Sneezing

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen a lot on the site about sneezing but most of it is associated with existing viruses or other symptons. So here goes:

* Finn, my almost three year old boy cat, just started sneezing two days ago - not a lot but maybe 25 sneezes in three days

* he is eating fine, his eyes are not watering and he is as playful as ever

* his sister is fine

* he is current on vaccinations and is a "stay at home kitty"

Should I take him to the vet or wait it out a few days? I am less worried about the money and more worried about the trauma as his is not a car kitty. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

catagiousfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he had URI in the past? I have one cat, Cheddar, with a history of upper respiratory infections. Sometimes he will have periods of sneezing over several days. He never has any discharge other than his normal clear fluid. The vet said that the clear fluid was normal for him due to the virus he contracted as a kitten. I don't worry when Cheddar sneezes unless the discharge changes in color or consistency.

Has he ever had bouts of sneezing before?

Carol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response - no he has never had a URI. He has been healthy since I got him at 8 weeks old.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe there is something in his environment that's causing him to sneeze? (Perhaps an allergen?) Has he been scratching himself at all, or had any redness on his skin?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no real scratching and I checked his gums & eyes - they are clear. I have been using hair spray lately I am wondering if that is it. I am thinking i will give it a day or two more and see.

Thanks for the input!

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mention using hair spray - the answer is - yes, what we humans spray around can cause sneezing.

Of course, I have no idea if that is your kitty's only reason for sneezing. Better call your vet and ask if he thinks the kitty should come in.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarySmith

You mention using hair spray - the answer is - yes, what we humans spray around can cause sneezing.

Of course, I have no idea if that is your kitty's only reason for sneezing. Better call your vet and ask if he thinks the kitty should come in.
Well he is sneezing a little so I am going to stop in the vets on the way home and talk to him. I love my vet just hate his secretary and dn't trust she will give him a message. Thanks for all the help.