worming question

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello all, just acquired #3 and she is full of worms. She was treated yesterday with strongid. I can tell she's passing some, but when do I follow up with the second worming?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!

Our vet recommends it be done in three weeks - I've seen here that other vets recommend two weeks. So.... maybe 2 1/2 weeks? After you've given the second course of meds, wait another three weeks and take in a stool sample for them to look for any furthur signs of worms, just to be sure.

In the meantime, scoop as frequently as you can, and each week until she's rid of the parasites, dump all the litter, bleach all the boxes (unless she's confined to an introduction room, then just do her litterboxes like this), and refill them with new litter. This will help prevent her from spreading the worms to your other kitties, and help prevent her from reinfesting herself.

for rescuing this girl!

Laurie

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no help, but just wanted to say you've got quite the pretty girl there!! I'm sure she's so glad to have been adopted by you!

Stephanie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the three week.. what a cutie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the humane society here, they deworm 3x...every 2 weeks.

When I de-worm my farm cats, I deworm once, then again 2 weeks later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you all recommend droncit or something else?

the farm cat schedule sounds good to me, since mine are all outside.

thanks you guys!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use strongid or pyrantel for de-worming. Unless I see tapes...then I use the tapeworm tablets(Drontal or Droncit, can't remember).

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa, My vet must be weird or something because I was given three doses for Eek, and I had to give it every other day! By the time he was done with them I was so relieved!! She is a stunner!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for saying she's pretty, she still doesn't have a name. Hard to choose one that sounds good with "Fat Boy Tigger" and "Cricket" I was thinking maybe "junebug"...?...

I found a de-worming product called valucat that kills tape, hook and roundworms. anybody used it? It's a paste, sounds easier to use cause it's flavored.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

thanks for saying she's pretty, she still doesn't have a name. Hard to choose one that sounds good with "Fat Boy Tigger" and "Cricket" I was thinking maybe "junebug"...?...

I found a de-worming product called valucat that kills tape, hook and roundworms. anybody used it? It's a paste, sounds easier to use cause it's flavored.
IMHO the only safe de-worming product is one you get from your vet which will be prescribed according to type of worm, weight of cat and strength of dose.

Over-the-counter wormers often don't work and some can be dangerous and even deadly. De-worming meds are poison and I believe this should only be prescribed by a vet. I, as a lay person, have no idea of dosages versus weight, type of worm I'm actually treating, etc. so I wouldn't take the chance of an OTC medication.