I really hate renting!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year (2006) I had problems with partying drug dealers living across the hall from me. After months and months of complaining to the agence they were evicted.

The apartment was vacant for a month before new people moved in. Aside from them leaving their trach bags in the hallway (which the caretaker spoke to them about and rectified), they were very quiet.

The agency has been jacking up the rent way beyond the rental guidelines for inflation which is usually between 1 and 3 percent. Our annual rent increases for the last 4 or 5 years has been between 10 and 12 percent. At the end of September 2003 my rent was $478/mth. Now it's $719/mth to give you an idea of the price increases.

As a consequence of the high increases people are coming and going from the apartments around me every year!

This past October a family with kids moved in
For the most part the kids are quiet in the hallway. Occasionally they run and yell as they are coming or going from the apartment, but while annoying it isn't prolonged.

However, on Friday I was so disgusted that I actually wrote a letter to the agency about them.

I was taking out my garbage. The hallway smelled terrible. Like someone had diarrhea. I thought maybe it was my cat litter! I went and smelled it and it was fine ... having just changed it the day before. I then noticed a white bag in the hallway against the wall about 2 feet from the apartment door across the hall.

I thought maybe someone dropped it on the way to their apartment so I picked it up to see what it was so I could return it. I nearly passed out from the smell when I picked it up!
It was a bag of poopy disposable diapers

Now I can appreciate them not wanting to stink up their apartment, but the hallway isn't a back alley and is not a place to dump your trash.

I took the bag out with me as I was taking my trash out anyway. But I faxed a letter to the agency telling them about it and I let the caretaker know about it today. Apparently she said that she had caught them one other time leaving their trash in the hallway and talked to them about it. And she said that she caught them leaving it in the stairwell once after that. But it seems that it didn't do any good. Maybe a formal letter of warning from the agency will make them stop.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel ya. It's like tho you "live" there nothing is truly yours. Can't paint have to watch the nail holes...... Our new people living above and across from us run up and down the stairs like a heard of elephants and our immediate neighbors are constantly screaming at one another. They have a small child as well and we can here the kid crying during these moments. I can't wait till this lease is up. I already told SO no more renting and definitely no more roommates.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to leave my last place because I'm pretty sure my landlord would peek into the bedroom window.... I'd GLADLY take noisey neighbors after that one!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Apparently she said that she had caught them one other time leaving their trash in the hallway and talked to them about it. And she said that she caught them leaving it in the stairwell once after that. But it seems that it didn't do any good. Maybe a formal letter of warning from the agency will make them stop.
How about the caretaker use the master key and shove that bag back into their apartment with a note so they will learn! Kind of like how you shove a dog's face near his poo when he goes inside to ward him of pooping in the house, same principal.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason I seem to think that a rental place is not supposed to raise the rent on you if you've been living there with a previous rent payment. I would really look into the legal stuff about this!

I really hate renting too! I was in an apartment for two years and couldn't stand either place. The first one was a college apartment and the second one was a regular apartment, but there were still the parties and most likely drugs. I'm renting a house now and it's SOOOO much better! However, when we find a house we want we're moving out!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww that is just soooo gross. I'd put it right in front of their door and knock/ring the bell and tell them to PLEASE dispose of their trash the proper way and not sit it in the hallway expecting it to vanish!

Or if you know which car is theirs take it to the car and tie it to the door handle!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats so awful! We live in an apartment building too & I'm so glad I don't have neighbors like that!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start piling my trash on top of theirs...even print a sign saying "Trash" on their door

If they ask, just play stupid as say "well you leave your trash here, so I assumed it was a new complex policy."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I would start piling my trash on top of theirs...even print a sign saying "Trash" on their door

If they ask, just play stupid as say "well you leave your trash here, so I assumed it was a new complex policy."
LMAO! That's hysterical!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

I had to leave my last place because I'm pretty sure my landlord would peek into the bedroom window.... I'd GLADLY take noisey neighbors after that one!
I hate wearing clothing so am a nudist when I'm at home. I live on the river bank facing the river and there are other high rise apartments across the river from me.

