Any One Read This Book?

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While searching at amazon, I stumbled upon this book. Has anyone read it? What does it cover?

Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food
by Ann N. Martin (Author

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarySmith

While searching at amazon, I stumbled upon this book. Has anyone read it? What does it cover?

by Ann N. Martin (Author

Thanks
Read parts with a common google search... also much of it is outdated .. IF you want current items allowed in pet food and proper definitions you need the Official AFFCO book .. it is not easy to get and is about 50$ ... they used to have a user friendly site but now you have to be a member

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarySmith

by Ann N. Martin (Author

Thanks
Pretty much the (often nauseating) practices in the pet food industry, the quality of the ingredients used, and the lack of government control in the U.S. and Canada. Anybody who read the first edition presumably wasn't shocked by the pet food scandal last spring. I've pre-ordered the updated edition from Amazon.de (I live in Germany) and am still waiting for it. It's definitely worthwhile reading, as is this book of hers: http://www.amazon.com/Protect-Your-P...9223648&sr=8-1
which also discusses BARF.

Should you by any chance understand German, I'd recommend this book: http://www.amazon.de/Katzen-w%C3.../dp/3552060499

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Jcat for your comment. I may try to get this book from the library using the 'inter-library loan' (ILL) system.

Mary

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still waiting for delivery of the book. Originally, I was supposed to get the updated version some time in October/November, but now the projected delivery date is the end of January. Oh, well. I don't feed supermarket/vet office brands, anyway, feed dogs home-cooked foods, and cats a huge variety of premium/home-cooked/"human" foods.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm still waiting for delivery of the book. Originally, I was supposed to get the updated version some time in October/November, but now the projected delivery date is the end of January. Oh, well. I don't feed supermarket/vet office brands, anyway, feed dogs home-cooked foods, and cats a huge variety of premium/home-cooked/"human" foods.
Maybe the delay is due to the March and onward recalls in the PFI, JMO of course. A friend of mine mentioned the book to me a long, long time ago - many years before Mar '07. At the time I kinda dismissed it and went blissfully rolling along until March!

Mary

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Who Knows? I'm a member of the Itchmo forums, and also the Pet Food List, and I know several posters here also are.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Who Knows? I'm a member of the Itchmo forums, and also the Pet Food List, and I know several posters here also are.
I have gained important information by reading there, also.

Mary

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Pretty much the (often nauseating) practices in the pet food industry, the quality of the ingredients used, and the lack of government control in the U.S. and Canada. Anybody who read the first edition presumably wasn't shocked by the pet food scandal last spring. I've pre-ordered the updated edition from Amazon.de (I live in Germany) and am still waiting for it. It's definitely worthwhile reading, as is this book of hers: http://www.amazon.com/Protect-Your-P...9223648&sr=8-1
which also discusses BARF.

Should you by any chance understand German, I'd recommend this book: http://www.amazon.de/Katzen-w%C3%BCr.../dp/3552060499
Now the second book is of interest ...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Now the second book is of interest ...
Maybe I'd better warn you that she's not an advocate of BARF or dry food, and her arguments against them are pretty convincing. She does have a lot of recipes for homemade dog and cat food, though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Maybe I'd better warn you that she's not an advocate of BARF or dry food, and her arguments against them are pretty convincing. She does have a lot of recipes for homemade dog and cat food, though.
I know ... right now I am looking for all the homemade recipes I can get.. currently no raw kids but one doing very well on my homemade