Wow, I'm Impressed By Purina Company!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last friday, 12/28, I purchased two cases of Purina NF canned feline renal food from my vet. When I got home and took the cans out of the box, several of the cans were horribly dented. None of them appear to have the seal compromised, but I wouldn't even consider feeding them to my renal failure cats. I found the Purina company website and e-mailed them about the problem. (Actually, dented cans has been an ongoing problem since I started feeding this food several years ago, but never quite this bad.) Here's the reply that I received from them today:

Thank you for contacting Purina Veterinary Diets. We appreciate you taking the time to write us.

We apologize for the problem you are experiencing with the NF brand feline canned formula. We do not recommend using the dented cans. Please call the clinic where you purchased the cans to see if they will exchanged them.

We appreciate you taking the time to advise of this problem. We are sending coupons for two complimentary cases of NF. For any additional questions or concerns, please call the toll-free number listed below, and a Veterinary Product Advisor will be happy to assist you.

Again, thank you for contacting Purina.

Marilyn S. Kopchak
Purina Veterinary Diets
800-879-1266
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm CT

This is really quite impressive! I don't actually have the coupons in my hands yet, but last week, 2 cases cost me $59.49! It appears that they really do care about customer service and satisfaction!

If I actually do receive the coupons, I will definitely reply to this e-mail and thank them...I will probably also call the above number to thank them.

I will take a copy of the e-mail and the dented cans back to my vet's office next week, and see if they will exchange them or give me a credit for them. My vet's office is a really great place to deal with (they special order this food just for me, I don't think any other customers use it.) I might also ask them to talk to whoever does the shipping/delivery and see if they might be able to address the dented can problem.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the NF... so much more palatable than many diets too! Purina and Royal Canin both have really been impressive lately...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly cow, thats great!!

That is really nice of them to do that for you.. I had a formula company once do something like that, but there dented can of baby formula cost me an ER visit and a few stitches!! Let us know if you actually get the coupons!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's great!

Just out of curiosity, why is it safer to use cans that aren't dented?

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

that's great!

If there is even a tiny crack or break in the seal, it can allow botulism in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

that's great!

Actually, if the cans are dented, the seal could be compromised and the food could be contaminated or spoiled. I never buy canned goods for myself at the grocery store that are dented, and I would never use food from a dented can for my cats. Although, a cat could probably smell if the food was spoiled, better than a human could, just because their sense of smell is so much better. I wouldn't want to take a chance though!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
botulism is not often but is FAR FAR more likely to be in a dented can

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked retail, we weren't supposed to put out dented cans at all. I won't buy them for myself or the cats. They just had a segment on one of the morning shows last week about dented cans and botulism. I pretty much gave up buying cans at one of the big-box pet stores here...they always seem to have whole cases of dented cans. At most stores I can pick through and find good ones. I can understand a couple dented cans making it to the floor, but a whole case?

I have also been impressed with Purina's customer service on the occasions I had concerns.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

i know that i am just showing my ignorance here but what does the NF stand for on the "Purina NF"???
it is a renal formula ... I cannot spell the first word ..

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the label of a can of Purina NF, it is spelled like this:

Purina kidNey Formula

It is just refered to as Purina NF. The old name, (by the company) used to be Purina CNM, but I have no idea what CNM stood for! This isn't something that you'd find in regular retail stores. It's one of their special veterinary diets, available only through special order at your veterinarian's office.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The old name, (by the company) used to be Purina CNM, but I have no idea what CNM stood for!
It stood for "Clinical Nutrition Management".

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

It stood for "Clinical Nutrition Management".
Cool! I can file that one away in my 'obscure meanings' file! I wouldn't have guessed that one in a million years!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience most companies are quite good when you write to them. I had a similar problem once with canned soup (the cans were not dented but had pieces of plastic in the soup) and they sent me $25 worth of vouchers for any of their products.

Orijen's company (Champion Pet Foods) have also been great whenever I have emailed them. Quick responses and always actually answered my questions.