Catnip

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, what is the best catnip? Holden went nuts for the "zoom" catnip that came with the boogie mat, but the Petco brand, not so much. Who has the good stuff?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the best is home grown and fresh! If not then anything dried, yet still greenish. You can pinch/grind them to make them even more potent in smell as well. I got a bag of dried up catnip that we have to keep out of the cats reach because Tiger got to it in its old bag and almost shredded it to bits. He's a nipohalic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ground some up and put it in the boogie mat. The stuff that came with the boogie mat was finely ground. The Petco stuff is not. So I ground it up! Lets see how he reacts to it.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have much luck with growing it... it sprouted and then died. I just buy the little bags of it at Tractor Supply.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i dont understand what catnip actually does to a cat i just think its really neat what they do with it. does anyone know what it does to them

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

So, what is the best catnip? Holden went nuts for the "zoom" catnip that came with the boogie mat, but the Petco brand, not so much. Who has the good stuff?
I use a brand from Petco called "Whisker City" and my two adults go crazy over it. But Persi totally ignored it until he was over six months old. My new little kitty ignores it also. I have read several times on here that cats ignore catnip until they reach six months or so.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Jamie got a bag of catnip from here:http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153020 from our Christmas SS, and has gone hogwild. He's usually very fussy about his catnip.
I'm glad Jamie likes the catnip! It's good stuff! When I got that shipment from Pat, the cats were clawing away at the box so they could smell it through plastic bags, packing peanuts and a cardboard box!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My Catnip died in less then 2 weeks. How can I make it last?
Can you plant it outside? We're the neighborhood kitty drug dealers, because we have several huge catnip plants in our yard (southside, very sunny, much precipitation).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I'm glad Jamie likes the catnip! It's good stuff! When I got that shipment from Pat, the cats were clawing away at the box so they could smell it through plastic bags, packing peanuts and a cardboard box!
It's very potent! Jamie was asleep upstairs when your package arrived, so I put everything under the Christmas tree. When he came downstairs, he immediately grabbed the bag, scratched it open, and rolled around on it.
I put some in his Boogie Mats, and he's been dragging them around the house and rolling on them. I've now got the "stash" in a drawer he can't reach, packed in two Ziploc bags.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like home grown the best followed by Cosmic. They love the Whiskers City catnip toys but not the loose catnip.

They got some 'hot cat' catnip toys at Christmas and went crazy for them too