I have vinyl verticle blinds that I keep open about 2 feet at one end so that I can open a window without the breeze blowing the slats all over the place. My computer desk is in direct line with that uncovered portion of the window.

It's possible that there are people in those buildings with a telescope or binoculars watching. I couldn't care less. I figure if they have nothing better to do than look at a naked fat woman sitting at her computer, then their life is more pathetic than mine!

In fact periodically I look towards the window, smile and wave!

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's hilarious! Wish I had that sort of confidence. But I totally know what you mean, it's a lot more comfy walking around in your underwear than in jeans or something...

I've never rented an apartment... Where I live not many people do, unless you live right in the city. I live 5 minutes away from the city and rent a house, but am moving soon to a flat. The thing that annoys me the most about it is that I can't foster kittens like I'd like to, and I can't have a big dog, even though I can provide it with enough exercise etc... Just because landlords don't trust pet owners. I'm living not very glamourously at the moment, because I'm putting aside most of my income towards a deposit on a little house so I can live the way I want to! It's just really difficult to afford everything when you're still studying like I am...

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i hated renting houses. When i lived in stillwater at college the first apt i was shown when looking was a tiny little room, they wanted 550 a month for it. I sware it was so tiny and dirty, It came "fully furnished". As you walked into the door, either stepped in sideways and steped onto a twin matress on the floor or you leaned in and pushed the matress up against the wall behind the door, this was the bed. The kitchen stove was against the foot of the bed, if you were to cook you basically had to stand on the end of it. There was no kitchen sink, just a tiny apt refrigerator shoved between the stove and the wall. The bathroom had a toilet and a bathtub, which was for bathing, hand washing, dishes and laundry. There wasnt even a bathroom sink. There were no windows and no door lock. The reason it was "fully furnished" i guess is becuse there is no way you could have gotten much more then a handfull of clothing and maybe some bedding in it. The rest of what i was shown wasnt much better. One place scared me so bad i refused to take more then one step inside. It was above a furnature store, so you had to climb a rickety metal staircase on the backside of the building from the ally. The roaches were everywhere and could have nearly swallowed a poodle. I finally lucked out and ended up paying 650 for a one bedroom all the way across town. Now rent has almost doubled. Last time i checked around for an apt the cheapest rent was going about 600 for a studio apt and about 700 for the smallest one bedroom. And most landlords are so picky, NO PETS, NO CHILDREN ALLOWED. I wouldnt rent again if i had to.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EEEK! I too live in a complex...glad we don't have neighbors like that!

Glad you brought it to their attention!

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is awful!! I'm sorry that you have bad neighbors. You might want to look into speaking with a Real estate agent in your area. I know that where I live for $700 a month you could be making a mortgage payment and owning a house. The Real estate agent can tell you what you would be able to afford in your price range. IMO it is always better if you can be paying towards owning something instead of throwing away the money on rent. Even though we have rented 2 out of the 4 years we have been married.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I hate wearing clothing so am a nudist when I'm at home. I live on the river bank facing the river and there are other high rise apartments across the river from me.

I have vinyl verticle blinds that I keep open about 2 feet at one end so that I can open a window without the breeze blowing the slats all over the place. My computer desk is in direct line with that uncovered portion of the window.

It's possible that there are people in those buildings with a telescope or binoculars watching. I couldn't care less. I figure if they have nothing better to do than look at a naked fat woman sitting at her computer, then their life is more pathetic than mine!

I can't be a nudist at home--it's too cold, and my cats would laugh at me!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awesome! Another home nudist!
Despite being surrounded by houses and apartments, I hold no shame when I run downstairs in the morning after my shower to find under garments and clothes.

