felidae cat food

ro-zie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm new at this.

I'm currently debating on what kind of food to give my 3 boys. I have an american short hair, maine coone and scottish fold. My american short hair (connor) did suffer from FUS, about a year ago, and now he's on prescription diet that his vet prescribed. I've seen the ingredients that hill's put on the bag and it's not the best thing in the world. I've come a cross a pet food called Felidae and I've been told it's pretty good, and that it helps with the prevention of chrystals in the urine. My vet has refused to prescribe anything else or equivalent to hills prescription diet.

I did go to another vet and discussed my options in cat food. I brought with me serveral samples of different cat foods. I brought him samples of Hi-Tor, Felidae, and Flint River Ranch. He strongly suggested to go with IVD Control or Felidae.
Has anyone used Felidae or IVD Control dry food before if so, what were the results. BTW my other 2 cats are fine is the short hair that has the problem.

Confused,
Rosie

alicat613

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not very familiar with felidae, but it's known as a good food. I think the second vet sounds much more open to different ideas, and if he suggests the felidae, I'd go with that, and see how it works.

Ingredients on felidae (I only found one line of it):
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lecithin, Nutritional Yeast, Natural Flavors, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberry Meal, Apple Meal, Probiotics, (Freeze Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Freeze Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product), Vitamins A, D-Activated Animal Sterol Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, Niacin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine-Hydrochloride, Thiamin, Biotin, Amino Acid Chelated Minerals, Zinc, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Cobalt, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Bacillus Subtilis, Yeast Culture, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Sounds pretty good to me! Good luck and hope they like it!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used to use the IVD at our clinic for prescription diets. It's a good food, but most complained that their pets wouldn't eat it. I have never actually tasted it, but I think it may be too blan.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. Most clients and friends said it was hard to get their animals to eat the IDV, I know a lot of vets will put things like a dot of gerber veal food in with it to make it more platable. Though with Gerber hiding garlic and onions in some of their meat products, I don't know how good of an idea that would be for cats.

As for the Felidae, I have heard great things about it. From the ingredients it looks to be a great food, I would personally feed it! And that should say a lot
hee hee.

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used Felidae in the past. Mine like it alot and seemed to do very well on it. I use Innova most of the time but occassionally I like to rotate brands and Felidae is one that I will definately use again. Its a great food IMO.

Vanessa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ro-zie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to thank the ppl that have responded to my earlier question in regards to cat food.
I'm glad that I found this site. I will let you know what food I've decided to go with.

Best regards,
Rosie

coeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ro-sie - I have just gotten off the phone with a wonderful breeder of Somalis, Bengal and Abbyssinians (Margo Martin, N. Truro, MA). I have known of her cattery for years since my sister and her family have purchased 3 Abby's from her. A few years ago my sister gave me a retired Abby breeder from Margo, and this cat has since gone on to her feline heavenly reward. Next month I am going up to MA to pick up my new Abby, another retired breeder. When I asked Margo what she feeds her cats, she gave me several choices, but says she overwhelmingly likes to feed her cats felidae canned food. It contains many of the supplements which she used to give separately to her cats. She often mixes it with Merrick canned dog food (yes, dog food...) because she says that is also very nutricious and has large chunks that her cats just love. She also leaves feridae dry down for her cats all the time. Unlike many breeders, Margo almost never has a stillborn or sickly kitten, and she attributes that to the food she feeds them. She is a meticulous breeder who is much more interested in her cats' welfare than she is in whether she makes a big profit (this is not to say her cats are cheap to buy!), and I would definitely say she gives extremely good advice on how to have a healthy cat. Best regards, coeli from NC.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat flatly refused to eat the Felidae food.
She loves California Natural in all flavours; but can't eat chicken any more. It's an excellent brand for non-allergenic cats.
At this time my cat eats Nature's Logic rabbit dinner. Both brands are very good. I'd also recommend Eukanaba if your cat eats it.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

My cat flatly refused to eat the Felidae food.
She loves California Natural in all flavours; but can't eat chicken any more. It's an excellent brand for non-allergenic cats.
At this time my cat eats Nature's Logic rabbit dinner. Both brands are very good. I'd also recommend Eukanaba if your cat eats it.
I'm glad mine aren't the only ones! They were okay with the wet food, but would NOT touch the dry. They mostly eat Nutro, although I'd like to intro Innova or California Natural. The best food is the one they'll eat!

ilafa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Ajči Felidae, as it is the only premium food available here in Slovenia. She also refused to eat it at first, but after a few days of having both Nutro and Felidae available, she started eating Felidae - yay. Give it a chance!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felidea was too rich for one and the other said umm no ... But it is a great food for the right cat ...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is a little old,
, but I switched to the Felidae Chicken and Rice (cat has fish allergy) after putting my dog on the Canidae and really liking the results. Plus, my cats are getting to the elderly stage, and I wanted to feed them something better than SD. They didn't think it was so great at first, but now they like it just fine, and their coats are so soft and shiney- and, they have lost the extra weight they were starting to put on, and are staying back at the weight where they should be! I am REALLY pleased with this food
!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Felidae dry to my cats as 1/2 of their daily feed (the other 1/2 is Natural Balance wet) and one of my cats got struvite crystals anyway. I don't know about the Felidae wet. I tried it once and my cats didn't like it. But I suspect any urinary health benefit is primarily from the wet food, not the dry food. Dry food in general isn't conducive to urinary tract health. I've decided to go 100% wet and use the remaining dry food as treats.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been alternating their two canned flavors with Pudge (in addition to feeding her some raw food) for many months now (allergic to corn) and she's doing wonderfully on it.

She maintains an excellent weight for her size, has a lot of energy, a velvety coat, and is in general a happy, healthy cat.

Thankfully, she's been like a miniature vacuum cleaner when it comes to food so far.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties have eaten Felidae for two years and we have had no problems. I did try to get them to switch to Wellness once and they wouldn't have it.