How much do you spend on clothes?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In a year or month?

I was doing my 2008 budget New Year's Day (I know boring) and I really started getting into it. I had no idea what to budget for clothes, since I believed I really don't buy any and I don't have any money for clothes.

But, to be wise, thought I should budget for it for a change, so I added up my 2007 clothes expenditure: $1800
I couldnt believe it! I wanted to throw up.

What is normal spending for you all? $1800 is just way way too much!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We never really budget for that kind of stuff. Generally I get something new when something old wears out beyond repair. I'd say DH spends more than me just because he goes through shoes so fast for work.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do our shopping at Goodwill usually. Last weekend John did buy me a new pair of jeans at the department store because Goodwill didn't have any in my size that day. I really like half off day at Goodwill, I can get a whole pile of really nice things for $30 or less. And I don't really need clothes too often, just whenever things are too worn out to wear or don't fit anymore... that was my challenge last year is that I kept losing weight and things didn't fit as well anymore.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost all my clothes are bought at thrift stores, like Savers - I rarely pay over $5 for anything. Most stuff is practically brand new. So yearly clothes spending is probably only a couple hundred dollars.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rarely go clothes shopping. Clothes are fun but not that important to us.

Hubby & I didn't spend much on clothes in 2007. If its not on sale, clearanced, or at a place like Goodwill, then we aren't interested. We have a hard time buying clothes for full price. Just can't do it...

Since we have a big family of kitties, all that extra money is for them

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never kept track. I buy clothes when I need them (or feel I need them) and can afford them. If I account for all of the single piece items I buy (usually something cute on sale at meijer) and the fact that I try to sale shop as often as possible I think $1,000 to $1,500 is perfectly reasonable for a year. Especially if that accounts for shoes, undergarments and other clothing items. In fact, I just did some shopping this afternoon (my winter wardrobe needs serious updating) and spent $90 on a pant suit (pants/jacket), a pair of slacks, a knit top w/ a cami and a pair of walking shorts (not in season but only $10!). I also try very hard to get pieces I can wear with more than one thing. Interchangeable is good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm all for thrifting and cosign some of my stuff myself.
I just have to do a lot of searching to find something useful that is flattering. Many trips I'm not lucky.

Oh, and to clarify - that total is for everythings - shoes, underwear, socks, shoes, etc.

I did spend $449 on shoes though - eeggghhhh

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably spend about $300 or $400 a year. I don't buy myself much new clothes at all. Most of what I buy is black pants for work because they get worn out so fast wearing them every day.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop mail order mostly. Got my NYE dress on-line. It is hard to keep track of expenses when you shop here and there. I splurge on bras. I have 20.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I've never kept track. I buy clothes when I need them (or feel I need them) and can afford them.
Same goes for me...but anytime I go to the US shopping, I will easily drop $200-$400..so about 3 times a year..thats about $900 right there and that doesn't include any shopping I do here in Canada. (Although now that I have a taste of the cheap prices there, I doubt I'll be shopping here any more
)

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I've never kept track. I buy clothes when I need them (or feel I need them) and can afford them.
Thats how I am too. I've never budgeted for clothes, just when I need them, I will get what I need.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats how I am too. I've never budgeted for clothes, just when I need them, I will get what I need.
Me too! Which got me in trouble! (see OP)

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Me too! Which got me in trouble! (see OP)

But I never pay full price for anything
If I know I'm going to need new winter/summer clothing, or even a pair of pants for work, I go to JCPenny's. They have amazing door busters on Saturdays & can usually get what I need for 50-60% off.

I really don't buy clothes that often, I wish I could tho

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a real cheapo when it comes to spending money on clothes for myself. I hate shopping so do it only out of necessity and almost never pay full price. I always change to my "work clothes" at home and wear my real clothes only when I leave home so my clothes last a long time (I work at home). I did get a $400 London Fog coat in December but I didn't have to pay for that since it was a Christmas gift.

I don't think what you spent was very much, not for a year.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always shop the clearance section. Since the places I like to buy from is outrageously expensive. Right now for pants I'm addicted to A&E a little pircey but considering they're the only ones that fit me right I'm willing. If I can find something at Ross it's a good day. I have to have a lot of patience tho.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't think what you spent was very much, not for a year.
Oh good. I didnt know what the norm was.
When I broke it down by category it didn't seem bad - just totalled it was Egads!!

I generally do not buy expensive stuff, other than shoes (cheap shoes hurt my feet and fall apart too easily - I have bad feet and am rough on them)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't tell you how much I have spent all year...... I buy all of my clothes of the sale rack and never pay more than 10 dollars for a shirt.

Almost all of my brand new shirts were less than $5. We live near a Rue21 Outlet store!!!