*****KatKwiz - Jan. 3 - 1144*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today's answer is not particularly useful, but it teaches how to do some very useful things. It also requires knowledge in several areas, which as always, can be found on The Cat Site. And it is HARD. However, the answer can be found in less than a minute if you know how, without any counting involved.

Reminder: You cannot play until two hours after this post if you have 1200 or more posts.

The number of active Top Cats with the letters cat in their user name is _________.

Do NOT show how you got your answer. The reason for this is if your answer is wrong, you may be providing important clues to finding the answer.

I will be back in four hours to give a major hint if there is still no correct answer.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lee still hasn't announced a winner, so all folks who have over 1200 posts feel free to chime in, it's been 2 hours! It's possible RobertM may not be correct

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Came up with 38 here
It was fun figuring it out even when we don't win...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

OK, I'm gonna guess 38.
I have PMd RobertM to show proof on how he got 38. The contest remains open until I hear back from him. This is NOT the answer I came up with but I have been wrong before and freely admit it. That is why we do the PM in cases like this. Hold on, will RobertM win again today???

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I have PMd RobertM to show proof on how he got 38. The contest remains open until I hear back from him. This is NOT the answer I came up with but I have been wrong before and freely admit it. That is why we do the PM in cases like this. Hold on, will RobertM win again today???
I do not know what has happened here but there was just a post here from AbbysMom that had the correct answer. Did she delete here post? Did she not want the points? I will PM her to see what happened.

38 is NOT the correct answer. If I hear from AbbysMom, she will get the points, otherwise this contest is still open and here is the major hint that I promised:

The key here is the word active. What is an active member? Select Cat Forums at the top of the page and then look at the bottom of the page for the number of active members. Then do a mouse over and you will be provided with the information all three of you that answered 38 overlooked.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I do not know what has happened here but there was just a post here from AbbysMom that had the correct answer. Did she delete here post? Did she not want the points? I will PM her to see what happened.

38 is NOT the correct answer. If I hear from AbbysMom, she will get the points, otherwise this contest is still open and here is the major hint that I promised:

The key here is the word active. What is an active member? Select Cat Forums at the top of the page and then look at the bottom of the page for the number of active members. Then do a mouse over and you will be provided with the information all three of you that answered 38 overlooked.
Uh-oh!! I was going to post the number...but went back to recheck and there must be a couple of non-active members that have signed on...mass confusion in my brain!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No, I never posted in this thread. I don't need the points, so guess away people.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well...OK, here goes! At 12:39 PM I found 22 "active" TopCats....but I didn't find them the easy way you mentioned.
And then, when I started to post my answer this afternoon, I found 23.....and now I just found 24!!
So my answer is one of the above!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Oh well...OK, here goes! At 12:39 PM I found 22 "active" TopCats....but I didn't find them the easy way you mentioned.
And then, when I started to post my answer this afternoon, I found 23.....and now I just found 24!!
So my answer is one of the above!!
You are today's winner.
When I asked the question, 22 was the correct answer. Another member, Abbysmom, found the number increasing as you have. I remember asking a question like this in the past, which I had forgotten that there are some problems with the clock that fluxuates or something. I can remember hydroaxe saying this was a problem. In view of all this, I have to declare you the winner. Congratulations!

Those of you that answered 38 were on the right track. 38 is what I get when I do not enter 60 days on the advance search.

So here is my ONE way of finding the answer:

Find out how many posts a Top Cat has, 1200 posts.
Find out what an active member is: One that has posted in the last sixty days.
Go to Members List
Select Search, then advanced search
Enter cat in the user name field
Enter 1200 in the Post Count field
Enter 2007-11-04 in the Last Post is after field

(I also entered 11-03 and 11-05 in this field and got the same results)

22 members should be displayed with the count shown

If you get something other than this, let me know and I will tell hydroaxe about this again. But the point here is that taterbug was the first to pick up on the fact that I had the word active in the question. Actually Abbysmom was the first but she graciously said she did not need the points.

So, here come your points, taterbug!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persi & Alley;2116588 Here is some additional information furnished by Abbysmom: If you do an advanced search for "cat" with 1200 posts said:
login[/b] date. You then have to manually count how many have logged in during the past 60 days. Again, you can not use the filter option for last post date. That is not the same as login date. An active user only needs to be logged in and does not have to post.

This would not change today's winner however but is important information. One thing about KatKwiz, you will always get the correct answer in the end because there are lots of people here ready to help me out with getting you the correct info.

Well, now so far we have had two newbie winners and one top cat. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found my answer by:

clicking on Members at the top of the forum
typing "cat" in the search box
then clicked on "posts" to sort them by number of posts
then counted the Topcats that had signed on in the last two months

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I found my answer by:

clicking on Members at the top of the forum
typing "cat" in the search box
then clicked on "posts" to sort them by number of posts
then counted the Topcats that had signed on in the last two months
And your way is the definitive way; there is no doubt you are today's winner.