Health Care (possible abuse) Update!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So remember the thread I started a while back about a place I quit because of possible elder abuse?? Well, I talked with one more person who was higher on the ladder, but still nothing was done.....

So I called the department of inspections and appeals and reported everything I knew!!!
I feel so much better now that I told someone and they can decide what to do with the information. They even sent me a letter saying that they are going to have a surprize inspection and will tell me about the results. The woman I spoke with sounded like she couldn't believe some of the things that were happening.

What she didn't like the most was that unqualified employees were passing meds and errors were being made often. I heard of double doses being given on accident several times.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD FOR YOU!!

My Mom was in 3 different nursing homes before she died last Jan. 07.
We had to take her out of the first 2 after she was found totally out of it.
Thinking she was dying the first time we had them take her to the hospital.
She had a urinary tract infection.
They treated her with antibiotics and she came out of it.
THAT WAS ALL IT WAS! SHE WOULD'VE DIED THEN IF WE HADN'T INSISTED.
So the 2nd time it happened we knew what was going on.
Still the nurses on duty said they would treat her and she would be "taken care of" HAH!
She once again went to the ER and to a new nursing home.
Finally she got so weak and the breast cancer came back after a 1 breast removed.
Then the 2nd one late 2006. She was very weak and in Jan. 07' her lab work came back with the indication the cancer was back.
She was too weak for chemo or radiation from the beginning.
We stayed with her 24/7 until she passed on Jan. 28.
We took turns and when I went home to sleep, she went for her final rest.
It was hard but she had been through SOOO much it was time.
Miss you Mom!!!
Patty
p.s.
IF YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE IN A NURSING HOME.....DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR ANYTHING. ASK QUESTIONS AND FOLLOW UP!!!
They are usually understaffed and overworked and if they don't have time, guess who suffers!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

What she didn't like the most was that unqualified employees were passing meds and errors were being made often. I heard of double doses being given on accident several times.
Good for you. The med bit was one of the things that upset me so much. As a retired nurse I know the responsibilties drilled into every nurse to understand saftey checks, possible reactions, and to be aware of possible med errors by the doctor - bottom line, the person giving the med is the one responsible for an error. To put that responsibility upon someone who may know nothing about the medication they were told to go give to Mrs. so and so is horrific, imo.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

GOOD FOR YOU!!

My Mom was in 3 different nursing homes before she died last Jan. 07.
We had to take her out of the first 2 after she was found totally out of it.
Thinking she was dying the first time we had them take her to the hospital.
She had a urinary tract infection.
They treated her with antibiotics and she came out of it.
THAT WAS ALL IT WAS! SHE WOULD'VE DIED THEN IF WE HADN'T INSISTED.
So the 2nd time it happened we knew what was going on.
Still the nurses on duty said they would treat her and she would be "taken care of" HAH!
She once again went to the ER and to a new nursing home.
Finally she got so weak and the breast cancer came back after a 1 breast removed.
Then the 2nd one late 2006. She was very weak and in Jan. 07' her lab work came back with the indication the cancer was back.
She was too weak for chemo or radiation from the beginning.
We stayed with her 24/7 until she passed on Jan. 28.
We took turns and when I went home to sleep, she went for her final rest.
It was hard but she had been through SOOO much it was time.
Miss you Mom!!!
Patty
p.s.
IF YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE IN A NURSING HOME.....DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR ANYTHING. ASK QUESTIONS AND FOLLOW UP!!!
They are usually understaffed and overworked and if they don't have time, guess who suffers!
YUP! Biiiiiiig problem. You must be an advocate for your own care. People should not be afraid to challenge the so-called medical professionals looking after loved ones or themselves.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been a couple of article recently in the Wall Street Journal about nursing home patients esp the ones with dementia given a off label use of a drug called Seroquel (sp??).
That really opened up my eyes!!

My SIL who had the stroke is now in her third nursing home. The 1st nursing home well someone laid her bed flat while she still had her feeding tube and she aspirated fluid into her lungs.
The second nursing home-well she flipped herself out of her whell chair so they ended up having her parked in the wheel chair by the nurses station due to her plate missing in her skull. But this place didn't push her on physical therapy, she had a real creepy roommate for a while so she was moved to a home closer to her real home. They seem much better on the therapy but its now over an hour from our place so we don't see her as much. One of her daughters used to be a surgical tech and now is a nursing student so she watches her mom's chart pretty closely and isn't afraid to speak her mind!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you! How awful to treat their residents like that! Those people needed you to do that I think!

DH's Grandmother recently went into one and my FIL has been spending night and day with her. Even when she was at the hospital just so she could get the care she needed. (FIL is a recently retired PA, so he's big on paying attention to every detail of her care.) I do hope it's a good place. It's attached to the retirement community she lived in (some assisted living) and it's also where DH's Grandfather was when he passed in 2002.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

That's EXACTLY the problem!!!!!