It's official

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It started off as what the vet suspected as a summer allergy. Louie would over groom himself. So, he had a bunch of tests done and then on to anti-histamines/other allergy medication he went. That did nothing. We've changed food, bedding, litter; his licking got to the point where he was making himself bleed and not stopping.
Vet assumed it was an OCD habit, we got a cone to attempt to break the habit.
He has been eating less and less since november. He's become vicious and withdrawn and IF he eats... He is usually sick right after. He doesn't go to the litter box more than once or twice every three days lately.
The vet gave him some anti anxiety medication before christmas, it hasn't helped either. He still wants to lick/sleep. He's not interested in much else.
We've had every pricey test possible run, everything has come back saying he is perfectly well. No vet can figure out whats wrong with him.

Then vet finally suggested we think about putting him to sleep.

He can't live with a cone on for the rest of his life, its inhumane. But even when we do take it off, food doesn't interest him. He is noticeably thinner, and he just hasn't been himself since before Christmas. Its not even an issue of giving him to a different home to see how he fares, we tried that too.
I can't care for him, I'm scared and horribly upset. I don't know what to do.
It just seems so unfair.

pkyswt2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is a horribly difficult decision to make. Most important is take into consideration his quality of life and to trust what your gut tells you. My gut told me it was time but my heart said no.
One of my vets told me that when it is time to say goodbye, we end our pets suffering and REALLY begin ours. But it is the kindest gift we can offer them. (so I have been told, though I wish someone could get that message thru to the HUGE hole in my heart!)

Best of luck with your choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's so little though, he isn't even a year old.
It just makes me so sad that he is like this, that the breeder we got him from isn't returning our calls/emails with regards to discussing the issue.
Its so frustraing and tiring, and I can't stop crying.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pkyswt2

One of my vets told me that when it is time to say goodbye, we end our pets suffering and REALLY begin ours.
This is far too true. It's the hardest part of being a pet owner.

I wish you the best of luck. Did you take your kitty to see any other vets? I think it's even sadder when they are still babies.

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it costs, but I would seek other vets opinions. At least one more. Try and search the web on the symptoms/behaviors and see what you can find. Take that info to the vets. You owe it to your cat and yourself if you care as much as it seems, to exhaust other efforts. Thats what I would do.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What medications have you tried? It's possible you may need to try several to see if you can find the right one. I too would recommend a second opinion before making any irreversible decisions--make sure you bring copies of his test results so you don't have to rerun them. Overgrooming could be due to feline hyperesthesia (see the links below), which may be a type of seizure disorder--some cats respond to anti-convulsant drugs.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/86/...resthesia.html
http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-...sia/page1.aspx
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1998

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if it is possibly an allergy and he needs some prednisone. I know you said they tried antihistamines.... But have they tried prednisone yet (steroids)?

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an adult cat that experienced the lick wound thing. It is quite persistent and without some intervention, it never gets better and as you can see, kitty is miserable.

I thought my cat would never get beyond it. The vet prescribed the steroid MPV in the pet tinic base. That seemed to really help the itching irriation. Then I kept the wound clean with some R-7 wipes that you can get at Petsmart. Then I coated the wound with the R-7 lotion when the vet's lotion potion didn't really work. It took doing this twice a day for him to get beyond it. I had tried putting an infant's t-shirt on him to keep him from licking. It worked long enough for the area to scab. He got the t-shirt off.

I put them back on Avo-Derm from a Purina dry food and all of it seemed to help. He's better now.

It seems like a really vicious year for fleas too. All of my cats are indoors, but the bugs still get in. I suspect that a flea allergy was the initial trigger. The wounds after are self perpetuating.

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by just1cat

I know it costs, but I would seek other vets opinions. At least one more. Try and search the web on the symptoms/behaviors and see what you can find. Take that info to the vets. You owe it to your cat and yourself if you care as much as it seems, to exhaust other efforts. Thats what I would do.
He has been to three separate vets and two separate feline dermatologists. All of them are clueless.
All I do is research, ask questions and try new things. Nothing has made a lick (no pun intended) of difference.

