Felidae (chick & rice) vs. Eagle Pack (lamb & oatmeal)

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm debating between these two formula for our 4.5 month old himmie kitten:

1) FELIDAEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Chicken & Rice formula

or

2) Eagle Pack Holistic SelectÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Duck Meal & Oatmeal Formula

We've tried at least 6 different dry formula, and all end with the same result: diarrhea. Poor kittie. He really hates it when he has loose stool (stomach aches, embarassment, having us clean him up, the list goes on).

We've finally determined the one common ingredient in all these accidents (both dry or wet): fish. It doesn't matter whether it's one of the top 5 ingredient or the 10th (our latest try with the Prairie line today). As long as fish or fish meal is in it, he gets diarrhea.

The above 2 products are the only ones that I can find w/out fish. Can anyone provide some perspective on which might be better? Any user comments?

Our kittie needs YOUR help!!!

Thanks.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most kittens will get diarrhea from quick changes in any dry food. When switching dry food, it has to be a gradual slow change over a week or maybe even longer for sensitive stomachs. (You mix more and more of the new stuff with less of the old stuff as time goes on). 6 different dry foods for a 4.5 month kitten (who I'm assuming you've only had for 1.5 months since most kittens are adopted at 12 weeks/3 months) is a LOT of change for a sensitive kitten stomach.

I've read here that fish flavored wet foods (or dry foods) fed as a primary thing can make cats more prone to UTIs and that you should stick to other meats for the most part.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two didn't care for either of these, but they liked the Felidae better than the Eagle Pack. Now they're happily eating a mix of Royal Canin and Wellness.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try the felidea first .... duck is often too rich for many kittys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Most kittens will get diarrhea from quick changes in any dry food. When switching dry food, it has to be a gradual slow change over a week or maybe even longer for sensitive stomachs. (You mix more and more of the new stuff with less of the old stuff as time goes on). 6 different dry foods for a 4.5 month kitten (who I'm assuming you've only had for 1.5 months since most kittens are adopted at 12 weeks/3 months) is a LOT of change for a sensitive kitten stomach.

I've read here that fish flavored wet foods (or dry foods) fed as a primary thing can make cats more prone to UTIs and that you should stick to other meats for the most part.
We are transitioning him slowly. Basically, since all the dry food that he's ever tried gives him diarrhea, we have to just switch. However, we switch him very slowly, by giving him about 10 kibbles at a time as snacks to see. Even on 10 or so kibbles, he would have loose stool. Ideally, I like to have one food where he won't have accident, so that we can use it to mix in the new food. But so far, that has not been successful.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's also California Natural Chicken and Rice, I don't believe that has any fish in it either, don't know if you have tried that one. Also, I do believe Wellness has some fish-free formulas

Poor kitty, I hope his little tummy problems get better soon

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro Roasted Chicken also has no fish- this is what my cats are currently on, after switching from the Felidae (the Felidae had a little too magnesium(?) in it for my oldest cat and her bladder issues). I really liked the Felidae, but you need to switch it very, very slowly (like a small handful to a couple of cups of food, and take 2 or 3 weeks-my cats eat dry for the most part)). It doesn't have fillers, and it is kinda rich for their tummies straight, so don't try any of it by itself, always mix it with the food his tummy is used to
. My cat's coats improved 100% on it. They didn't have any issues switching, thankfully, except they liked the Felidae less than the SD they were on to begin with. They really love the Nutro and we are on our 2nd 20 lb bag of it right now.

My dog is on the Canidae, and it took her about a month to totally adjust to it. However, she has been on it for 2 years now, and is doing great.

Good luck!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the same issues that catsallover had with Felidae. The magnesium. I had two cats develop UTI/crystal issues while on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick Update:

So far, so good with the Felidae. We're feeding him anywhere from 15-25 kibbles (~1/8 of a cup?) for the past 2 days without any accident.

However, our kittie is an extreme face himmie. For some reasons, he either doesn't like the food or can't seem to pick it up with his mouth? I ended up feeding him one piece at a time for the past 2 days. Since I'm using the dry to supplement our full rotation of wet, it's not a huge issue. But eventually, Osmo needs to be able to eat the dry on his own (e.g. vacation, extended away from home).

Any pointers? Thanks, everyone!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, except to say that it did take mine a bit to get used to those tiny, odd shaped pieces.

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On their website it says the pH of Felidae is only 5.5 which is why I don't use it. Isn't that too low? Maybe Sharky would know.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ilovemy2cats

On their website it says the pH of Felidae is only 5.5 which is why I don't use it. Isn't that too low? Maybe Sharky would know.
I cant say too low ... what I can say is MOST foods with any UTi health orientation aim for ph of 6.5 ish .....about 90% of cat foods have a ph of 6.1-6.8