Science Diet Oral Care

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Science Diet Oral Care?
My vet recommended it since both my cats are beginning to show signs of gingivitis.

The cats seem to love it which is good, and the kibbles are big enough for my Maine Coon to crunch on.

I also bought some Dental Fresh to put in their water and a kitty toothbrush (but I doubt they'll stand still for very long for that)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno, some people say the dental food works. I've seen it used, for a year while a kitty at the humane society waited for a home. It didn't work. He was adopted, & has had multiple dentals since then. They took him off that food as it was junky, pricey, & didn't work.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally don't like science diet. Its not a very good quality food(even though the vets will try to tell you that it is). I've tried it before but I didn't find it really helped any, and it made my cats shed really bad.
I've also tried the breath stuff that you put in the water, but it never worked for me. What I did find that works is a product called Nature's Miracle. Its a powder that you sprinkle on their food twice a day. It really helps with bad breath, and its supposed to help reduce the amount of tartar that builds up on the teeth somehow. I've found that with the drinking water additive that the cats didn't drink as much as they used to which can cause dehydration, especially if they are on a dry food diet.
If you are worried about tartar, try brushing their teeth. It will work much better than the dental food, and it costs much less. A high quality food like nature's variety or something similar will cost around the same that you are paying right now for a lower quality food.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you dont mind brushing their teeth that is a good idea... Me personally, have had good results from Science Diet, but did switch to nutro to save a little cash, and because they were sick of the other stuff!

I like the brushing idea though, it works well if your kitties dont beat you up while you're doing it!! LOL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
T/D did in clinical trials prove helpful ... but it may differ cat to cat ....

If you can brush or at least get them to take cat toothpaste from your finger as it is enzymes that do the wrok not the brush ... I personally only know things like CET chews to work not things for the water but others have had success

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

I personally don't like science diet. Its not a very good quality food(even though the vets will try to tell you that it is). I've tried it before but I didn't find it really helped any, and it made my cats shed really bad.
I've also tried the breath stuff that you put in the water, but it never worked for me. What I did find that works is a product called Nature's Miracle. Its a powder that you sprinkle on their food twice a day. It really helps with bad breath, and its supposed to help reduce the amount of tartar that builds up on the teeth somehow. I've found that with the drinking water additive that the cats didn't drink as much as they used to which can cause dehydration, especially if they are on a dry food diet.
If you are worried about tartar, try brushing their teeth. It will work much better than the dental food, and it costs much less. A high quality food like nature's variety or something similar will cost around the same that you are paying right now for a lower quality food.
What exactly is Nature's Miracle (powder/paste/?)? Where can it be purchased?