Question of the Day - January 3rd

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Marie, for the inspiration for this one!

What kind of grocery shopper are you?

Do you scour the circulars, make a long list complete with corresponding coupons?

or are you more like me, run in for a few things, forget half the things you went in for, end up with a lot of stuff you didn't go in for, spend way to much money, and forget your coupons?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I look at the ads, but I never remember to clip coupons

Otherwise I take a little calculator with me & add up everything that I'm getting so I don't go over my budget on what I want to spend. That way I know I'm not ending up with crap that we really don't need, and just looks good at the moment

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the sales ads when they come in the mail, make a list of what we need.... and then entirely forget my list and everything on it and wander around trying to remember what we needed!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since I garden and freeze/can alot of veggies and some fruit I save a bit.

Plus one of my clients is an artisianal bakery and they pay me via gift card so that takes care of bread.

I don't really watch the flyers in the newspaper though. I shop at a couple of stores-one for the staples and the other for their meat counter as they reduce the price on their meat items and I stock up.

I have a chest freezer and mom gave me one of those food saver things which works real well.

I have a pantry area in the basement that I store items that were on sale.

I don't really buy any prepackaged foods as I make just about everything "from stratch"!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Do you scour the circulars, make a long list complete with corresponding coupons?

or are you more like me, run in for a few things, forget half the things you went in for, end up with a lot of stuff you didn't go in for, spend way to much money, and forget your coupons?
Real men do not use coupons!

And we definately never use maps.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the few occasions that I do the grocery shopping (hubby is a retired, stay at home hubby) I make a list of all the things I need and go around ticking things off as I get them. I can't remember ever having used a coupon at the store.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work for a federal program when I graduated college and we had to monitor participating grocery stores for compliance-that was fun!!!

I could spend hours in grocery stores in fact the second time I went to England several of us spent time at an Asda store checking out the differences between grocery stores in the US and England!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go early in the morning and take a list. Chocolate is always first, followed by cat food.
We use coupons for things we use, but most of our purchases are the store brand which is almost always cheaper.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I am a typical grocery shopper.
I love to cook and spend the morning planning the dinner menu. Then I go to our neighborhood market (great place, with the best in fresh) to get the ingredients. If whatever veggie in my recipe is not in season, I just go with the flow and pick out something fresh.
I rarely buy anything in cans except things like crushed tomatoes and black beans.
I bring my own grocery sacks and I never remember to use the darn coupons so I gave up on them.
I love farmer's markets.
I know. I am totally weird going to the market every day and bringing my own sacks.

I buy my catfood at Petsmart.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

1.-I make a list of all the things I need and go around ticking things off as I get them. 2.- I can't remember ever having used a coupon at the store.
1.- Yes I to make a list for to buy...

2.- Is very Unusual here in mexico to use coupons...
...the owners are stinkys!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH makes a list, checks the circular and may clip coupons. He shops at one store only for food but target for other odds/ends.

Mom makes her list isle by isle, clips coupons, checks 3 circulars and hits at least 3 stores depending on the bargains.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have an organized strategy: I record the sales of interest from each store from all circulars. I then pull coupons I will be using plus the ones for the sale items only.

Do I save money this way in the long run? No idea - I just find the whole practice FUN!

I also do an organized list partially based on what is on sale usually, with menu ideas jotted down. I'm not really a stickler on keeping solely to the list, I just enjoy "pretending" I'm a conscious shopper.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I don't think I am a typical grocery shopper.
I love to cook and spend the morning planning the dinner menu. Then I go to our neighborhood market (great place, with the best in fresh) to get the ingredients. If whatever veggie in my recipe is not in season, I just go with the flow and pick out something fresh.
I rarely buy anything in cans except things like crushed tomatoes and black beans.
I bring my own grocery sacks and I never remember to use the darn coupons so I gave up on them.
I love farmer's markets.
I know. I am totally weird going to the market every day and bringing my own sacks.

I buy my catfood at Petsmart.
I understand
When I lived in SF I shopped nearly every day.
I lived off 14 th street, the BART I took to work was on 16th and a natural food store was in between on 15th. I stopped in everyday after work. Loved the farmer's market too I hit on weekends.

*Sigh*...I miss the produce in CA *sniff*

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually walk in with something in mind, walk through all the aisles, change my mind and have to wind through the aisles again to get stuff for the new something I'm planning and then walk out having forgotten something important.

And all done as fast as possible, I HATE grocery shopping.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost never bother with ads or coupons. Generally my shopping is done at Walmart (except meats because theirs taste funny to me). I make a menu for the week, then make the list from there. It keeps the 'extra' spending down. Plus having a menu keeps things from going to waste.

Sometimes I find looking at coupons or the ads makes me add extra things to our grocery list. I started shopping with a menu in mind after I got laid off last summer and I've noticed our grocery bill is down an average of $30 per week. Of course not having DH there adding thing when I'm not looking helps too.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's me!!!!!