discolored mouth/lips

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 13-yr-old calico, Heidi was diagnosed with a tumor in her liver and mass in her chest a few months ago and was on medication to help with pain. She's been getting around fine but lately it's gotten worse.

We noticed last night that her mouth/lips looked discolored, like a dark brown place and are really puffy/swollen. She keeps licking her lips and mouth but won't hardly drink or eat at all. She barely goes to the bathroom anymore either. She basically lays around all day but she can get up and isn't stumbling or erratic behavior.

What could cause her mouth to be like this?

gidgetcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liver disease can cause discoloration of the lips and gums, as well as swelling. It can be a very serious situation, so I would suggest getting back to the vet ASAP.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GidgetCat

Liver disease can cause discoloration of the lips and gums, as well as swelling. It can be a very serious situation, so I would suggest getting back to the vet ASAP.
I'm going to emphatically second the advice of a trip to the vet. Discolored lips and gums in any animal is cause for concern. A cat with a history of illness should definitely be checked out soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we are taking her to the vet tomorrow. she's really sick and i think we're going to have to end up having her put down. i'm so sick right now. but thank you so much for your advice and support <3

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pray that you dont have to have her PTS. Goodness it feels like it should at least be longer before she crosses the bridge!! Im so sorry about the decision you have to make! If she has told you its time, then its probably time! None the less its one of the hardest decisions you will ever make, and almost always afterwards you will feel like you did the wrong thing, even though you didn't! They tell you when its time to go...

I wish nothing but the best for you and your kitty! Please keep us informed!
You are in my Prayers tonite, and Im sending healing vibes your way!!

You will know what to do.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't reply sooner...

I posted this on the 3rd of January, and the 4th we had to have Heidi PTS. She ended up having another tumor under her chin, along with the ones in her liver.

My heart is still broken. It was the saddest day of my life and the hardest thing I've ever done. My mom still is so upset about it. We truly lost a member of the family. She's been around longer than my brother, so it's really hard to let go.

Thanks to everyone for the support. <33

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry. It is so hard to lose a pet, because they are so much more than pets to us. They are our family. They often "understand" us better than the humans in our family!