Why does she do that?

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty Arwen still suckles on anything soft that she can get her paws on..clothing, duvets, cushions, you name it!

She has been doing this since she was a tiny kitten, being the runt of the litter, I am wondering if it is a comfort thing..once she is satisfied doing that, she will cuddle up on my lap and purr.

Any ideas why she is still suckling at anything soft? She also paws at it at the same time..seems strange to me, as she has grown up now..

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my girl does that too she has done it since a little tiny kitten she is 6 months old now and still does it a little, mostly just when she is trying to go to sleep. It use to be all the time. I read on a thread in here to comfort them and make them feel reassured. So i have done that. whenever she does it i talk to her and cuddle with her and massage her shoulders. I tell her i love her and she will go to sleep. I dont know if it will help with your kitty but patiently i have stuck to this plan and it does seem to work for her anyhow.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

My kitty Arwen still suckles on anything soft that she can get her paws on..clothing, duvets, cushions, you name it!

She has been doing this since she was a tiny kitten, being the runt of the litter, I am wondering if it is a comfort thing..once she is satisfied doing that, she will cuddle up on my lap and purr.

Any ideas why she is still suckling at anything soft? She also paws at it at the same time..seems strange to me, as she has grown up now..
This is absolutely amazing!! Right now, my little 11 week old kitten is sucking on my bare toe! I usually have socks on by now but anyway I think she is just using me as her mother for right now.

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it has a lot to do with what age she was taken from her mother if taken to soon she has not had enough time to be weaned and that is most likely why she is doing it it can not hurt her and yes it makes her feel safe and happy when she is good luck with her and enjoy your sweet kitty

michela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My one kitten (almost 6 mos) does that, but to his brother!! I contacted the lady we got them from and she said at 6 weeks the mother refused to let them feed from her. She would hiss at them. But his brother doesn't have the issue, so I guess it goes to show that every cat really has her/his own personality. It drove me crazy, so I am grateful that it has lessened with age.