I can't wait! A Clockwork Orange is our monthly midnight movie!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so excited! A Clockwork Orange is our monthly midnight movie selection at our favorite movie theater!

I am going to dress up as Alex!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I read the book but never saw the movie. We don't have midnight movies where I live.
In the Bay Area? Really? You should do some checking. Almost every town has a midnight movie somewhere. Sometimes they just aren't that great.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've watched that a few times .....and STILL do not get the movie at all - its totally weird. If you can explain it to me I'll be glad

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A very quirky movie! Just don't watch the part about the woman with the cats...

I loved the milk bar "fountains", too. Don't think those would fly in Chuckie Cheese's!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to rent that one of these days. I watched it ages ago and thought it was weird. I don't really remember anything about it though except for that funny looking guy with make-up on one eye lol.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that movie! The book is really good, too.

I remember the first time I saw it; I could barely understand it. But now, the dialogue is as clear as day!

Tricia

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies ever. I love the way Kubrick used music in his films.

The book's good too, with a little differend ending.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You make me want to break out singing:

I'm singing in the rain (kick)
Just singing in the rain (kick)
What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again (kick).......

That is one very twisted movie and just my style!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies ever. I love the way Kubrick used music in his films.

The book's good too, with a little differend ending.
Here's the deal about the book in the USA. For some reason, the last chapter (making the book have a happy ending) was omitted for a long time. I picked up my Mom's copy she bought in 1980, and read it in high school. Well... for the longest time I couldn't figure out why people keep telling me, "Oh what a great story, and the ending isn't as depressing as I thought it would be."

A few years ago I realized that I had never read the last chapter, so I trudged out to a used book store, bought another copy, and reread the book. Now it makes a lot more sense.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Here's the deal about the book in the USA. For some reason, the last chapter (making the book have a happy ending) was omitted for a long time. I picked up my Mom's copy she bought in 1980, and read it in high school. Well... for the longest time I couldn't figure out why people keep telling me, "Oh what a great story, and the ending isn't as depressing as I thought it would be."

A few years ago I realized that I had never read the last chapter, so I trudged out to a used book store, bought another copy, and reread the book. Now it makes a lot more sense.
Wow, I didn't know that. I wonder why it was omitted, I can't think of anything offensive in it?

The real ending is a lot more depressing than the short version. Becoming a another brick in the wall and all that.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm so excited! A Clockwork Orange is our monthly midnight movie selection at our favorite movie theater!

I am going to dress up as Alex!
Clockwork Orange is one of the greatest films in history. But I never heard of it as a Midnight movie like say, The Rocky Horror Picture show which I have seen at least thirty times at midnight. Surely, people do not light fires and squirt guns and dance in the aisles like with the latter?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Clockwork Orange is one of the greatest films in history. But I never heard of it as a Midnight movie like say, The Rocky Horror Picture show which I have seen at least thirty times at midnight. Surely, people do not light fires and squirt guns and dance in the aisles like with the latter?
Oh no... it's not like that. The theater we go to has a monthly selection of midnight movies. Others that I've seen: Evil Dead, Blue Velvet, and Citizen Kane.

They also do showings of Rocky Horror, but that's separate. You can dance there.

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is such an awesome book. I've never seen the movie. After reading it again a couple years later I had to re-learn the book's language. Highly recommend it to everyone.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never even heard of the book/movie.

Sounds like something I might like though. I'll have to look it up & see what it's all about.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

Wow, I didn't know that. I wonder why it was omitted, I can't think of anything offensive in it?

The real ending is a lot more depressing than the short version. Becoming a another brick in the wall and all that.
Apparently, the American publisher convinced Burgess to drop that chapter. He regretted the decision later, but I agree wit the American publisher. I don't like the last original chapter much.

This link explains it nearly halfway down the page. http://www.brentonpriestley.com/writ...ork_orange.htm

Interesting to note: Kubrick had only read the American version of the book when he started the screenplay.

Tricia