Major depression due to house fire.

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help. I have 4 cats and yesterday my apartment complex was detroyed by fire. The cats all escaped, however two of them, Pooka and Cricketa were trapped in the burning building for 2 hours. They didnt suffer any lung damage or burns, but one of them, Pooka is severly depressed and anxious. We have had to move in with my parents and their 14 cats and she hasnt eaten or drank that I can see since we arrived. She is depressed.
I forcefed her electrolytes today and gave her some rescue remedy but I am really afraid for her. She is a very sensitive little girl and the fire and change in living arrangments must have traumatized her. I have no choice though, I have nowhere else to go. We have to stay here and short of locking her in the bathroom their is no suitable place where we can put her away from the other cats. Please help, any advice would be very helpful. Herbal remedys, things we can do for her....anything. Please, I am at my wits end. I love her dearly, and this experience has been so traumatizing to me and her. Climbing out a second story window barefoot in a NH winter was horrifying. Please please help us.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jezah

Please help. I have 4 cats and yesterday my apartment complex was detroyed by fire. The cats all escaped, however two of them, Pooka and Cricketa were trapped in the burning building for 2 hours. They didnt suffer any lung damage or burns, but one of them, Pooka is severly depressed and anxious. We have had to move in with my parents and their 14 cats and she hasnt eaten or drank that I can see since we arrived. She is depressed.
I forcefed her electrolytes today and gave her some rescue remedy but I am really afraid for her. She is a very sensitive little girl and the fire and change in living arrangments must have traumatized her. I have no choice though, I have nowhere else to go. We have to stay here and short of locking her in the bathroom their is no suitable place where we can put her away from the other cats. Please help, any advice would be very helpful. Herbal remedys, things we can do for her....anything. Please, I am at my wits end. I love her dearly, and this experience has been so traumatizing to me and her. Climbing out a second story window barefoot in a NH winter was horrifying. Please please help us.
I would try Rescue Remedy, or Feliway for a start. I hope you guys are ok!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, bless your heart! What a horrible thing to go through!
Has she been seen by a vet? Could it be possble that she panicked and injured herself while awaiting rescue? It may be a good idea to take her to an emergency vet...if only for observation. Many and prayers being sent your way.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's any way at all you can keep her somewhere alone for a little while, even a bathroom or something, just for a day or two at least, so she can recover somewhat - and don't fuss her anymore trying to get her to pop back - she needs time and quiet, and to feel safe, but not if a bunch of strange cats are all over, and you're trying to 'make' her be normal so fast. Just relax - she's probably picking up on your anxiety too and that can make a big difference.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

If there's any way at all you can keep her somewhere alone for a little while, even a bathroom or something, just for a day or two at least, so she can recover somewhat - and don't fuss her anymore trying to get her to pop back - she needs time and quiet, and to feel safe, but not if a bunch of strange cats are all over, and you're trying to 'make' her be normal so fast. Just relax - she's probably picking up on your anxiety too and that can make a big difference.
I have to completely agree with Larke, she feels desperate and unsafe. If there is any way you can separate her, it would be the best for the time being. She was trapped in a burning home, lost that, and now is surrounded by a pack of cats after a devastating experience. She really needs to feel safe. If there is any way you can have a room to you and your cats, that would be the best thing......

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that a quite room for Pooka may the be best thing. At any rate just keep assuring her that it will all be ok. and try to be as calm yourself as possible.
for you to feel better, and prayers for your baby to feel better as well

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's in shock, and it's good of you to be so attentive. However, I think with time and some TLC, she will come around again.

So sorry you had to go thru that, but so happy everyone is safe!!!!!!

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you went through that!

Maybe give her the option of the bathroom, at least. Set up a nice bed or nest of towels, and sit in there with her. If she wants out, let her out, but it might help her to know there's a spot she can go to that's hers. As people said, she's probably still in shock, and may be for a while.

So glad you're all okay!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I'm so sorry for your tragedy with the fire. Thank God you and the cats are alive!

Is there any way you can keep the cats in your room till you can find another apartment? They need peace and quiet and all the commotion isn't good for any of you. I'd have a vet take another look at the little one - to be sure everything really is ok.

I pray that you will have a new place soon to live and things can slowly get back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou all so much for the vibes and suggestions. I dont have a "room" to speak of, I am living in the basement as my parents only have two rooms with doors and they are their bedroom and the den(to much traffic). All the other doors have cat flaps and are used for their cats.

My mom put up a curtain in the entrance to one half of the basement(its finished)and that seemed to help. I also was able to go back to the apartment and salvage her old cat bed, washed it and now she sleeps in it. That and cuddling her in a big comforter on the couch whenever I get a moment seems to have helped. As well, the "cover your head and hope for the best" tactic she has adapted seems to work for her, she hides under the covers of my moms bed all day. Just a little kitty lump under the covers. She is eating again and last night she even slept in the bed with me like she used to. Its taking time, but she is adjusting. Next thing to tackle is how to seperate her food from the other 14 cats(she has wheat allergies and cant eat the regular cat food my mom feeds). Wish me luck.

Heres the lil' one

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is a cutie, I am glad you could get her old bed, I don't blame her for hiding, she has gone through a lot. extra snuggles are definately in order

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that Pooka is feeling better. Your post brought back sad feelings for me because I too experienced a house fire. Unfortunately I lost several furry friends. I am very happy to hear that you did not have to endure that loss.
and to you and your cats. It's an awful thing to have to go through and I hope you are able to get back on your own soon.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Gray tabby! And that little pink nose--gorgeous! Tell her I said she's beautiful.