I look at it as I'm giving them a show they really need or they have all seen the same stuff before

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

That is awful!! I'm sorry that you have bad neighbors. You might want to look into speaking with a Real estate agent in your area. I know that where I live for $700 a month you could be making a mortgage payment and owning a house. The Real estate agent can tell you what you would be able to afford in your price range. IMO it is always better if you can be paying towards owning something instead of throwing away the money on rent. Even though we have rented 2 out of the 4 years we have been married.
Great points, and I'd like to add: in the U.S., at least, you get a decent tax break on your Federal taxes, when you claim your mortgage interest and school/property taxes. (Being the cheap soul I am, I still have my share of our joint tax refund from last year! However, I'm probably going to put it toward new kitchen cabinets soon.) I believe the Feds are trying to change this law to getting a break on your entire mortgage payment, all inclusive, but I haven't heard anything for awhile.

Downside: home maintenance, unless you live in a townhouse or condo (and, even with some townhouses, you still have to mow your own lawn). Also, home repairs can be costly, and there's no landlord to do it.

Natalie, since you've been off work for awhile (I'm correct???), you may have trouble getting mortgage approval right now, but you may want to think about buying in the future, when things get back to normal for you moneywise. Also, though it's not as bad as everyone said when I wanted to buy a house years ago, you can't go into house-buying with just enough money for a tiny downpayment and being able to make the mortgage payments--you need a money cushion for emergencies, like when the heater dies on you (we had this last year), etc. Also, our mortgage company, each year, claims they need to raise our montlhy payment to cover escrow deficiencies (with the property taxes). Even though you can claim this on your (Federal) taxes, you still have to be able to float that extra $20-40 (in our case) each month, or make a 1-time annual payment of the amount in a lump sum (would've been $350 this year, had I done this).

Even though I'd recommend homeownership to most people, not everyone should be a homeowner--some people just don't want the responsibilty (travel a lot, physically disabled, etc.). It's a big, but usually worthwhile, committment.

I hope your apartment situation gets resolved FAST. A hallway is a public area, so tenants shouldn't do or leave anything there that doesn't belong there. When I lived in an apartment, we lucked out--we all had private entrances, and it was great. I only had to deal with the 2 roomies above me fighting at 5PM every night. I used to dread hearing the 1 girl's footsteps on the stairs, as I knew, within 5 minutes, the arguing would begin...one night, I had company. Those 2 were arguing above me ("You want your ****ing ice cream? I'll give you your ****ing ice cream!", and the Indian couple on the other side, no transalation, but the woman was really reaming him out in Hindi or another dialect! Quite embarrassing!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I had some disgusting situations when I rented.

You know, now is the time to buy a house. The narket is soft, you can get a good deal, and if you are a first time home buyer, you get a break too!

I am so happy I own my own house, not that it doesn't have problems, but at least you have some control.

I have a little house, with a small aprtment upstairs. Fortunately, the woman upstairs is quiet, and pays her rent on time. I would prefer she be more tidy, but quiet and rent qualifies as a good tenant in my book.

I get to write off a ton of stuff on my taxes. If you can do it, you should.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't wait to buy a house. Since I just enrolled in school it's 2 1/2 years out. But we can see the end. The place we're renting now is a craphole. It was filthy on move in, and we aren't sticking around this spring to see how bad the summer bugs are (right now there are wasps in one window, and moths and lady beetles coming from who knows where).

Our last apartment wasn't bad, but it wasn't super fine living either. We had one neighbor in that complex that would hoard garbage. The hallway smelled so bad. So we complained. Next thing we know, they are putting trash bags on their balcony!
We called again because the wasps coming around were terrible. Thank goodness that idiot moved out.

I hear ya on neighbors coming and going all the time. If landlords didn't jack up rent ridiculously maybe poeple would stay longer. My sister had a $100+ rent increase last year. While our old landlord only increased ours by $25. We moved because Mike had a job transfer, otherwise we'd still be in our old, much nicer than this, apartment.