Help

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, can anyone help. I purchased a Bengal cat last August as a present for my partner. At the time of purchase I was told that the pedigree for her would be sent through the post with the transfer forms, stupidly I trusted and believed the lady. To date I have not received a certified pedigree for her, does anyone know what action I can take as I have sent letters, emails to her and her husbands email address, and left messages on her answerphone. I think that maybe she is not the pedigree I was advised.
Elizabeth

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Black Widow

Hi, can anyone help. I purchased a Bengal cat last August as a present for my partner. At the time of purchase I was told that the pedigree for her would be sent through the post with the transfer forms, stupidly I trusted and believed the lady. To date I have not received a certified pedigree for her, does anyone know what action I can take as I have sent letters, emails to her and her husbands email address, and left messages on her answerphone. I think that maybe she is not the pedigree I was advised.
Elizabeth
I am having the same problem with the breeder I got my little Shelby from. She promised to forward me the papers as soon as she got them telling me not to worry, that I knew where she lived. Fine and good but we drove 250 miles to get this kitten and knowing where she lives is not much help. I love my moggie Alley as much as my pedigreed cats, but I want my papers! In my case, I did see the mother on premises, and she was obviously a pedigreed Exotic Short Hair with the extreme flat face but the sire was conveniently away in Florida. There were no other male cats in the household, but now I find myself in your very same position. What to do?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What association did she claim to be registered in? Contact them with the breeders name and any info you do have. Are you close enough to go to their home?

If you purchased sight unseen thru a petshop online, you may have been ripped off. How much contact before buying did you have?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, and hopefully, you should have signed a contract between you an the breeder. If there is no contract than your life just got a bit harder.

Contact the registries they claim to be registered with - give them the cattery name and the breeder's name - and all the details that lead up to the purchase and collection of the cat.

Advise the breeder that you are taking this action and see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I did see the mother when I went to the breeders home, the mother looked like a pedigree Bengal. I didnt see the father, he wouldn't come out of his house, so I was told. I have found out since that she doesn't own the father, the breeder advised me that she owned the father. I have advised her that if I don't receive a fully certified pedigree I will be taking it further. I have sent an email to the GCCF, who they are supposed to be registered with, but to date I havent had a reply from them. I have been to the house, the cattery is about 15 mins car ride from me, there was no answer.

I feel bad about it with her being a present for my partner. Petra the cat is a beauty, as can be seen from her website, www.petra.me.uk.
Elizabeth

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you purchased her not yet spayed, could she perhaps be waiting until you've done that before sending the papers? I've heard of that a few times in the US, over here pretty much all kittens already come desexed.

Do you have breed/cat clubs under GCCF? They may be able to help if you're getting no response so far from GCCF.

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

she was obviously a pedigreed Exotic Short Hair with the extreme flat face but the sire was conveniently away in Florida. There were no other male cats in the household, but now I find myself in your very same position.
Just because it looked like an Exotic doesn't mean she's papered or registered.

Not having the father around isn't that unusual, many people don't want to or don't have the facilities for keeping a stud.

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it didnt bother me that the father wasnt there, what is bothering me is that she said she owned the father, which I have found out since she doesnt. When I purchased the kitten I was advised that the transfere papers would be sent to me by post along with the certified pedigree.

Another thing that is cousing concern is that I have telephoned, sent letters and emails, I have received one reply to these advising that they would be put in the post, that was over a month ago.
Elizabeth

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should have been given the papers when you collected the kitten. Unless the kitten was not yet registered, in which case the reason why should have been explained to you and you should have received it in writing that they would be forwarded to you at a later date. It's not common to withold papers until neutering over here, but some do. However, that can only happen by mutual agreement and should be in the contract that you both sign. Did you get any paperwork? Have you seen the pedigree? You should have been given the pedigree, GCCF transfer slip, a copy of agreement signed by yourself and the breeder and the kitten's vaccination certificate at the very least.

