I love the smell of burning cat fur in the morning...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Why am I surprised it's Loki?

I was just at the kitchen counter, baking cookies. I've had a small candle burning on the counter, beside me. Loki, whom I didn't know was in the room, suddenly jumped up. I tried to move him off the counter, especially due to the candle. He decided to move sideways--against the burning candle! He burned about a 3" circle of fur, before I could move him (he's rather heavy, and believe me, I was trying). And he never made a peep! The poor thing actually had a bit of flame on his fur (saw it when I had him in my arms to move him). He then ran, and hid. I managed to get him, and he's o.k., thankfully. In fact, the goof is right here, rolling contentedly on the rug beside me. What a nut...

Wow, the house smells AWFUL.

Loki, voted the Cat Most Likely to Do Himself Harm.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad that he is ok!!

That's why while I do have candles in the house for emergency blackouts, I don't burn them at any other time. I'm too afraid of my kitties getting burned, or the candle getting knocked over and causing a fire.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that he is ok, but that is by far the funniest thing I have read in a while
DH came from the other room to find out what is so funny!!
it sounds like something my Pooka would do!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nothing smells quite as bad as burning cat fur....except possible human fur (or hair, whatever you want to call it
) All of mine leave the candles alone, except Perseus, who is determined to put that darn flame out!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my Maggie must be related to Loki. When she was a kitten she repeatedly singed her whiskers. So like any good meowmy, I just gave up on burning candles. Now that she is 2, I figured it would be less of a concern. So I lit a candle on Saturday & all went well. So I lit it again last night, went to the bathroom. Came back to find the princess Maggie leaning in over the cadle. Well, I guess I can only burn candels if I know I'm not even going to leave the room for 30 seconds.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I burned my last candle sometime around Christmas 2000. Cleo tried to set her face whiskers on fire by sniffing the burning candle, which was setting on the stove top. Unfortunately, you can't teach a cat how to "Stop, Drop & Roll", so I just opted out of the candle burning scene.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love to light a fire in the fireplace and light a few candles to relax after work until I had a cat fire. They ran across the cofeetable, somthing they never did before, and singed their tails. They were not hurt, but I was so scared, I never use anything but candles in a jar now. I would have been so upset if I had hurt one of my babies. No harm done, and I like candles in a jar better anyway.