assistance dogs

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's generally wise and polite to ask the owner or handler of any animal before touching the animal - be it a pet or service animal.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

It's generally wise and polite to ask the owner or handler of any animal before touching the animal - be it a pet or service animal.
I Agree!!
I have a very friendly dog, but she is BIG and gets the wiggles when someone "new" wants to pet her. I greatly appreciate when someone asks before touching her so I can warn them of her wiggles...with a dog her size those wiggles can easily knock someone over.

One of my friends has a service dog and even though I have rolled around on the ground playing with him, I always ask if I can pet him first. This dog is always on duty and he needs to be given a release command before any play or petting can happen...regardless if his handler is my friend or not I would always ask.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I workeds at a blind/handicap school for awhile as a helper. I learned a LONG time ago you should NEVER pet or talk to a service dog when on duty unless you as the owner first.

They are on their jobs and have to have total concentration - no distractions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALL animals ask .... For service animals if a vest is on DONT touch ... the catch is the non typical service dogs ... ie comfort that often I am asked to touch the dog as it aids the dog and the owner with the training... see these dogs are often used to help a person with social difficulties

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also learned a long time ago not to pet these dogs. I don't either unless owner/trainer says it is okay.