9 Lives?

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are people's opinions on 9 Lives wet tuna food?

Someone told me that it's kitty junk food, but the first ingrediant is tuna and it actually has less fat (2%) than the Nutro or Science Diet wet I've been feeding them (they're eating one meal a day of wet now to help lose weight....).
Plus, 9 Lives is cheaper, so I'd like to keep serving it unless it's really bad for them.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://wwwrdr.9lives.com/Default.asp...dentreedinners

Is it that one?

Anything with 'water sufficient for processing' in it grosses me out, but I also think that any wet food is better than no wet food at all. Tuna is the first ingredient, which is good.

I think that feeding mostly fish flavored foods can make some cats more prone to UTI issues, not sure though.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not knowledgeable enough to assess the quality (I don't really hear good things about it), but my kitty (back when I was a kid) ate 9 lives and lived 17 healthy years. It wasn't harmful to her (I don't recall the flavors she ate; if there were multiple flavors, she probably rotated among all of them)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a general rule of thumb, I don't much like 9 Lives because it is generally low quality. I'll let someone else chime in here....I just don't like 9 Lives as a whole.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

As a general rule of thumb, I don't much like 9 Lives because it is generally low quality. I'll let someone else chime in here....I just don't like 9 Lives as a whole.
Yeah, that's kind of my impression of the whole brand as well. I cringe when I see people buying it at the grocery store.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't matter which brand it is, I will NOT feed my cats a steady diet of tuna! Many cats will get hooked on it and refuse to eat other foods. I only feed a fish food about once a week or once every two weeks.

Just cause its cheaper doesn't mean its healthy or wise. I really don't like 9-lives foods to start with - there are better foods out there (dry and canned). Start limiting them to one can of tuna every 2 weeks and vary the other canned foods (beef, chicken, lamb) much more often. You will have a healthier cat in the long run.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still use the tuna 9-lives. One thing that I started having problems with was that all my cats were throwing up after eating wet. My 5 are free feed dry round the clock and wet once a day (spilting half a can between them all) at night. One good thing about 9-lives is they were one of the few that were NOT recalled. So on a business thought they seem to be thinking of what they put in the food.....or just got very lucky.

Fluffee

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I beleive 9 lives tuna is one of the few without chemical preservatives and by products.. thus I would possibley put it in a rotation but NOT a steady diet .... as for the recall it was made by a different company not Menu manufacturing it