Recommend food for kitten

jocee82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 week old kitten. What type and kind of food do you suggest?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Royal Canin for dry. And I use a variety of canned foods for wet - mainly Max Cat, Iams, Natural Choice and a little Friskies.

You should feed both wet and dry and give them variety of beef, chicken, lamb, turkey with very little fish flavors.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can mostly wet ... if you dont know how to search on here Private message me ( scroll and click on my name and click the send pm and I will walk you through it

dry food : where are you shopping???

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had always heard that dry food was better for their teeth. I have had all three of mine on dry only--Am I denying them something they need?
I had always heard that dry only was better?? By the way: I am certainly not contesting what the other posters have replied--just seeking further info for my babies.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vets are changing or have changed their thinking on the dry versus wet food. Wet food helps kitties get more water and there are fewer cereal fillers in many of the wet foods.

Every cat is completely different and has different preferences. My kitten really likes the Nutro Max kitten food and the Pet Promise all stage cat food. And she has horned in on the all stage Avo derm wet of the adults.

However, she doesn't want the Purina pro-plan kitten or the Friskies kitten at all. And she doesn't want any of the dry.

The only advantage for the dry is that you can make it available for a meal when you're away without it spoiling. I look for foods that have the first ingredients to be meat. Chicken, liver, chicken broth, etc.

That said, my adult cats like stuff with chicken meal and seem to hate anything that is premium and supposed to be good for them.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitten the Nutro Natural Indoor Kitten Dry and all sorts of wet food. Her favorite wet food is Nutro Max Gourmet Pouch in Chicken/Tomato for Kittens. I also buy her the Nutro Natural pouches but she doesn't seem to like them as much. She eats Wellness Kitten canned also. (I feed dry in the morning and wet at night). I personally think that all-wet diets are the best but I can't afford to feed my cats all-wet, so they get dry in the morning.

Stick to one consistent dry food formulated for kittens and vary the wet foods so she will hopefully growup to be a less picky eater. I personally avoid grocery store brands (9 Lives, Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc.)

Nutro is available at PetSmart & Petco and also probably smaller non-chain pet stores.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin babycat
get a small bag, she'll outgrow it pretty fast! I'm a big fan of purina canned foods, and royal canin in general. I've heard good things about Felidae, but it gave my current cats diarrhea.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

Royal Canin babycat
get a small bag, she'll outgrow it pretty fast! I'm a big fan of purina canned foods, and royal canin in general. I've heard good things about Felidae, but it gave my current cats diarrhea.
Felidae looks like it should be ravaged by cats. My cats will not touch it. It was disappointing.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeding all dry food may lead to kidney problems later in the cats life because of lack of moisture in kitty's daily diet. The dry should be used only to supplement the wet food.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten is almost 12 weeks old and I feed her a variety of wet and dry.

For wet, she eats mostly Merricks, Wellness, Felidae, Eagle Pack Holistic, California Natural, Natural Balance, Nutro Complete Kitten Care/Gourmet Classics, Pet Promise, Newman's Own and I am also introducing her to Avoderm.

For dry, a combination of Wellness Kitten Health and Royal Canin Babycat 34.

randis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i mix Royal canin dry food with a bit of wet food and thick Milk formula or chicken essence. They will lick the plate clean.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding Nutro's kitten dry food and want to switch to
Nutro's Max kitten dry food...do you need to make the switch
slowly or is it okay to just start using it? Is it that big of a 'change'?

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be a good idea to switch them slowly. The Max is pretty different. It has wheat and lamb in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

Is the Max any better than the regular? I just read that
it is tastier....
Better IMHO in some cases yes... see I have a wheat allergy cat so she doesnt get max... Max is loosing the lamb and going to chn meal with chn

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

I had always heard that dry food was better for their teeth. I have had all three of mine on dry only--Am I denying them something they need?
I had always heard that dry only was better?? By the way: I am certainly not contesting what the other posters have replied--just seeking further info for my babies.
This article tells you why dry food really isn't better for their teeth: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...dcleantheteeth

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Her favorite wet food is Nutro Max Gourmet Pouch in Chicken/Tomato for Kittens.
Kit LOVES this. I was giving it to him pretty regularly, but then I read something about tomatoes being bad for cats, so I stopped. Does anybody know if this is true?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaete

Kit LOVES this. I was giving it to him pretty regularly, but then I read something about tomatoes being bad for cats, so I stopped. Does anybody know if this is true?
the greens are ... but like you and I the stems usually are the first to go

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the greens are ... but like you and I the stems usually are the first to go
That's my understanding, too. Didn't we have a link here recently that stated that, among other things? Something about what's safe to feed, and what's not?