Is your directv dish on your roof,how long, any leaks?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the standard dish on the side of the house, upgraded to HD, and they bring out this monster that won't work well on the side of the house. (Long, tick me off story, rant
)

anyhoo, they will be back to correct the misadjustment done when replacing the standard dish, and then we will discuss where this monstrosity will go.

What do you think of the idea of waiting, because surely in a year they should have a lighter weight one that I can use on the side? right?

I hate the idea of putting holes in the roof. That is just insane to me.

How is your roof?

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually your roof is full of holes from nailing the plywood, tar paper and shingles down. Its the shingles and the way they are layed that keep it from leaking. JUst ask Direct TV to caulk the screw heads or make your you guys do it afterwards and you should be good.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for Directv and that sounds like just plain shabby work to me. The biggest dish they should install is 36 inches, and it is for international programming. They are making upgrades for the new FCC rules about to be put into place, but the dishes should still not be huge. The standard dish is 18 inches across. They should caulk any holes that may possibly create a problem, but I have been there for over a year and have never taken a call about a leaky roof. When you call, make sure you have bill, it will have all the info they need to look up your account and will make things go much more smoothly. I hate to sound mean, but it you do not get someone that speaks good English, hang up and try until you get someone that does. They will be reading from a script and have no idea how to help you. They will transfer you all over the place until you luck up. My book with all my numbers in it is at work, but if you want to do this today, call 1-800-531-5000 and ask to speak to the customer installation service, or the customer retention group. If those do not help, I will ask my supervisor how he would go about it.

jessiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, krazy kat2, I work for DIRECTV too! I worked in Customer Installation Support about 4 years ago but do you think I can remember the number? Uh-huh

gailuvscats, what krazy kat2 said sounds about right. FYI, in October I had the 5-LNB dish installed for the HD channels and it is not too cumbersome. Ours was installed on the side of the house under the eaves and works great and its out of the way. The original HD dishes were huge and very heavy but there is a slim line dish now that is lighter. If yours is put on the roof caulking is key. When we originally had our dish installed it was on our roof and we had no problem with leaking.

Anyway, I hope all goes well when the tech comes back out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my BIL's just upgraded his dish to HD (original was not mounted on roof), but I don't know where his new one is located on his house.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Direct TV HD in May so it was through the rainy season and no leaks or any trouble with ours and its pretty big I will try to get a pic if it for you tomorrow...if ya want

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I had the standard dish on the side of the house, upgraded to HD, and they bring out this monster that won't work well on the side of the house. (Long, tick me off story, rant
)

anyhoo, they will be back to correct the misadjustment done when replacing the standard dish, and then we will discuss where this monstrosity will go.

What do you think of the idea of waiting, because surely in a year they should have a lighter weight one that I can use on the side? right?

I hate the idea of putting holes in the roof. That is just insane to me.

How is your roof?
Who was the monster? I had a 400 pound monster that I saw heading up into the attic and I could see there was going to be trouble. Sure enough, he stepped where he was not supposed to and came crashing through the ceiling. We had the damage fixed right away because Winter even in Texas is cold and are trying to get our money back for repairs. I had the wits about me to grab my camera and take photos of the monster laying on the floor with the rubble about him and take photos of the ceiling. I had to sign a release form that I would not sue them to get reimbursed and I have been warned that may well take months.