Cat tree suggestions?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm considering this one: https://www.spoilmykitty.com/cart.ph...ct_detail&p=50

Any feedback on this model, or on the manufacturer or seller?

None of my cats are very hyper - all 4 are senior kittizens. They vary in size from 6 to 15 pounds. Would they all be able to fit into the condos and beds on this tree, or would only the smaller cats fit? Would the tree be strong enough to support the 15-pound cat?

Has anyone tried multiple trees and found some styles to be hits and others misses? Which features were appreciated, and which were ignored? Which features are most popular with the senior cats?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I'm considering this one: https://www.spoilmykitty.com/cart.ph...ct_detail&p=50

Any feedback on this model, or on the manufacturer or seller?

None of my cats are very hyper - all 4 are senior kittizens. They vary in size from 6 to 15 pounds. Would they all be able to fit into the condos and beds on this tree, or would only the smaller cats fit? Would the tree be strong enough to support the 15-pound cat?

Has anyone tried multiple trees and found some styles to be hits and others misses? Which features were appreciated, and which were ignored? Which features are most popular with the senior cats?
I've always had floor to ceiling trees for my cats and they really love them. My immediate reaction to the one you are considering is that the price is awfully low for a tree of that size. I never believe the "sale" price since on some sites they always claim their trees are "on sale". I suspect it is not well constructed and, believe me, some of them aren't. The platforms look small for a 15 lb cat.

I'm not sure what features would appeal more to senior cats except that some trees have ramps to allow easier access for seniors who have trouble climbing.

If you want high quality trees go to www.drsfostersmith.com. They cost more but they are well constructed.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i so want a tree for our kitten and as we were looking at the trees on that site we just decided that yep i think we want another addition to our furfamily

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never bought a cat tree but I've looked and the price of the one you posted is suspiciously low.

I love the Trendy Cat towers, they aren't like a traditional tower though. I can't wait to have enough $ to buy one, my cats would love having tall places to sleep on.

Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

i so want a tree for our kitten and as we were looking at the trees on that site we just decided that yep i think we want another addition to our furfamily
not to completely hijack the thread but yay! Get another kitten so your kitten has a buddy to play with.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That cat tree is also made with "faux fur". I'm not positive, but I don't think cat's can really grab into it like they would with a carpeted or natural soft wood tree. I've been looking to buy a tall tree for my two, and have noticed that the lesser priced trees are not always made as well. For me it is important that tall trees are heavy enough not to tip over when leaped on by a large adult cat.

I found a guy locally that will make a heavy, durable tree in the pattern that I desire using carpet scraps from my flooring. He will also deliver the tree when he has it made. It will come out cheaper than if I buy a good one online, and it will also match my carpet
Try doing a internet search for someone locally - or if you know anyone that is handy or does construction work perhaps you can have one made for you.

I also like these trees: http://www.catcondoheaven.com/store.html

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks nice and its very good price deal for the size too.

I always recommend a treehouse be a minimum of 4 feet high
I'd love to get that one for mine. But my cats are young - 1 yr and 2 yr olds. I think for senior cats, you'd want a little less climbing and maybe find one that has more ramps or ladders that would be easier for them to get up and down.

I've seen some really cute ladder treehouses at cat shows. Also you might want a larger base - if you have all the cats on there at once, it could tip over!

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got my cat tree from Go Pet Club. http://www.gopetclub.com/admin/produ...ures%20029.jpg
The post are solid wood and it is MUCH sturdier than the first cat tree I had. (I got mine on Ebay for $50.00 plus shipping, but they also have a website.) Another site that is known to have excellent trees is Playtime workshop http://www.playtimeworkshop.com/. They also sell on Ebay. They might be a bit more expensive, but it is worth it as the tree will be sturdy and last forever

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Speaking of Playtime Workshop, last month I won this cat condo from them on eBay: http://www.playtimeworkshop.com/townhouse.htm. My 2 adult cats seem to like it just fine. Of course, this is the only cat condo that I've ever bought, so I have nothing else to compare it to, but the construction seems really solid and the materials look like they're high quality. I like the fact that it's nice and sturdy. My cats only weigh a combined 21 pounds and I'm sure that this model can easily support at least twice that weight. You really need some ooomph to get it to tip over, and I doubt that a group of cats can do that, even if they join forces. Though with some of the posts that I read on What's New Pussycat I might be underestimating the feline will....

As iluvdevons said, it was more expensive than what most other places charged, but I thought it would be worth it. And the man I was in contact with, Mike, was very easy to deal with. He shipped when he said he would, gave the tracking number, the whole nine yards. I'm satisfied enough where I'm considering getting another condo from PW sometime in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful feedback and suggestions!