So....you're a cat person...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brandi's thread "A what point..." inspired this thread.

So...when do you realize you are a cat person?

I realized it about 3 weeks ago when a coworker that I sort of know gave me a kitten calendar for Christmas
That's when it dawned on me: I've become a cat person.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always liked cats, dogs etc.
the plan was 2 cats and a dog and playstation.
well now we have 4 cats and no dog.

hheeh thinking of adding a bengal and one white cat.
i must be crazy

but still no dog. i still want a monkey we have fights over that one.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all animals. However cats are more suited for apartment living and I don't have to worry about taking them out for walks and toilet breaks, and the idea of a dog peeing on the floor on news paper grosses me out completely.

Also cats want affection but they are also happy to go off on their own and nap and entertain themselves occasionally. Whereas a dog always wants to be right there with you and requires pretty constant interaction, entertainment, socializing, activity etc. And I just don't have the physical energy required to care for a dog.

So unfortunately I can't tell you when I became a "cat person" because I have always been one, along with a "dog person" and a "bird person"
But since I've moved out on my own I've always had cats because they suit my lifestyle better than a dog does.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always considered myself more of a dog person, until a few years ago, when I realized, no, I"m a cat person! I will always have a dog/dogs though. Not sure exactly what triggered me to realize it... maybe when I realized I spend more money for the quality of my cat's food then mine

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been a cat person since birth
There has never been a time in my life where I have been without a cat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am an animal person.... lol... fish , dog , cat , horse , reptile

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have always been an animal person ever since i was a kid. i especially loves fluffy kitties. BUT my dad hated them and thought there was absolutely no reason for them on this earth. Thru my childhood i managed to ge two kitties and each time dad was vicious to them and it got to the point i would cry every time my dad went outside for the kitties always wanted to come inside to see me and mom. well the first kitty was teh mom to my second kitty and in order to keep the male kitten i had to get rid of the female so dad made her disappear, then well eventually my little boy disappeared too. I then thru the sadness just told myself and everyone else i hated cats because i no longer wanted to get attached to them because of my dad. Then i got out on my own and we will just say the men i dated all hated cats so i didnt bother. I finally took a chance and got another one, was with him from the day he was born. It was all good then i got divorced after a year i met someone new and we moved in together. Well sometimes very occasionaly Tiggy would miss the litterbox. I didnt care i loved him so much cause i finally had a kitty. well he threw up one day after i tried to give him some tuna, well i went to the bathroom to get TP to clean it up, my BF saw it on the floor got mad at him cause he thought tiggy pooped and he picked him up and took him for a ride. I wanted to kick him out of my house. I begged and pleaded with him on his way out the door and he just ignored me. Crying the whole time he was gone, when he returned i explained that tiggy just threw up and didnt have an accident he said he didnt care he hated cats thats the way it was gonna be and if I didnt like it i could get out. (of my own house) needless to say we broke up. Now i have met the man of my dreams and he is an animal lover more than i am. He got me little Squishy and made the promise to me to always love her no matter what. So here i am sharing my stories with all of my new cat friends in here!!!!!!!!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pretty much always been a cat person. When I was little we lived in an apartment complex and were not allowed to have pets. But there was a feral cat colony that lived in the woods behind the apartments. I tamed my first full grown feral cat when I was 4 years old.
She was a gorgeous black cat that I named Midnight. No one else could get close to these cats, but I could hold them and carry them around and they all trusted me. We lived there until I was 13 and I was homeschooled and none of the other kids would play with me because I didn't go to school with them, so I would spend hours every day sitting on the ground out back working with those feral kitties. They were my friends and gave me someone to talk to... I was never lonely with those kitties around.

And now I have 13 permanent cats plus a foster cat with kittens on the way!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually more of a parrot person but I love all animals.

But I guess you could call me a cat person too.... since I have just been adopted by yet another.
Her name is Abby...she is around 4-5 months old and she came in and hasn't left in a couple weeks.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always been a cat person, but I think the realization that I was going to be a crazy cat person first dawned on me when i was around 21.

I also like horses (have had them most of my life) and dogs, but cats will always be #1 with me. I just love them.

samalander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had cats as a little girl, but my mom and brother are dog people, so we've had those for a long time.

I knew I was a cat person when I picked up my baby at the adoption event and she crawled up my arm and snuggled into my neck.
I never had a chance.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

maybe the real question is,,
how many cat people are people people ehhe
Yeah, there's a question! I"m so not. Animals are so much more realistic and honest. Granted, I've got a few good friends, and go out from time to time, but true happiness is a purring kitty (or 6) in my lap

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hheeh thinking of adding a bengal and one white cat.
Ophelia would gladly come home with you!!

I've long been a cat person. I think it was almost 2(maybe 3) years ago when I went from one kitty, to 5!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I've pretty much always been a cat person. When I was little we lived in an apartment complex and were not allowed to have pets. But there was a feral cat colony that lived in the woods behind the apartments. I tamed my first full grown feral cat when I was 4 years old.
She was a gorgeous black cat that I named Midnight. No one else could get close to these cats, but I could hold them and carry them around and they all trusted me. We lived there until I was 13 and I was homeschooled and none of the other kids would play with me because I didn't go to school with them, so I would spend hours every day sitting on the ground out back working with those feral kitties. They were my friends and gave me someone to talk to... I was never lonely with those kitties around.

And now I have 13 permanent cats plus a foster cat with kittens on the way!
That's a very sad and poignant story!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew as a child. I begged and begged for a cat when I was around 2, but my mum is allergic and my dad hated cats so they got me a puppy instead for Christmas that year. It is the big family joke that I took the dog and put him outside in the garden and sulked in my room for the rest of the day because I didn't get a cat.

We were talking about this in the shelter the other day when a guy came in and I had two cats in my arms and he asked if I was the crazy cat lady, we were laughing at what other people think of us.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, i think i'm probably split right down the middle as both a cat and a dog person. I like them equally and have both
At the shelter where i work, i take care of just as many dogs as i do cats and often times foster them both as well. There are things i adore about dogs and things i love about cats- each are soo unique and wonderful
I could never choose a "favorite" I just enjoy them all soo much and love the companionship!