My Beautiful torte!!

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story::
I fostered Torrie from a bottle baby...she had URI..was filthy, fleas and malnourished. She had littermates but I am positive they were not from the same litter. One was a tuxedo, other was gray, and the other was a runt..black and white...He was also very sick!..Ok long story short..after several months of constant care and lots of antibiotics, IV's they all got healthy and got adopted. Even Torrie..against my better judgement, I let her go..BUT I said if I ever got to see her again, she was comming back home with me. That was in August and to my surprise she was returned to the Humane society in November. The instant I saw her , the workers and my family knew I was never gonna let her go again. But she was very sick, She had a URI and was wheezing horribly. I took her to the vet several times and she has been on antibiotics atleast 4 times since November.
He said she has a Herpes virus (?) and that she will have outbreaks of URI atleast 4 times a year. OK fine we will deal with it. No stess or sudden changes to upset her..we can handle that to.
Heres my ? Should I have her on extra vitamins? Should i get a second opinion, cuz none of my other cats are showing any signs. Should she be on a special diet..These are ? my vet did not answer. I read that Torties are very special cats and she is very special and unique. She is laid back and so loveable. Any advice? I am open to any suggestions
Thanks

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about putting her on Lysine. I have a kitten with Herpes and he is doing very well on the Lysine. I can get it at Krogers for about $8.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks...you know what.. one of the girls at the humane society gave me that for her..suppose to shake it on her food...i told the vet and he rolled his eyes. Where could i get it...in a pet store. My vet is not a bad man..he is very old-fashioned and does not beleive that animals should suffer in anyway,,,he would probably prefer I put her down. That of course is not an option what-so-ever. Thanks again

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can offer no help. I just wanted to say, good luck with your girl. She sure is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her.
It was great that you spotted her at the HS. Wow.

Is there another vet around that could offer a 2nd opinion? Or one you could call?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Laurie314

Thanks...you know what.. one of the girls at the humane society gave me that for her..suppose to shake it on her food...i told the vet and he rolled his eyes. Where could i get it...in a pet store. My vet is not a bad man..he is very old-fashioned and does not beleive that animals should suffer in anyway,,,he would probably prefer I put her down. That of course is not an option what-so-ever. Thanks again
I found it at Kroger's in the vitamin aisle, and I've seen it at some other stores as well (Walmart would most likely have it). I buy the tablets and just either break off the amount I need and put it in his mouth or I crush it up and put it in his canned food. He doesn't mind either way, but it may be easier on your cat to hide it in her food. My vet recommended 250 mg. a day while he's a kitten, and 500 mg. during a flair up. He said that when Taco is older I can up the dosage to 500 mg. daily and 1000 mg. during a flair up if needed.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much but I have a few more ? How long have you been using this? I am just nervous about using new things. I bought her vitamins but just saw a recall on hartz vitamins..I would never use a hartz product...but you know the domino effect.
She is having a flare-up right now..she is about 6-7 lbs and 8 months old.
Thankyou.....

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry Torrie and you have to deal with this. I have two kittens that were put on Lysine 250 mg twice a day by their vet. They are about 11 weeks old weighing 3 pounds and have an infection, flare up, now.

Our vet has his own kitten and 15 yr old on Lysine.

I got mine in the powder form at local health store. Easy to put in wet food.

Other suggestions given to me were to keep them on a good quality food.

I am new to this problem with Feline Herpes Virus and cats. Those with more experience may have more to offer.

Hope things get better soon.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i bought Lysine (250mg) at Walmart..the pills are huge..I am dissloving them in waterand giving it to her in a syringe. I am going to look at the health food store for the powder form..Thanks for the help....during a flare-up should I also get her on antibiotics or just let this take its course..she is sneezing..but thats it.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Torrie is on the Lysine.I started with 250 mg daily...she seems to be worse..I am taking her to the vet today. i understand that with Feline herpes virus, this is something we have to live with, BUT..since I got her in November, she has not had a good week without sneezing and being congested. She's been on antibiotics over and over..I wonder if a steriod might help. Can a cat have asthma? Poor thing..wonder what else I can do...she is still eating so thats a good sign! Any suggestions

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give both of my torties Lysine in the pill form. I got a pill splitter that also has a pill crusher. I split a 500mg pill, then crush each half, then put it under their wet food at night.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it take times before I should see some results with the Lysine? I took Torrie to the vet again this evening.I told him about the Lysine. His comment was "Apparently its not working" He gave her more meds(eyedrops and antibiotic) and a shot. He wants to test her for feline lukemia and feline aids. I told him no..i'd rather not know. I have 8 cats..that would be devastaing. I was in panic all the way home. I looked at Torrie's records and she was tested for both , one in August and the other in November, both came back negative..whew Thank God!! I am going to continue the Lysine and see if it helps. I think my Toby brought this virus in when I got him neutered, cuz he got sick right after..but he got over it. She caught it and just lingers. None of my other cats have any symptoms what-so-ever. Thanks for your thoughts..I appreciate it so much