TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Guacamole Recepie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guacamole Recepie

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My SO was interested in making his own like his mom does for him at home. The problem is that the only thing he wants to use is mixing the avocado with some mayo. My idea was to mix some sour cream, a bit of salsa, a squeeze of lime and cilantro. He claims that one it's not how his mom makes it and two he doesn't like any of the other ingredients. Have any of you heard of making guacamole with mayo? Sounds kinda sick to me.
post #2 of 13
It's not guacamole if there isn't at least lime and cilantro.
It's just mashed avacado and mayo.

A waste of good avacado IMO, better to just slice them and eat them plain
post #3 of 13
Here is our family recipe, developed over many years of living in Texas and asking restaurants how to make their guacamole. The recipe was finalized by our daughter and now both kids and adults love this guacamole. I can never make enough because it always all gets eaten!

4 avocados, mashed
juice of one lime (not lemon)
1 medium tomato
2 slices of red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste but remember corn chips are salty

Mix and enjoy. It's good and good for you. Feeds three to four in our family but can feed a crowd if there's lots of other food.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
Here is our family recipe, developed over many years of living in Texas and asking restaurants how to make their guacamole. The recipe was finalized by our daughter and now both kids and adults love this guacamole. I can never make enough because it always all gets eaten!

4 avocados, mashed
juice of one lime (not lemon)
1 medium tomato
2 slices of red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste but remember corn chips are salty

Mix and enjoy. It's good and good for you. Feeds three to four in our family but can feed a crowd if there's lots of other food.
That's exactly how I make it! Actually, I don't measure anything, I just eyeball it, but all the ingredients are the same. YUM
post #5 of 13
I don't put any Mayo in mine, it's
Alvacado
Cherry Tomatoes
Garlic
Onions
Lemmon & Lime Juice
Basil & Cilantro

Mix it all in the food processor... I add quite a bit of garlic because it just tastes good!
post #6 of 13
Mayo in guacamole sounds gross!

My family's recipe is quite simple, but we like it. I suppose you could add onions or cilantro or lime for your own tastes.

If you know the amount of people who will be eating, get one avocado each plus two. The 2nd one is in case one of the avocados are bad. Otherwise get 4-5.

1 small can green chiles
1 medium to large tomato depending on how much you're making
1 lemon

Cut the avocados and take out the pit, and put some lemon (not a lot) on the avocados so they don't start turning.

Squeeze out the green chile juice, and then add about half of the green chiles. Blend this with a mixer until smooth.

Cut the tomato into small pieces and add. You don't have to use the whole tomato if you don't want. Mix well with mixer.

Salt to taste.

Tricia
post #7 of 13
Okay... now I feel like guacamole.
(makes mental note to buy alvacado and corn chips...)
post #8 of 13
I make my own all the time, and I make it to taste.

I use one avacado, a squirt of lemon juice (i prefer that over the lime) and a little bit of chunky salsa. Viola.

Never thought of adding mayo. Maybe next time I will!

The way I see it, is, it is all about personal preference. There is no "ONLY" way to make it, although the recipe I have seen printed most often calls for lemon juice (again, lemon, not lime) chili powder, chopped salsa ingredients.
post #9 of 13
Why doesn't he just ask his mom how she makes it?
post #10 of 13
No mayo, no sour cream, not pureed.

Here's what has evolved over time in my kitchen, based on a lot of trial and error and having experienced Guacamole in Central Mexico a year ago:

1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
juice of half a small lime (or 1 Key lime, if you have it)
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1 small tomato, roughly chopped
a tablespoon or so of minced onion
a dash of cumin
a dash of hot pepper sauce or a little chopped jalapeno
salt and pepper to taste

Mash and mix together with a fork -- nothing finer than that -- it needs to be lumpy.

Multiply as necessary. If it's just the two of us, I do a single batch, on the premise that if we need more it's easy to whip up "the other half", and nicer fresh.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
No mayo, no sour cream, not pureed.

Here's what has evolved over time in my kitchen, based on a lot of trial and error and having experienced Guacamole in Central Mexico a year ago:

1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
juice of half a small lime (or 1 Key lime, if you have it)
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1 small tomato, roughly chopped
a tablespoon or so of minced onion
a dash of cumin
a dash of hot pepper sauce or a little chopped jalapeno
salt and pepper to taste

Mash and mix together with a fork -- nothing finer than that -- it needs to be lumpy.

Multiply as necessary. If it's just the two of us, I do a single batch, on the premise that if we need more it's easy to whip up "the other half", and nicer fresh.


That is the best way that I have ever found to make it!
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Why doesn't he just ask his mom how she makes it?
he knows how she makes it. He expects me to make it the same way. I'm thinking what it may boil down to is going out and getting a few more avocado and making two separate bowls. His mom's way and mine. More for me.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117 View Post
he knows how she makes it. He expects me to make it the same way. I'm thinking what it may boil down to is going out and getting a few more avocado and making two separate bowls. His mom's way and mine. More for me.
If you don't like the way his mom makes it then I'd do this. Personally, I'd want yours. Mayo?! Yuck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Guacamole Recepie