of the campaign is that people watch a video where a declaw is performed. PLEASE click on this link, read the article - and check into a least a couple of the article links provided before you go through with that decision.

http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/declaw_detoe.html

Laurie