Do pursue it with the GCCF. You should be able to find out whether the kitten was actually registered. If she has been registered then it's just a case of getting the breeder to send the relevant documents so that ownership can be tranferred to you. If she's not registered then that needs to be looked into. Sadly, many backyard breeders promise to send on papers when in fact there are no papers and the cats aren't registered. It sounds like you have found a bad breeder, but fingers crossed it will work out and you will get the pedigree and registration documents.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Petra your cat or your cat's mother? She's pretty but not a show or breeder quality cat IMO if its the mother.

They might be right - you can't have papers till your cat is spayed/neutered. What did your contract say? And if there's a question regarding who owns the father, that might be a big problem regarding the papers.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petra appears to me to be a nice quality bengal. Likely not breeder or show quality but none the less a nice girl.

If the sire does not belong to your breeder, perhaps she/he is having difficulty getting the legal owner to sign the litter registration paperwork.

That however, is no excuse for leaving you in the dark wondering what is going on, by ignoring your inquiries.

If she/he is a legitimate breeder, you will have your registration papers and pedigree at some point.

Pursue the GCCF route to light a fire under her.

Also find out if she is a member of TIBCS (the international bengal cat society) or TIBBA (the international bengal breeders association). If she is you can file an ethics complaint.

Good luck, I hope you get your pedigree and registration.

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Petra is my cat, she is only 9 months old, the other kitten on the website is Elektra, she is 6 months old, my other cat, this is what started alarm bells ringing about Petra. I got a full, signed pedigree going back 3 generations from the breeder I got Elektra from.

I have never bought a pedigree cat before until I got Petra, so I didnt know the proceedure. I did take my daughter with me when I went to view her, everything seemed okay at the breeders. I bought her as a present for my partner, as a pet not to breed from. I did get to see her mother, that is if she was her mother. I know I may have been stuid to believe what she said but then again I am just too trusting.

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am also being to think that Petra hasnt been vacinated, the breeder told me she had been vacinated and wormed etc with Stronghold. I had to take her to the vets after I had had her for 2 weeks she had ear mites and worms. Up to now I must have spent about £200 on vets bills for Petra. I know I have been stupid, I did check the breeder out, she was registered with the Bengal Kitten List and other sites on the Internet, she did have her own website, which has now disappeared. Perhaps I should have done more checking but she seemed a decent person when I went to see her at her house. I feel bad because she was a birthday present for my partner. Petra issuch a lovely natured cat and he is over the moon with her.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Black Widow

Hi, I am also being to think that Petra hasnt been vacinated
Do you not have a vaccination certificate signed by a vet? If you don't, then chances are the kitten has not been vaccinated, and that is against the GCCF code of ethics. Without documentation relating to vaccinations you cannot assume she has been and you will have to start over with an initial course of vaccinations yourself.

The GCCF strongly recommends that no kitten should be permitted to go to a new home before 13 weeks of age. At least seven days prior to this, the kitten should have completed a full course of vaccinations, including a health check, given by a Veterinary Surgeon or by a listed Veterinary Nurse under the direction of a Veterinary Surgeon. The breeder should ensure that kittens are house-trained, inoculated and in good general health.
Similarly, you should have been given the pedigree and registration documents at the time when you bought the kitten.

10a. When a cat or kitten is advertised or sold as a pedigree cat or kitten the breeder shall, at the time of sale, provide the purchaser with a properly completed pedigree signed by the breeder, carrying 3 generations at least, showing all the breed numbers and registration numbers, also the breeder's name and address.

10b. If, at the time of sale, the cat or kitten is registered the seller shall provide the purchaser with a transfer form, duly completed and signed by the seller, unless it is jointly agreed in writing by both parties, at the time of sale, not to do so.
http://www.gccfcats.org/ethics.html

http://www.gccfcats.org/buying.html

Do pursue this with the GCCF even if it feels like a lot of trouble, as it sounds like the breeder is trying to pull a fast one and may be relying on buyers not caring about papers or just not wanting to make the effort to complain.

Did you get a contract of sale when you bought the kitten? The contract would be between you and the seller even though the kitten was for your partner. Tbh, most reputable breeders would not sell a kitten that was to be given as a present and would have wanted to meet your partner before agreeing to sell.

