Would you bother returning it?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I stopped by the groceries on my way back from work to pick up a few things, including a small bag of yellow split peas. I just started working on my soup and noticed that there were bugs in the bag

I'm doing my soup without (I had some green split peas left from last time, and added some barley too) but I'm wondering if I should go back to the grocery store to return it.

Pros:
- I can get my dollar back
- I can pick up the raisins I forgot to buy earlier
- It's the principle of the thing
- Walking there is good exercise
- If I'm too tired tonight, I can always go tomorrow (after carrying the bug infested food all day?
)

Cons:
- I have to walk there and back (about 15-20 minutes)
- It's only a dollar
- I'm kind of tired
- The bag is no longer sealed, so I don't know if they'd take it back.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would return it, but since it's only a dollar and you're tired, I would least call and speak to a manager. Explain that it's not their fault (it came to their store already sealed I'm assuming) and you just wanted to let them know that you found bugs in the bag so they can be made aware and maybe check the rest of their stock. But, definitely ask to speak to a manager whether you go there in person or just call. A clerk would probably be like "yeah, whatever" but a manager is the one that needs to be told. And, you may actually get a credit from the store for it.

Was the bag frozen? What kind of bugs were they? Ewwww....

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Pros:
- I can get my dollar back
- I can pick up the raisins I forgot to buy earlier
- It's the principle of the thing
- Walking there is good exercise
- If I'm too tired tonight, I can always go tomorrow (after carrying the bug infested food all day?
)
Yes, on all counts. As for the last point, do you have a ziplock bag you can put the whole thing into?

You're entitled to food you can use, and they need to know there's a problem their merchandise.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't matter if its open or if its only a dollar - its bad food - take it back with your receipt for replacement or money back.

We stopped in the gas station one time - got a few cupcakes to tied us over. Opened the one package and they were STALE. The other cupcakes were fine - so before we pulled out, DH took back the ones (opened) and told them about the stale product - we got a trade to the other cupcakes which were fine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Was the bag frozen? What kind of bugs were they? Ewwww....
No, it's a bag of dry peas, from the bulk food section (which probably mean they ALL have bugs)
And I don't know what kind of bugs they are... they're small, black, longish and alive!

It's the second time in a week that I almost cook live bugs. I don't even want to think about how many times I might have not caught it in time.

Well, the grocery store will be closing soon and I just thought of other excuses:
- I'm already in my pyjamas
- It's very cold outside.

But I'll return the bag tomorrow. I'll see if I can find their phone number and call tonight.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Yes, on all counts. As for the last point, do you have a ziplock bag you can put the whole thing into?

You're entitled to food you can use, and they need to know there's a problem their merchandise.
I would definately return it. If you can't go until tomorrow, I would for sure & call and talk to a manager. They need t know their food has bugs!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you don't return it you should at least talk to a manager.

I've had bad stuff before, and plain old been too lazy to go back to return it. I should have and meant to, but didn't get to it.

Edited to add: nothing I bought had bugs...It was a frozen meal that the seal wasn't sealed on the microwavable part.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should at least call the store and tell them what happen. Most likely they will tell you to bring it back next time you go shopping and they will replace it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like weevils. Long time since I've seen them, and you don't want them taking up residence in any other dried goods, or you'll have the devil's own time getting rid of them. However, with decent air-tight seals these days, you're probably OK. Just keep that package sealed up (ziplock) and return it ASAP. The store doesn't want weevils in their stock, either
so they'll probably appreciate knowing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Ummm....maybe you should find a new grocery store??

actually, the last time was my fault. It was a bag of rice I had opened months ago and stored in my cupboard without closing it properly.

Usually, I prefer to buy from a little non-profit food co-op near the university, but I didn't think it would be open today. I've never had a problem with their food.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to return them at your convenience. I always take bad stuff back, and it's never ever been refused since they aren't supposed to be selling old food. Some grocery stores here will give you double your money back for your inconvenience. But don't forget the receipt.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be as concerned about the money (it is only a dollar, after all) as I would be about the bugs in the food: it's the principle of the thing. EWWWW!
The store needs to be notified that there may be other contaminated food.

I've had a lot of problems recently buying food from Wal-Mart: bad meat, rotten potatoes, produce w/ bugs, etc. I quit shopping there for food: I got sick & tired of having to take things back for a refund or exchange...

At least notify the store that they may possibly have more bags of buggy food..

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're dry so I'd probably just wash them really well, several times and use them. Now if they were fresh or if it were a bag of flour or something, that would be totally different.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take it back, even though it's open I'm sure they'll take it back. I've had that happen to me before, they took it back and gave me a replacement.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately return it, especially if it was from the bulk food area. The entire barrel would be infected. If someone got sick from it, the store would be liable. They would probably thank you.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I said to return it. I work in a grocery store and we always tell people to bring stuff back if there are issues. We take that kind of thing very seriosly. When you return it they will give you your money back or just replace the item. What you won't see is what happens behind the sceens. They will contact the buyer, the supplyer and the company. They will also include the lot number and information so the company can check their product and make sure its either just an isolated situation or an issue with the entire lot. One othe thing I would do is call the number on the bag that if for customer service and tell them what you found. It will help speed up the process. You really don't want other people to run into the same problem. Buy returning food like this you are helping quallity control. How do you think recalls start?

For example we have a product on recall because glass was found in it. We have pulled it all from shelves and are asking people to return what they have so we can send it back to the company to be checked. Had the first costomer not returned it when they say a problem than maybe alot of people could have been hurt or worse. Luckily no one was hurt and the glass was found before consumption but it could have been tradgic.

I know its a pain for you but it really needs to be brought to their attention.