Pet Fountain

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a good pet fountain from an online store or Petsmart? I just bought one from Feeders Supply and it is a waste of money. All it does is trickle the water out. I want a fountain where my cats will actually be interested in it. (One that has a lot of water coming out of it)

This is the one I bought...

(thats not my cat)

Thanks.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear by the Drinkwell. I love it so much I bought two.

You can find them for relatively low $ on eBay.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I purchased this one from Pet Supplies Plus, I wasn't too expensive, I think I got it on sale for just under $30. I love how it works, and my cat DO drink noticably more water now. The only thing is sometimes you have to play with the pump a little to make sure it is in the right spot so that the water covers the entire upper bowl as it spills down.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...utm_source=cse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OOOooooOOOooo! I probably will try that one for them.

Originally Posted by Kelicat

I purchased this one from Pet Supplies Plus, I wasn't too expensive, I think I got it on sale for just under $30. I love how it works, and my cat DO drink noticably more water now. The only thing is sometimes you have to play with the pump a little to make sure it is in the right spot so that the water covers the entire upper bowl as it spills down.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...utm_source=cse

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different cats like different things. I have both the fountain the OP pictured (petmate deluxe) and the Cat it kelicat posted, mine prefer the petmate but will drink from both.

cat-it does not have a high water flow, it trickles out from the top. petmate flows faster - and is adjustable which the cat-it isn't.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the reason my cats are not interested in the petsmate one is the fountain is way in the back so they just drink from the front of it. Oh mine just trickles out so I wonder if mines broke or something.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fadeaway872

I think the reason my cats are not interested in the petsmate one is the fountain is way in the back so they just drink from the front of it. Oh mine just trickles out so I wonder if mines broke or something.
I also have the Petsmate and my boys love it. Frantic will not drink water unless it is fresh and flowing from the sink...he will drink from the Petsmate if I don't go in the bathroom with him.

If your cats don't like the trickle, increase te flow. On the front of the pump is a lever. Turn the top of the lever to the right to increase. The directions suggest the lever be to the left, which gives you the trickle.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the White 108oz Petmate Deluxe water fountain for our fuzzies
They love it!

Try moving the lever like Sweets said, that increases the water flow.
Hopefully your cat starts liking the water bowl

Also maybe try putting some ice cubes in the water bowl to see if that attracts your kitties

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have the one in the photo you showed. There is a control on the pup that turns the water up so it circulates more. That one lasted 4 or 5 years & then cracked (probably because Jordan liked to flip it over all the time). Now I've got the Cat-It. Mine liked the old one, but took a little bit to adjust to the Cat-It. They are so spoiled they won't drink out of regular bowls anymore.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That totally worked. Thanks yall! Hopefully they will be more interested in it now since you can see the water in the bowl moving kinda.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fadeaway872

Can anyone recommend a good pet fountain from an online store or Petsmart? I just bought one from Feeders Supply and it is a waste of money. All it does is trickle the water out. I want a fountain where my cats will actually be interested in it. (One that has a lot of water coming out of it)

This is the one I bought...

(thats not my cat)

Thanks.
that's what i have. i have a cat-sized one & a dog-sized one. my cats like them just fine!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the original Drinkwell. I think it's the easiest to clean. I was going to sell it, since Raven passed and he really liked it. But I might just shop around and get a second fountain - the Freshflow. One of my cats is drinking out of the Drinkwell. I just don't know who.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, the pump on my Freshflow died several month ago. I went to a regular bowl until I could get a new pump/filter. I'm now considering getting a drinkwell because I just saw that they make little basket for growing hydroponic cat crass in the edge of the water bowl.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

We use the Drinkwell Platinum.
My 3 love it. We've had it since February of '07 and it's going strong. The only problem is this darn leak it gets every so often....oh no wait...that's just Miss Merlynn splashing the water out of it and following it down the grout lines.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Ok, the pump on my Freshflow died several month ago. I went to a regular bowl until I could get a new pump/filter. I'm now considering getting a drinkwell because I just saw that they make little basket for growing hydroponic cat crass in the edge of the water bowl.
Save your money on the hydroponic thing - I have one, and it's a cute idea, and it grows a small amount of grass, but it also grows roots into the bowl, and the water slimes up REALLY fast and then the intake gets clogged and you have to clean the fountain WAY more often than normal.

I highly recommend the drinkwell, but for cat grass, I recommend that you grow your own the old fashioned way - in potting soil.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Save your money on the hydroponic thing - I have one, and it's a cute idea, and it grows a small amount of grass, but it also grows roots into the bowl, and the water slimes up REALLY fast and then the intake gets clogged and you have to clean the fountain WAY more often than normal.

I highly recommend the drinkwell, but for cat grass, I recommend that you grow your own the old fashioned way - in potting soil.
Thanks! First hand experience is always good and what you described is totally logical. I just thought it looked cool and I'm bad at remembering to water plants.

kendalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the fountain you posted. My cats love it. Hair does get clogged in the pump every now and again and I have to clean it out though.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Petmate. The cat displays a slight bit more interest... but the dog LOVES it.

I may have to get the cat a different kind and give the other one to the dog.

fadeaway872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those who have the petmate one (the one in my op) how often do you change the filter?