Permanent fostering

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been with the shelter for 5 years and never even thought of fostering; however, we currently have a 6 year old cat in the early stages of renal failure. This is the first cat I've ever thought of fostering, much less said it out loud. She has a brother we want her to be adopted with, but I feel I could do a good job of caring for her at home. Right now we are not going to separate them, but if we decide it would be best for both I have agreed to take her home. I call it permanent fostering because I can not afford her care so she would be a foster cat and the shelter would provide me with medical supplies & food. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this? I know what to expect with CRF, I went through it with my Smokey, but is there anything to expect from being a foster home for a cat like this?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you know what to expect with CRF, I'd say you know what you're taking on.
It will mean heartbreak - but what a wonderful, wonderful, amazing thing to do!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

If you know what to expect with CRF, I'd say you know what you're taking on.
It will mean heartbreak - but what a wonderful, wonderful, amazing thing to do!

Laurie
Thankyou. She is such a sweet cat all I can think about is making sure she is with someone who knows how to take care of her. For now the shelter has not made any decisions about me taking her, but at least the ideas out there. I wish I had space to take her brother, but I've already got 4 of my own in a 400 sq foot apartment & that would not be fair to mine or either of them. I really supprised myself saying I'd take her because I'm not one to put myself in that kind of position, but she is just such a wonderful cat.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have experience of CRF, and she would be OK split up from her brother, then go for it. I took on a 13yo two years ago who was supposed to be a long term foster, but then I adopted her to save the rescues finances, and I have a 17yo long term foster through a different rescue who will pay for all she needs for as long as she is here, but now I am down to one cat, I will probably adopt her too. I fell in love with another of their hard to home cats last year and they were happy to pay for all food, litter and vets if I took him. The only thing I don't like is that I might be restricted to what they will offer in cases of tests/illnesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

The only thing I don't like is that I might be restricted to what they will offer in cases of tests/illnesses.
This is one thing I have thought of, and I guess if it came down to it, I would pay for what I felt was necessary. In my experience with my own cat I found it was the daily cost of food, sub-q fluids, & medications that was very expensive. Yes vet care was too, but it was not a daily cost.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally pay for things if I feel it is too expensive, or in some cases the rescue just aren't aware of it. Supposedly, fostering doesn't cost you anything, but I always pay for certain things myself!!

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on the agreement between you and the shelter or rescue. With the rescue I'm with they pay for all approved medical. I must get approval before going to a vet. All other expenses, food, litter, etc. are mine.