Before you need a vet

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As followers of this forum will note, many people write in with an injured or sick cat and ask for advice. The most common and sensible advice given out is "Please take your cat to a vet.". Knowledgeable readers can offer educational info, but no one can remotely heal your cat.

Often we will read of people who say they can't take their cat to a vet because they can't afford a vet. This is obviously a bad situation because their cat may in fact need professional care. If you have a cat and worry you may not be able to pay for a vet in the future, there are some things you can do now as a responsible care giver.

1) Put a few dollars in a jar every week: an amount you can afford. It may not be much, but it always can be something. Deny yourself some thing if necessary. Over time you will have quite a pot, and you can now afford emergency vet care. Should your current cat(s) never need the money then you can use it for something else (which you can't do if you pay for insurance and never really use it) or you can keep it for the next cat.

2) Get pet insurance.

3) Read this comprehensive article called "When you can't afford a vet" at http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/76/...erinarian.html

You and possibly the other responsible adults in your home are the the only people who are responsible for the health of your cats. Your responsibility does not diminish because you can't afford vet care. Take a step today, the last day of 2007 to begin providing for your cat in 2008 and beyond.

Happy new year to all.

Stephen

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well written ...

#2 depends a lot on which country your in ... as some insurance is much cheaper and covers more than in other s ... also like human insurance shop around every policy is different

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agreed very little with the article you mentioned.

I, myself, have 16 cats ONLY because I rescued them from Hurricane Andrew in Miami....they are all still alive and very old.

I did not decide that I wanted to take in all these kitties or "hoard", but could not bear to see them left outside. Some of them took lots of time to calm them down, get them to eat, etc., because they had been traumatized, injured and left alone in the storm.

I spent quite a bit of time advertising in the lost and found and trying to get people to adopt them. Nobody was in the position to do so because of the devasation in Miami. The vets, shelters, etc. were FULL and so I ended up with most of them, although found homes for two kittens.

Every one of them got shots and "fixed" because I had a caring vet in Miami.

Now, in Jacksonville, where I have moved, the vets are horrible. They charge me an arm and a leg testing the cats for things they did not have....because I guess they did not believe they had all their shots, etc.

At any rate, that does not matter. I have a clinic here now that you must stand outside in heat, cold and rain, to get into. The vet is wonderful and cheap, but it takes hours to get inside.

My point is....some people, perhaps in my situation, did not take the cats in for fun...but out of pity.

I deny myself many things for these cats, but turning off my computer is not a very "bright" idea to save money. Many ISP's are free and cost very little money. And, sometimes a cat forum can be fun, and brighten your day. And, I personally, have received much good advice. I would not risk a cat's life by not taking it to the vet, but have found many people on forums that KNOW what they are talking about and have helped me immensely.

I also use my computer to work and save money on long distance phone calls (email)..
Thank you.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

I agreed very little with the article you mentioned.

I, myself, have 16 cats ONLY because I rescued them from Hurricane Andrew in Miami....they are all still alive and very old.

I did not decide that I wanted to take in all these kitties or "hoard", but could not bear to see them left outside. Some of them took lots of time to calm them down, get them to eat, etc., because they had been traumatized, injured and left alone in the storm.

I spent quite a bit of time advertising in the lost and found and trying to get people to adopt them. Nobody was in the position to do so because of the devasation in Miami. The vets, shelters, etc. were FULL and so I ended up with most of them, although found homes for two kittens.

Every one of them got shots and "fixed" because I had a caring vet in Miami.

Now, in Jacksonville, where I have moved, the vets are horrible. They charge me an arm and a leg testing the cats for things they did not have....because I guess they did not believe they had all their shots, etc.

At any rate, that does not matter. I have a clinic here now that you must stand outside in heat, cold and rain, to get into. The vet is wonderful and cheap, but it takes hours to get inside.

My point is....some people, perhaps in my situation, did not take the cats in for fun...but out of pity.

I deny myself many things for these cats, but turning off my computer is not a very "bright" idea to save money. Many ISP's are free and cost very little money. And, sometimes a cat forum can be fun, and brighten your day. And, I personally, have received much good advice. I would not risk a cat's life by not taking it to the vet, but have found many people on forums that KNOW what they are talking about and have helped me immensely.

I also use my computer to work and save money on long distance phone calls (email)..
Thank you.
Your situation is exceptional, and I believe Stephen's post was meant for those who give little thought to medical expenses when they get pets, and regard cat sites as a "cheap alternative" to veterinary care, none of which applies in your case.

I'm one of those people who lives in a country where pet health insurance covers so little that it isn't worthwhile. I put what I can aside every month for vet bills, and when I find that I have a little bit more than what I consider a "safe" amount, I donate a spay/neuter to a shelter animal, or to somebody whom I know is contributing so much to animal rescue that they can barely meet basic living expenses.

Thanks for the reminder, Stephen.