injured swan saved from abuse.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's one am saturday morning.

my OH came home about half an hour ago. he asked where the dogs were and a red flag went up as that usually means an animal rescue is in progress...but this was very different.

i opened the door for him as requested and he carried an intimidatingly luminous, wild creature. the swan.
on this unforgivingly windy night, the beauty had ran into a building and badly injured her wing. the men at his work found this as an opportunity to ram it with forklifts and shoot at it with bee bee guns *my heart wrenches and breaks for her*.
we promptly set her loose in the "dog free" area of the yard..a place safely gated with a pond. no, i am not trying to keep her as a pet. we are trying to give this creature a shot at living free in the wild as she should. i do not know anything about swans, i don't know if she'll live or what her future is. but providing a peaceful night in sanctuary away from abuse and cruelty is good enough for me at this moment. we will figure out what to do tomorrow..for now she can be safe.
as to not upset her, i peeked from my bedroom window with a flashlight. she seemed to understand why she was here, looked at me, and climbed into the pond to float in peace along the water.
it's funny, just today we were discussing being a foster home for the northwest wildlife rehabilitation rescue...i think someone was listening.
i am so angry at those men but i am also so grateful she can be here, if only for the night. i'm glad she won't be hit to death and made a game out of. i'm glad no one will bother her anymore. i'm grateful i have someone in my life who would respond the same way i would to such actions.
will keep you updated.....
tink

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just talked to my OH on the phone (he brought her home on break and had to head straight back to work)...apparently they were thinking of trying out some paintball guns on her next *cries*

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my god how can people be so mean.... That is just plain wrong. I am so glad you two saved her. Hopefully she will get better soon and can be free and safe soon

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vid/pics i took this morning

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A park by me which has a few ponds and wild waterfowl had a pair of swans that lived there for quite a few years. Then one day the park workers woke up and found the swan pair had been killed by some people overnight and left there, and all their eggs smashed. They were a well known swan pair by the park workers, that had many broods, so the workers put up a reward for anyone who knew who did this, but nobody ever caught the people.

I go to the park each year so im pretty sure I knew the swans, they always had babies every Summer.

I dont know why people would do that, they didnt keep the swans so it's not for their feathers, mabye they hate swans for being "aggressive". Offcourse parent swans protecting a brood will be aggressive, but only to protect their young.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What horrible people in this world. How anyone could torture any injured animal is beyond me. What would of happened if your wonderfull Hubby had not of stepped in I would hate to even think about. Any up dates?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

What horrible people in this world. How anyone could torture any injured animal is beyond me. What would of happened if your wonderfull Hubby had not of stepped in I would hate to even think about. Any up dates?
Yes, two wildlife rehabilitators were able to come to my house this afternoon. She will have a warm, safe place to be in this weekend. They said she will see their vet on Monday morning...but if the joint is broken they will have to euthanize *wants to cry*. They say they have to as they would have to put pins in it if that's the case and no one does that kind of work in this area...but they are going to try to make sure that there's no other way before they do that.
I know I did the right thing by calling them but now I am so worried she will be euthanized. They told me to call on Monday and they will update me on her condition. It would be such a pity if she was gone..as you can tell by her coloring, she is only a juvenile. Let's all keep our fingers crossed she can rehabilitate and be set free again.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! Your video is so touching!
Thank you for taking that swan in and helping her. And a very big thank you to your OH for stepping in and saving her as well.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could they not just let someone with a pond keep her and let her live out her days flightless? I know the one that is at the pond on the OSU campus never flys, and she has been there for years.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are SO lucky here in the Bay Area. There is a wildlife museum in the next town. They take in all wounded animals, release those that are okay, but keep others who cannot be rehabilitated to let people know what happens when we do things to animals.
We also have two or three places where they rescue seals, whales, and birds that have been covered by an oil spill.
Wonderful pictures and wonderful you for caring and helping!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

could they not just let someone with a pond keep her and let her live out her days flightless? I know the one that is at the pond on the OSU campus never flys, and she has been there for years.
i already asked...it is highly illegal here :-(

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your husband not have any sway with his work colleagues, who were abusing the swan? Or are they as evil and scary towards people who don't agree with them, as well?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Did your husband not have any sway with his work colleagues, who were abusing the swan? Or are they as evil and scary towards people who don't agree with them, as well?
he didn't even try..he saw what was happening, just ran over to the swan in the middle of it, grabbed her, and drove off...he just wanted her the heck out of there right NOW.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i so hope the wildlife people can fix her... I know they will do everything they can but who can really judge what "everything they can" consists of when it comes to a living creature two or four legged?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry guys...turns out she had lead poisoning and was euthanized