Is the breeder a member of a GCCF affiliated cat club?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you had no written contract - just verbal information from this person. Without a contract, you won't have much to fight with, sad to say.

We all learn the hard way sometimes. I would just forget the papers, spay/neuter your cat and keep him healthy. Love him as a pet. And if you ever get another purebred, then do a lot more homework.

You know now what is right and wrong when it comes to breeders - take this lesson and learn from it. You have a very pretty cat.

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More than one breeder was prepared to sell me a kitten even after I had advised that it was a present for my partner, it was because she would be living with me as well.

The breeder did say that they are a member of the GCCF, I have got in contact with them, but to date not had a repy from them.

No I didnt have a written contract, but I did take my daughter with me, she works for a solicitor. She thought the same as me she was a very nice lady.

It was after buying my second Bengal cat, Elektra, that set the warning bells off. I have been taught a lesson that I will never forget, whats to stop her doing the same to someone else though. My partner says that she is the best thing that anyone has ever bought him. I would have liked the paperwork if only for his sake.

Can I ask how much homework do you have to do, I researched for three months before I bought her. I had also done research the year before as well.

Petra is a beautiful cat, she is very intelligent and shows all the traits of a Bengal, she does look different in some ways to Elektra though.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you read the GCCF website? It provides guidance on buying a pedigree kitten. It will tell you all about the paperwork you should receive and what you can expect from a good breeder. Being a nice lady is all well and good, but it doesn't sound like she is a good breeder, tbh. A good breeder makes sure all the paperwork is correct and provides a written contract as well as lots of advice on raising your new kitten (and most ask that you keep in touch, send pictures etc). Unfortunately, there are lots of dodgy bengal breeders around with bengals being one of the most popular breeds over here.

If the GCCF don't reply do re-write or email them again to check that this breeder does register kittens with them. If she does and she is selling either unregistered kittens or is not giving new owners paperwork, then they will want to know. That's the only way you can stop this happening to other people.

I've no doubt that your partner is an excellent kitty slave
but a reputable breeder would have said that your partner needs to visit as it's not a good idea to give pets as presents. Most would refuse to sell a kitten on those terms.

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know what the protocol is now for buying a Bengal kiten, this is from the second one I bought. Maybe I didnt do enough homeowrk, I dont know, but I would have though three months would have been enough, plus visiting the breeder and then going to pick the kitten up. The excuse she gave for not having the papaerwork ready was that her computer was not on and she didnt know how to use it.

I have accepted that I have been done, but I would like to make sure that it doesnt happen to other people. I paid a lot of money for Petra, and if I let it drop she is going to carry on ripping people off.

She did say that she wanted me to send photos of Petra and to keep in touch.

I spoke to four breeders in the UK and each one was prepared to sell me a kitten without seeing my partner, the only reason I went to the one I did was that she was within easy driving distance. Each one asked me a lot of questions about myself and my partner.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be that maybe Petra's mum is on the inactive register and was sold as a pet? so her kittens can't be properly registered etc. Petra is clearly a purebred bengal so that's not something to be worried about but the whole situation is strange.

When I bought Nikita I signed a written contract and got the transfer slip and a 3 generation pedigree with her in addition to her vet signed vaccination certificate.

Did Petra's breeder have a lot of cats or was it just the one bengal (Petra's mum)?

black widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Petra's breeder had I think six females, those are the ones I saw, they where all outside in a cattery. The reason I didnt get her paperwork was because her computer wasnt switched on and she didnt know how to turn it on. I did receive a vaccination certificate with her, the only problem is that the name on it has been added since the vaccination, and not completed by the vet. I am going to ring the vet and see if it is for Petra.

With Elektra I got everything, that is what started the warning bells going.

Petra is a brilliant cat I couldnt wish for any better, I have been ill recently with the flu and she stayed with me all the time whilst I was in bed, she only left me to go to her litter tray. When I am studying she spends all day with me. led next to me. She's brilliant.