You're Going To Laugh, But...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which side do you set your glass on, when you're using a coaster??

My son & I got into a debate over this, when he was here visiting last March. He told me the decorative side goes up so you can see the pattern - and I told him no - you put your glass on the flip side, where the cork or felt side is: that's the whole point of using a coaster - to capture the moisture. What good is it gonna do, if you don't use the side that captures the moisture?!

Sometimes I think they switched babies on me at the hospital..

Which side do YOU use??

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have marble coasters that have green felt on one side and a cork centre on the other. I use the cork and so do anyone who comes here and picks up a coaster to use.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would use it with the design side up, because the cork/felt side is supposed to protect the surface it's being placed on from being scratched.

Tricia

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Design side up, the cork or felt is there to protect the furniture it is sitting on. The decorated (tile) side would just scratch up the surface worse than the glass you put the coaster under!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

Design side up, the cork or felt is there to protect the furniture it is sitting on. The decorated (tile) side would just scratch up the surface worse than the glass you put the coaster under!
Same here!!! Mine are clay (horse design of course) so it soaks up the moisture too.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are wood with a cork lined depression in the center of it. I've always set it with the wood side down and the cork lined depression soaks up any condensation that drips off the glass.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I would use it with the design side up, because the cork/felt side is supposed to protect the surface it's being placed on from being scratched.

Tricia

That's how I use them, too, felt side down.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Mine are wood with a cork lined depression in the center of it. I've always set it with the wood side down and the cork lined depression soaks up any condensation that drips off the glass.
Yours are built differently, and it sounds like it's supposed to be cork side up. If they're flat with cork on one side, it's supposed to be cork side down.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea I always put my glass on the decorative side with the cork down. I always thought that the cork was just to protect the furniture... have I been using coasters wrong all my life?

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put the picture side up on our coasters
Although you can never see the photos when you put your glass on them anyways & the glasses always stick to the condensation on the coaster...

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhm... the felt on the back is to pretect the tabletop from being scratched
Most tops are heat resistant, patterned or not, so that your hot mug doesn't damage the table.....

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decorative side up because why buy the coster if you don't like the pattern? I agree with the other side protecting the furniture.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was always under the impression that the decorative side goes up, the felt or cork side is on the bottom as to not damage the table it is set upon.

Now i'm begining to wonder. Have I been coaster ignorant all these years?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an interesting conversation!

Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Tricia

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

My MIL has those kind too and we all use them the same way you do.

Originally Posted by laureen227

i have those absorbent stone coasters, & i use the pretty side.
These are what I have now but we don't actually use coasters because out table is tile mosaic top so it's heat/water resistant anyway. Plus, it's really old and beat up so a few drips won't be noticed.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

The cork side goes flat on the table in my house with the cup/glass on the decorative side
Thats how I've always used them too