Need an opinion please - horse related

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As most of you know, I rescued a 7 year old Appaloosa gelding back in September. He wasn't being fed, and had never really been worked with. I've got him back up to weight now and have started his training. I love him a lot, but I'm itching to get in the saddle and we've been having a lot of setbacks in his training. They're minor setbacks though.

But today I was offered a trade. There is a lady who has a registered BLM Mustang and she really would like to have Levi. The Mustang is 8 years old, and is a bit more advanced in his training and handling than Levi is. A lot of things that Levi is having trouble with, this other horse is doing great in. He's a horse that I could get on and start riding almost right away.

I feel bad, because I do love Levi a lot, but this other horse seems more suited to me and what I'm looking for. Levi wasn't exactly my dream horse, but he needed me and I'm so glad I saved him.

I hope this doesn't make me seem like a bad person! I'd really like an opinion from you all before I make my final decision.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will this lady be able to get Levi "up to par"?
Will she vet him, feed him, care for him, & love him?

If Levi isn't suited well at your place, & would be better off with her.....then it might be in his best interest. Just be sure this lady would take excellent care of him & continue his training.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel bad about trading....but you should make sure the mustang is right for you. You will have to always remember that the "mustang" can always re-emerge at any time. But for me, that would make the trade more exciting!
I would love to adopt a BLM mustang!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have talked to her a few times today and it really would be a great home for him. Her horses are extremely well cared for and she will be able to give him all the training he needs for his issues that he has. I absolutely wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't going to be a good home.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know nothing about horses except they're pretty & I love to ride.
So I can't offer much more advice....but if the Mustang is a good fit for you & Levi a good fit for her, then it might not be a bad idea.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if the change would be good for Levi and that is what is important. I am considering selling my little Tiffin to a girl who trains riding ponies, not because I want to lose him - it would be devastating, but she is much more qualified than me and when he gets bigger he will need to be kept fully occupied. And the mustang would be good for you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the lady willing to work with Levi and get him trained? Why does she want to trade?

If she's willing to work on Levi and this other one is better suited to you, then trade. Would it be a case of after Levi is trained you'd take him back or would she keep him?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Is the lady willing to work with Levi and get him trained? Why does she want to trade?

If she's willing to work on Levi and this other one is better suited to you, then trade. Would it be a case of after Levi is trained you'd take him back or would she keep him?
I think she wants to trade because she's ready to work with a different horse. She will definitely work with him and get him trained, but he would stay with her and the Mustang would stay with me.

I just think that she can help Levi with some of his issues more than I can. I'm experienced in horse training but even with my experience there are some things that I just can't help Levi with because of his personality. I'm not used to the breed and his personality type, I'm used to very spirited Arabians. The Mustang needs very little to finish him and make him a great riding horse and it sounds like his temperament will be much more like the Arabs that I'm used to.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it sounds like a win-win situation for both of you - go for it. BTW can you post some new pictures of Levi - you posted them when you first got him and I'd love to see the improvement

And post pics of the Mustang too

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are newer pictures of Levi... excuse the mud, it's been muddy for about 2 months straight now and it's impossible to keep a white horse clean!

And here is a picture of the Mustang. His current name is Jake AKA Legend. Of course, if we do the trade, I'll post new pictures of him right away!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ow wow - you've done a great job with Levi - he looks so much better

I love both of them, but am kinda partial to the bays - that was my horse's color and one of my favs.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you really want the mustang, and the other home can care for him the way he needs to be cared for, then I agree with everyone else; go for it. =) And don't feel bad. Not every animals and every human are going to be perfect for each other, and if he really isn't -the- horse for you, then he's going to pick up on that, and maybe not do as well.

That mustang is goooooorgeous~!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, just got an email from the woman and she will be here with the Mustang this weekend!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you gone out and met the mustang yet??? Rode him yet??? Horses really have their own personalities and sometimes one horse is just plain a better fit than another horse. My sister's horse and I have a lot of arguements and just plain don't fit personality wise. I'm very strong willed and so is she!!!
I can ride her just fine, work her just fine, but you can tell she likes my sister so much more and rides SOOO much better for her too.

Some horse people will let you take the horse for a week or two and see how you click. You could then have more time to spend with him and ride him on your home turf.

The other side.... Levi should REALLY bond to you and be a great horse IF he has a good head on his shoulders. Bonnet was much like Levi when I got her (200lbs underweight). Her and I bonded amazingly, but she doesn't have a great head on her. She was abused and is very spooky and high strung. I would never give her away because we are so close, but if I did I would NEVER let her go to a child or an inexperienced ridder. Some horses just stay high strung and are a bit much for a newer rider to deal with.

What does he do that's hard to deal with by the way??

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like you're getting the Stang!!!!
I hope you two work out and bond well!!!!

I have to admit..... Whenever someone I know wants a horse they always come to me to ride them and see what they are like (I've been bucked off of three horses doing that
)
But I don't mind it, I think it's fun and I can say "You have to get her, she's be awesome!" or "Well, I don't think you want that one!" *picking myself up*

One of those times I went out to ride an Appy.....I didn't like her AT ALL! She was a bit snudy, pushy, and, lets say, "independant". (Sorry if anyone has an appy!)

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like it may not work out after all. I should have known, every time I get excited about something I get disappointed. The lady sent an email and asked if we'd pay half of the gas money for her to come up. I personally think it's fair but John does not... he won't pay it if its more than a few dollars. I emailed her back and asked how much she thinks it will be but haven't heard back from her. Oh well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't count it out yet. What's John willing to go for gas milage? Or maybe Levi is just meant to stay - let us know how things go.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't count it out yet. What's John willing to go for gas milage? Or maybe Levi is just meant to stay - let us know how things go.
I'll keep you all updated. I asked the woman to tell me what she thinks it will be so that I can discuss it with John... I told her he's the one that will be paying for it and may not be thrilled so I'd have to try and talk him in to it. I don't know why, but I just don't expect her to even email back.

I don't think John will want to give her more than $5 or $10 which won't even begin to cover it. She'd be driving 2 1/2 hours with a diesel truck.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That kind of trip and the truck - $10 will NOT cover it. Would be closer to offering her about $50 to come that far - maybe $75. Do you all have a trailer that you could meet up half way and exchange the horses? Is John willing to do that?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That kind of trip and the truck - $10 will NOT cover it. Would be closer to offering her about $50 to come that far - maybe $75. Do you all have a trailer that you could meet up half way and exchange the horses? Is John willing to do that?
If we had a trailer, we'd do the whole trip ourselves cause John likes to go on road trips.
Well, we DO have a trailer but it came from Budweiser Clydesdales and is a HUGE horse hauler... requires a semi truck to haul it, so that's out of the question.