Cat ate toy Mouse Tail

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! My Cat Princess ate the tail off one of those little mice cats love to bat around. Is this serious or will it pass through her. It happened this morning and she seems fine but I figured someone here must have had this experience. Thanks so much. Aileen

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She'll probably be okay. In his >8 years, Jamie has eaten many a toy mouse tail, without any problem.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats always eat the little leather tails off of those fur mice. They never seem to show up in the litterbox (yeah, I've looked specifically for them, YUCK!) and they've never had any problems such as vomiting or obstruction. Probably all you'll need to do is watch for any obstruction symptoms: ie: nausea, vomiting, excessive salivation, straining to defecate. I doubt any of them will present, but if they do, a trip to the vet would be necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies, I feel better now but I will keep an eye on her. Aileen

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time for poop patrol! Been there, done that! Should be fine, but just watch the litter box to be sure it passes and/or that kitty continues normal litter box habits. If you notice he hasn't pooped then off to the vet you need to go!

Stephanie

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow loved to eat tails of the mice. She never had any problems with them--it's probably a lot like a real mouse in terms of the way the skin/leather and hair pass or are absorbed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the kind with the rabbit fur and basically a small piece of leather? If so, it probably won't hurt. I've had cats "eat" the furry mouse tail (my rexes) and never had a problem. But to be on the safe side, I started just pulling them off at the beginning.

Now if its plastic, it may cause a problem.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all your replies. Any idea how long before the tail may make an appearance? I just know I'm going to be worried until I know she's alright. Yes it was the furry one with the leather tail. Thanks again! Aileen

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always cut off the tails and anything else my cats could easily ingest.
Better safe than sorry.

Sending pass the tail vibes to Princess .

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your answers! So far today everything is normal so hopefully everything will continue going well. Thanks again! Aileen

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aileen06

Thanks so much for all your replies. Any idea how long before the tail may make an appearance? I just know I'm going to be worried until I know she's alright. Yes it was the furry one with the leather tail. Thanks again! Aileen
You may or may not see something in the litter box. It is possible that she will digest the leather, in that case it would be so broken down you wouldn't be able to distinguish it from other waste. Just make sure she's acting normal and doing her business and she'll be fine. You could give her a tiny bit of pumpkin, oil or butter if you want to make sure she stays "regular", but otherwise I would say just keep an eye on her and don't panic. This too shall pass

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sheis still OK today so I hope that means it will be alright. I just loved that "this too shall pass" comment. Many thanks to all!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties eat those too!! I have never seen the "results" from it either! They've never came back out looking like they did when they went in... Ive looked too!!

I hope she is okay! keep us posted!

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well everything is still ok today nothing out of the ordinary so I hope it passed and I didn't see it. Thanks again everyone!

smokeys_mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats love to eat there toys idk why
the other day i was changing the box and seen something orange and was concerned when i looked closer (yucky) i seen that it was foamy and remembered my neighbor playing with my cat using the earphones on that plastic string and put 2 and 2 together and realized he ate the foam ear plugs and it came right out of him lol it was disguisting and funny all at the same time most importantly he was ok

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What if it were a synthetic fabric tail? Would that break down in the stomach?