Originally Posted by cloud_shade

What medications have you tried? It's possible you may need to try several to see if you can find the right one. I too would recommend a second opinion before making any irreversible decisions--make sure you bring copies of his test results so you don't have to rerun them. Overgrooming could be due to feline hyperesthesia (see the links below), which may be a type of seizure disorder--some cats respond to anti-convulsant drugs.
He doesn't show any symptoms of hyperesthesia other than over grooming, all of the vets pretty much ruled that out after the second or third visit. I've brought all my paper work with me every where I went.

Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I'm wondering if it is possibly an allergy and he needs some prednisone. I know you said they tried antihistamines.... But have they tried prednisone yet (steroids)?
He was on prednisone first, for a little under a month. And, our luck was great with that because he developed feline diabetes as a result of being put on the steroids. Apparently the percentage of cats that take low doses of prednisone that actually develop diabetes is less than 5%.

We are on his second bout of anti-depressants (1 tablet twice a day) and he has shown zero improvement.
He has been getting regular feedings and three solid play dates a day (all at the same time) since this started back in august. The routine aspect of alleviating stress hasn't been helping at all.
He is at the point where he would rather lick than eat or go to the bathroom. And if I takes his cone/baby snuggly off for even 15-20 minutes to let him wash himself, he is almost immediately coughing up fur/stomach acid because he ingests SO much of his own hair because he litterally will lick himself bald in a matter of minutes.

Its so hard, trying everything and getting no answers.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Feliway? Flower Essences like Rescue Remedy? I can't think of anything else
I wonder if anti-depressants for pets are like the ones for humans where it can take at least a month to start working.

*hugs*

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

What about Feliway? Flower Essences like Rescue Remedy? I can't think of anything else
I wonder if anti-depressants for pets are like the ones for humans where it can take at least a month to start working.

*hugs*
Been using feliway and rescue remedy both. No change.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pkyswt2

One of my vets told me that when it is time to say goodbye, we end our pets suffering and REALLY begin ours. But it is the kindest gift we can offer them.
That is so very true..

I am so sorry to hear that you have had to make that decision. But I think that you can find peace in your heart knowing that you did everything you could for your precious furbaby. He was lucky to have you for his Meowmy.

RIP, little one.

~KK~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not going to tell you to do anything else, because you know what is right for your baby, but I will tell you to spend as much time with him as you can! Take pics, no matter how heartbreaking they may be! Give him hugs and kisses from me, and tell him to meet Glitch on the otherside of the Rainbow bridge, Im so sorry this hasn't gone better for you!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is so sad.

Three vets and two feline dermatologists? Wow. It sounds like you've literately tried everything. And no-one still has any idea what is wrong? That's just horrendous. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to wonder if there is one last thing you can do to make him better.

Deciding to euthanize him is such a brave choice. When his life is just suffering and he's just getting sicker, it is the right thing to do, but I just can't imagine how difficult this must be.

It will be a relief for him, and I send you strength to get through this and the remember the good parts.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG - poor baby
I am so sorry that you have had to make such a terrible decision. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweetie
I have to ask - did you try a resctriction diet for allergies?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try some organic apple cider vinegar in his water? the brand is Braggs you can get at a health food store.

I have used that for my cat that was overgrooming and it almost immediately remedied the problem.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acv_for_cats.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

Apple Cider Vinegar is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner.
Taken internally will help the body against arthritis, itching, obesity, bad odor, dry skin, joint problems, lack luster hair and weak immune system.
http://www.preciouspets.org/newslett...er-vinegar.htm

I am so very sorry you and your baby cat find yourself in this situation. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for you both. I hope you will give the apple cider vinegar a shot.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry. It's so hard to watch them suffer, you've fought so hard. Best of luck.