Need to do something about her tail

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
When we got Carly, we found that she has no control over her tail. It just swings behind her and she has no feeling in it but it does have good blood flow. The vet did take x-rays at her first visit and it looks like she had some sort of trauma in her early years with a healed fracture in her back leg. I'm not sure why they didn't amputate the tail at the time.

Now I'm dealing with a couple of problems with her. One is that she pees over the edge of the litter box because she need to support her tail. The second is that when she has soft stools, she ends up with a mess back there and ends up needed a butt bath.

I'm seriously thinking that maybe it is time to amputate her tail as I can't see it having any sort of advantage for her. But I can't quite make the decision. The idea bothers me for some reason (even though our other cat, Much, is a Manx with a stub). Any thoughts?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean the tail just hangs? Can she lift it at all? Is it like its broken? I'm not sure about the amputation - I can understand why you might want to do it - maybe talk to several vets and see what's the best course of action.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I understand, her tail isn't serving it's intended purpose and is causing her some problems so I don't think you should feel bad about having it amputated. She may be happier with it out of her way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Do you mean the tail just hangs? Can she lift it at all? Is it like its broken? I'm not sure about the amputation - I can understand why you might want to do it - maybe talk to several vets and see what's the best course of action.
That is it exactly. It just hangs. She has no control over it at all. And no feeling. We've stepped on it a couple of times and she did nothing.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat at the rescue I volunteer at that has no control, feeling or movement over her tail. Unfortunately she also has little control over her ability to go to the bathroom. Any slight pressure to her bladder area and she will go. She also cannot be too far from the litterbox at all times. She needs her tail amputated and will probably have to wear a diaper or something.